Rising Sun Spitfire Canopy Color

Thread: Rising Sun Spitfire Canopy Color

Rising Sun Spitfire Canopy Color

Because of difficulties with the install on my system I've never done much with the Rising Sun version. I was recently going through the aircraft that are included and noticed that the Spitfires all have yellow tinted canopies. That prompted a look to see if there were any intentionally produced this way for the pacific theater, but I failed to turn anything up in the history. Does anyone know if this yellow tinting is something that was purposely done for operational reasons or is it simply supposed to represent sun aged perspex?
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

I've never seen, or heard of a tinted Spitfire canopy, the only thing I have heard that was ever tinted was the pilots goggles, off the top of my head they were a sage green tint used mainly in the Med theatre, it was supposed to help with ultraviolet rays?
    Personally I think the yellow tints are a CFS3 mistake Andy.
    John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

I think it goes back to the Windows XP days, when the canopy reflections worked correctly by default. The tint didn't show up.

I did some more research and found that Perspex doesn't yellow with age, and WWII vintage examples are still as clear as the day they were made.

The more modern Polycarbonate (Lexan) on the other hand can yellow rather quickly if it does not have a UV protective coating applied when it's made. Both heat and moisture can also yellow PC rather quickly.

Perhaps these were just intended to be modern day stealth Spitfires...
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

John
    (DR/ MAW/ ETO/ PTO Textures)

Keep it coming!

Rene has been correcting this on all the aircraft we've worked on which originally have tinted canopies. The Zuyax Spitfires came with slightly greenish canopies, as did many other aircraft. The stock Mustang IV comes to mind.

Needless to say, none of them had tinted canopies during the War.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ATTACK IN THE WEST
    MED AIRWAR

Thanks for the feedback!
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Members who have read this thread: 1