JF F4F Wildcat Tailhook Settings?

Thread: JF F4F Wildcat Tailhook Settings?

JF F4F Wildcat Tailhook Settings?

Need some help please. I cannot get the Wildcat aboard without nosing over. I can catch the cable 99% of the time but then nose over. I've tried adjusting all 3 -- distance aft, length, and height, in differing combinations adjusting in increments of 0.5 but haven't been able to find a working combination.

As always, your help will be greatly appreciated.

Stock settings:
    // Original Tailhook Settings
    //[TailHook]
    //tailhook_length = 4.000
    //tailhook_position = -16.000, 0.000, -1.000
    //cable_force_adjust = 1.000000

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Win7 Home Prem.; ASUS P6TSE; Intel i7 960 (OC 4.0GHz); 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600; Sapphire Radeon Dual-X R9 270 2GB GDDR5; ViewSonic 24" VX2433wm; FSX Drive Dedicated Samsung EVO 840 SSD 250GB

My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Re JF Wildcat tailhook

you might try this it works for me:

Locate this section in the Aircraft.cfg.

[TailHook]

Delete the whole section = 4 lines.

copy paste this replacement in its place,

[TailHook]
    tailhook_length = 2.50
    tailhook_position = -20.100, 0.000, -0.500
    cable_force_adjust = 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by llanning08 View Post
    you might try this it works for me:

Locate this section in the Aircraft.cfg.

[TailHook]

Delete the whole section = 4 lines.

copy paste this replacement in its place,

[TailHook]
    tailhook_length = 2.50
    tailhook_position = -20.100, 0.000, -0.500
    cable_force_adjust = 2.0
    Thank you llanning08. Will definitely give it a try. Iíll let you know how it works for me.
    Duckie

Win7 Home Prem.; ASUS P6TSE; Intel i7 960 (OC 4.0GHz); 12GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600; Sapphire Radeon Dual-X R9 270 2GB GDDR5; ViewSonic 24" VX2433wm; FSX Drive Dedicated Samsung EVO 840 SSD 250GB

.... Iíll let you know how it works for me...

Sorry to report it didn't work. I was unable to catch a wire after many tries. I lengthened the hook in 0.1000 increments up to 3.000 when i began catching wires but the nose over was still there. I'll try some more tomorrow.

Thanks,

Steve
    Duckie

Make sure that when you trap, you have the right sink rate, and, in particular, the right AOA for the plane you're flying.

Also, make sure the WOD is correct for the particular plane you're in, and that you are right on the centerline.

Having said all that, you can try lowering the cable_force_adjust = 2.0 value. Try taking it down to 0.5. That's probably too low, but you can then slowly work it up from there until it stops the plane, but doesn't nose over.
    Second, another thing to try is lowering the
    tailhook_position = -16.000, 0.000, -1.000 vertical value, the third value following the equals sign. Take it down to about 1/2 the value of the main gear's contact point vertical value. You may need to adjust the tailhook_length = 2.50 value until the tail hook is about the same vertical value as the mains gear's contact point vertical value. If the mains contact point vertical is, for example, -5.00, make the tail hook's vertical position -2.50, and the length is 2.50. If you lower the tail hook's vertical position another 0.5, to -3.00, try it, and slowly raise the length a bit. Make it, for example, 2.25, and see if that works.

Finally, thy moving the
    tailhook_position = -20.100, 0.000, -0.50 longitudinal position, the first value after the equals sign, farther aft. Try -25.00. Be careful though. You want to make certain the longitudinal position is actually aft of the plane model's center point.
    Check the position of the lights somewhere near the tail's vertical fin in the [lights] section. If the light's longitudinal position is a positive number, make the tail hook's position positive, and keep making it more positive, not more negative.
    Or check the [
    Views] section, which is the pilot's eyepoint. See where it is relative to the plane model's center point. Does it make the plane's center point look like it's on the tip of the plane's nose, or is it very near the main gear's longitudinal position, making somewhere near the plane center of gravity, ie: near the middle of the wing's chord.
    Once again, the whole point is to ensure that the tail hook's longitudinal position is AFT the center point. If it seems to be forward of the center point, it can make all kinds of interesting problems.

Hope something in all my rambling helps a little...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Thank you Pat. I finally got it consistently coming aboard last night but it wasnít pretty. This little roadster really loves to float and the throttle needs the tenderest of touches or its off like a rocket. It Needs some more adjusting and your explanation of the elements involved will certainly be useful. Not at my flying machine or Iíd post up the settings I ended with last night. Iíll do that at my next adjustment session later this evening.

Thanks again Pat, and thanks to llanning08 for giving me a better starting point than I initially was using.

Steve
    Duckie

OK. Here's the best I could get it for now. I can catch a wire 99% of the time, no nose overs or wing dips. The tail comes up to about center line but then settles quickly to the deck.

[TailHook]
    tailhook_length = 2.100
    tailhook_position = -21.000, 0.000, -1.25
    cable_force_adjust= 1.500

Thanks for the help you guys.

Steve
    Duckie

Glad I could be a little help. Remember, consistancy is the key to good traps. That and the right AOA for the plane's weight.

Have fun!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 133