P3D/FSX DC-6/7 Air Tankers?

Thread: P3D/FSX DC-6/7 Air Tankers?

P3D/FSX DC-6/7 Air Tankers?

I was thinking about this earlier today. There are some fantastic propliners out there of the DC-6 and DC-7 on Cal Classics for P3D/FSX, which is what I've been flying as I fly strictly in P3D v4.5. I know that the JBK v3 DC-4/C-54 tankers (and associated liner and freighter models) have been converted for P3D v4 compatibility fairly recently. But my question is, has anyone seen or thought about doing the air tanker versions of the DC-6 and DC-7 for P3D v4+ (and FSX)? I've personally messed with merging tanks onto some models in modelconverterx for personal use, but I was wondering if someone has thought about it? I mean the liners and freighter versions are great, but the air tanker realm remains largely untouched in that respect. Granted the DC-6s aren't in fire fighting service anymore, but the DC-7 still is. Erickson has 3 of them still flying on fires in the PNW and parts of California. And personally the DC-7 is one of my favorite tankers. Especially in Erickson's new-ish paint scheme. Anyway, I thought this would be a great place to ask about it.

Repaint I'm working on for the Cal Classic DC-7
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dc-7.jpg  

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

The more air tankers the better. I might even have to reinstall FSX or get Prepar3D if there is enough people that want to simulate tanker ops. I have followed the tanker industry for years and I am now privileged to be the assistant tanker base manager for a BLM Air tanker base.

Hi,
    P3DV4 compatibility for the JBK DC4 ? Where can I find this plane? Thank's!
    JMC

Quote Originally Posted by gastonj View Post
    Hi,
    P3DV4 compatibility for the JBK DC4 ? Where can I find this plane? Thank's!
    JMC
    Yep, I had been scouring the internet looking for one other than the payware one from Flight Replicas. Lo and behold, I guess Tom over at Cal Classics converted it back in August of this year. Has all versions including the tanker version.

http://calclassic.proboards.com/thre...mdls-available

I already threw a repaint on it a few weeks ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dc-4.jpg  

Thank's, downloaded!

JMC

Anyone remember that saying if you want something done, do it yourself? Yeah, this is happening. Not long ago I received permission to convert the mentioned DC-6 and DC-7s from the wonderful folks over at Cal Classics. Their crew did such an amazing job on these aircraft originally. I was overjoyed to be allowed to do these ladies up. Conversions were all done using MCX believe it or not. I've learned a lot over the past few months messing with it. The tanks are from them as well, from the CV-580s converted to FSX native by Bjoern Kesten. Still developing them at the moment, but the tanks and some of the repaints are getting done, which are also being done by myself. Since I'm a P3D only user, I'm not sure if I'll be able to get these modified versions to FSX or not. I'm not a cross platform guru. But since I only have the P3D SDK I assume that means I can only put them into P3D .mdl format? Some direction there would be appreciated if at all possible. But here are some of the ones I've worked on so far.

DC-6

DC-7
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DC-6 Pack.jpg   dc-7PACK.jpg  

Some development shots. I've done some more modification to some of the versions. Added some other repaints to the packages too. I'm thinking the DC-6 and DC-7 will stand at 7 repaints each in the pack. I can always do more later in repaint packages. The DC-6 will have a standard version, one with the CB-17 engines and the spinner hubs, and a long tank version with the spinner hubs that was found on the Sis-Q DC-6s. The liveries for the DC-6 will have Macavia/Sis-Q, Sis-Q, Securite Civile, TBM, Conair, and a few others I've yet to source. The DC-7s will have a single version most likely unless I find reference to warrant another version of it. Liveries will represent those found for Butler Aviation, Erickson-Aero, and International Air Response. Butler had an assortment of liveries, some were custom, and others were based off the commercial liveries. International Air Response's single DC-7 was also based off a commercial livery.

IAR and Macavia liveries for the DC-7 and DC-6

Erickson DC-7

TBM DC-6
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dc-7test.jpg   6and7.jpg   DC-6.jpg  

Some video of some dusk flights tonight as I complete the paints for the DC-7s.

https://www.facebook.com/SimulatedAi...17551145203822

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DC=7launch.jpg  

Happy New Year! I've been working on both the DC-6 and DC-7s the last few days off and on when I can. The DC-6s will have 3 different versions. A CB-16 powered version and 2 CB-17 powered versions, one with a longer tank to represent the Sis-Q tank (although not completely accurate). The DC-7s will have 2 versions, one with radomes and one without. The DC-6s will have liveries representing the following. Sis-Q, Sis-Q/Macavia, Securite Civile, Conair, and TBM. The DC-7s will have liveries from Butler Aircraft and Erickson Aero. Erickson bought out Butler's aircraft obtaining T-60, 62, and 66 and repainting them after a few seasons that look similar to their MD-87s. T-69 was actually lost in the late 70s in a post season ferry flight unfortunately, but I've still chosen to represent it. And lastly International Air Response's T-33. Which has recently been restored to flying condition, minus the tank. I've represented it as well in this pack. Interesting thing about the DC-7s, is that most of them kept their ex-commercial airline colors and were simply adapted into their air tanker liveries. Which is another reason I wanted to include T-33 and T-66's liveries in particular. Erickson's is so easily recognizable in my opinion, the orange, black, green, and white contrast very well for firefighting in my opinion. Thinking this will probably be done by some time this month. I plan on releasing them as nearly a completed pack. The only thing you'll need is the base aircraft from Cal Classics in order for the sounds and panels to work. I thought this would be easier to deal with as to how Cal Classics has their aircraft install it was less of a headache for me to find everything and package it all together. I also figured as they did give me permission to mod their aircraft, it's only fair to also pay homage to the original aircraft that brought these to life. Knowing me, I'll probably release repaint packs for these later on for more operator liveries. I didn't want to go overboard on them out of the gate. I've already spent a lot of time on just the ones included. I've also sourced a solution for making these FSX native so they'll also work in P3D v4+. Originally, since I'm doing all the mods in MCX and P3D v4.5, with the SDKs it was going to exclude FSX users. Which I didn't want to do, so it put a bit of a roadblock up for a bit as I don't own FSX. But I've eliminated that problem by sourcing the P3D V1.4 SDK for exports. Added bonus. I wont have to do two versions of each aircraft.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tanker62.jpg   radome.jpg  

Leave it to me to not stop messing with stuff. I've added another version to the DC-6 fleet. I'm for sure done adding liveries and versions. I've put my foot down for good on that lol. But I've added another version to Securite Civile's fleet, so now T-61 and T-62 are represented. What will come now is really just cleaning up the things I've missed and/or left behind. And of course testing. I'm hoping they should be done in the next 2 weeks. I will probably upload a final livery layout/sneak peak once all the textures are cleaned up on all the models.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DC-6CS.jpg  

Tonight I'm finishing up running these back through MCX and the P3D V1.4 SDK to make them FSX native again. These hopefully should work from FSX all the way up to P3D V4.5. Which they do on my machine at the current time. So file cleanup, last minute texturing, and getting ready to release these are pretty much all that's left to do. I think by January 17th, 2020 they'll be ready to go. Cal Classic's base DC-6A, DC-6B (CB-17 powered ones with the prop spinners) and their DC-7 base pack will be required as the panels are from those models. Otherwise people will have to put their own panels in them. 90% of the files needed will be included. Just the panels and whatever sounds you want on them will be up to you. I'm getting excited personally. They turned out pretty good. Cal Classic's sounds available on their website are very well done and that's what I've been using on my versions.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dc-7a.jpg   dc-7t60b.jpg   dc-7t60.jpg  

Finishing up cleaning the files up and the last bit of tweaks. Both versions should be released sometime this week. The DC-6 will include 3 variants. A DC-6 with R2800 CB-16 engines, A DC-6 with the R2800 CB-17 engines and prop hub spinners, and a CB-17 powered version with a longer tank. The DC-7 will have two variations. One with radomes and one without them. The DC-6 versions have custom repaints for TBM Inc, 2 for Securite CIvile, Sis-Q, Sis-Q/Macavia, and Conair. The DC-7s will represent 3 from Butler Aviation, 3 from Erickson Aero, and one from T&G Aviation. It's likely there will probably be repaint packs done of these later on. But these are the ones I've decided to release with the base models. I've also opted to keep the sounds that Cal Classics has suggested be used with these in the files and their authors credit given. The base aircraft from Cal Classics will still be required in order for the exhaust flames, squeaking brakes, coded superchargers, reverse thrust options, as well as all the appropriate gauges and documentation to appear and work properly. Drop effects are coded into these model's aircraft.cfg, but the effects are not included (you can add your own). SOH has a great red fire retardant option that I personally use (the one I coded into the aircraft.cfg for these models) as well as a version of it that appears as water instead of the red fire retardant on Massimo Taccoli's CL-415. Those are what I recommend. If you use FirefighterX from Lorby then it's not of concern. I use both and just switch them back and forth between training with water and retardant for virtual fires.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dc-6.jpg   dc-7.jpg  

BOTH aircraft have been completed and uploaded!

As of 05:30AM 1/15/2020. Both the DC-6 and DC-7s have been completed and uploaded to SOH and Simviation. It's been a nerve racking last few hours as this is my first upload of a big project like this. I'm hoping everything works and turned out properly! I have to throw a huge thank you to Cal Classics for allowing me to mod their aircraft. They were great aircraft to begin with.

DC-6:
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...9&linkid=26214

DC-7
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...9&linkid=26215
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DC-6b.jpg   dc-7b.jpg  

Members who have read this thread: 1