VR

Thread: VR

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

VR

I hesitate to ask this but as I am looking into virtual reality I am trying to find out what’s best setup for X-Plane. It seems that everyone who has tried it raves about what a game changer it is.

would there be enough users on the outhouse to have a forum for vr? I feel others may be interested and there is a need to know the best setups for flight swimming (including FSX, P3D). Comments?

Bob

I won't fly any other way. Once you do it, it's hard to go back. I have a HP Reverb arriving tomorrow (hopefully a good one) to replace my Samsung Odysee. I need to check out the hiher resolution.

LouP

Yeah VR is amazing in XP11. The default VR works very well. I pretty much just use the same settings in VR as with 2D monitor, but I do use a utility to improve performance; 3jFPS Wizard. This helps to maintain a constant, improved FPS level to reduce any stutters or pauses. Another similar utility is VMI Twick VR.

One annoyance about VR in XP11 is the difficulty in manipulating switches and knobs. XP11, or the plane developers, make this really difficult, as the click spots seem to be tiny, and it just does not work as smoothly as P3D for example. The really annoying thing is that if you use your scroll wheel to rotate a knob, and the cursor slips off the click spot, the zoom will be activated. This is especially annoying in VR. I do use a script called "No More Zoom" to try and counter this, but unfortunately this also removes the ability to use the scroll wheel for many knobs and dials in almost all aircraft.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    This is also one of my pet peeves. Sometimes it seems impossible to bring up one of those tiny curved arrows and the lose it when the plane moves.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Does anyone know whether the Quest is any good for x-plane. Hear good things about it just nothing about xp.

I thought there would be more interest in vr in the community but guess not and new forum for vr is not needed.

I am happy with the Oculus Rift S. Its easy to set up and use because you get the two controllers with it and it doesn't require extra sensors. There are other VR headsets available with slightly higher quality but you will pay substantially more money. IMHO, It's great value for the money and it works with everything (Steam, FlyInside Sim, FSX & P3D V1-3 with FlyInside, P3D V4 native or with FlyInside, Aerofly FS2, DCS, XP 10 with FlyInside and XP 11 native). It also works well with the racing sims that support VR.

To summarise, If you want VR and don't want to spend too much, the Rift S is an excellent choice. VFR using the Orbx TrueEarth sceneries is breathtaking.
    i9-10900k @ 5GHz | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz C16 | ROG Strix RTX 3080 Ti O12G Gaming
    i7-4790k @ 4GHz | 32GB DDR3 2133MHz | AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G
    Win 10 Pro 22H2 x64 | GeForce 551.86 WHQL | Oculus Rift CV1 & S | Acer Predator XB281HK G-Sync 4K | Saitek X52 | T.Flight Rudder Pedals | MS Sidewinder FF2 | FS9, FSX, FSX SE, P3D V2, V3, V4, V5, V6, FSW, XP 10.51, XP 11.55, XP 12.0.9-rc-5, AFS2, AFS4, FlyInside FS, DCS, MSFS

Yeah I agree. I had the Oculus Rift CV1, and was very happy with that for a number of years. I was hesitant to upgrade tothe Rift S because my CV1 worked so well. I did get the Rift S though, and I'm so glad I did. The screen resolution is much improved over the CV1, and the built in sensors and touch controllers are awesome. I use mine with FSX, P3D (both with Flyinside), Flyinside Flight Simulator, XP11, AFS2, DCS World (probably the best VR experience), IL2 CoD and BoS, Project Cars 1 and 2, Assetto Corsa, Euro Truck Simulator and American Truck Simulator. That's just the simulators. There are also plenty of other great games and apps available.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Now to pry the $$$ out from the clutches of the Mrs.

Quote Originally Posted by b52bob View Post
    Now to pry the $$$ out from the clutches of the Mrs.
    i9-10900k @ 5GHz | 32GB DDR4 3600MHz C16 | ROG Strix RTX 3080 Ti O12G Gaming
    i7-4790k @ 4GHz | 32GB DDR3 2133MHz | AORUS GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G
    Win 10 Pro 22H2 x64 | GeForce 551.86 WHQL | Oculus Rift CV1 & S | Acer Predator XB281HK G-Sync 4K | Saitek X52 | T.Flight Rudder Pedals | MS Sidewinder FF2 | FS9, FSX, FSX SE, P3D V2, V3, V4, V5, V6, FSW, XP 10.51, XP 11.55, XP 12.0.9-rc-5, AFS2, AFS4, FlyInside FS, DCS, MSFS

Need to report that the Reverb turned out better than my expectations. It's so nice being able to see my scenery again in VR almost as good as it was on my monitors.

LouP

Members who have read this thread: 0