Feature Discovery Series Episode 3: Aerodynamics

Thread: Feature Discovery Series Episode 3: Aerodynamics

Feature Discovery Series Episode 3: Aerodynamics

The latest in the Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) Feature Discovery Series, featuring "Aerodynamics", but more in detail, the improved physics engine, the new surface element aerodynamics, the new air mass simulation and some of the new systems coding. Tons of stunning(!) new footage from the sim as well. So much impressed me in this video that I could write a few paragraphs about it, but I'll just leave this post as is. Of course it is best to watch the video in full screen/full resolution.

Video #4 is due out on November 27th, covering "Cockpits".

The modeling and movement of flaps, 4:40....!

The gear on the 747 at 4:50....and engine exhaust...

Among so many other items touched on in the video, I am very impressed by how the wind/airflow is affected by every single object/particle in the sim - by the shape of the land (hills, mountains and valleys), the shape of clouds, forests, and by the shape of each and every individual building, so precisely affecting the way in which the air/wind flows over and around them and the resulting effects that will be encountered. I can imagine flying low around a high rise city (especially when rotorcraft eventually get brought to the sim) and feeling the difference in the wind and airflow being encountered with every passing building.

Wonderful advancements. Early days yet, but I noticed that the sloping runway airfield had an elevation issue. Maybe some things remain the same !! ..about 1:50 into the vid.

Greenie, that is just how the real airport (Courchevel) actually looks, with the sloped land all around the edges of the runway - a man-made plateau of sorts where they formed the runway.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; November 22nd, 2019 at 09:44.

....I'm not often right - but I bet I got it wrong this time ! lol

The real thing....

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dd6f0ff5a2c5145cebb36b38d8572a01.jpg  

Very interesting. Certainly an ambitious project. Aerodynamically very small items can greatly effect the overall performance and handling of an aircraft. This would seem to put a lot of demand on the graphic aircraft creator to get everything just right. For instance in a laminar flow airfoil even a small imperfection in surface or shape makes a big difference.

The question interjects: Will we have adjustments?

And will we have an accurate model of engine damaging or at least the option to have it.

I will take everything they give us but like others I have my desires I would like to see filled.

So far it looks good

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

This is going to leave FSX, P3D, and, dare I say it, XPlane 11 in the dust.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    This is going to leave FSX, P3D, and, dare I say it, XPlane 11 in the dust.
    Not for me, unless my add-ons (already purchased for FSX) will be backwards compatible. I cannot afford to buy all new add-ons anymore. Nope. I would have to be content with what I have. NC
    Last edited by Navy Chief; November 24th, 2019 at 11:01.

The new aerodynamics will definitely offer much better fidelity than the old system. Having said that, I'm glad the old system is there and I hope "older" FS aircraft can automatically access it without having to set it manually. I'll be interested to see how it's (the new FDE) implemented for development in the SDK as it regards specific aircraft models. Hopefully, based on the way they're implementing the aero and the mass distribution it will automatically calculate accurate damping.

I'm also glad to see the atmospheric modeling. When I fly through canyons now, I tend to stick to the updraft (windward) side, even though it doesn't mean anything at the moment. It's nice to see it being implemented. But what I think is going to make this system even more fun is hitting the updrafts in gliders.

What I really want to know is what does the file structure look like in comparison to FSX. Are there the same 4 files or is it a whole new system. I am looking forward to reading the new SDK. Hopefully there will be some clues there. Will we be able to build FDEs using AIRED. If it's a new system will MS provide us with the tools to build or modify flight dynamics or will we be locked out. Lots of questions so far, no answers.

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    What I really want to know is what does the file structure look like in comparison to FSX. Are there the same 4 files or is it a whole new system. I am looking forward to reading the new SDK. Hopefully there will be some clues there. Will we be able to build FDEs using AIRED. If it's a new system will MS provide us with the tools to build or modify flight dynamics or will we be locked out. Lots of questions so far, no answers.
    for the new aerodynamics, I doubt it. But, they did say that the old FSX physics would still be available to use, as an option. So maybe in this mode yes...
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

Quote Originally Posted by mal998 View Post
    If it's a new system will MS provide us with the tools to build or modify flight dynamics or will we be locked out. Lots of questions so far, no answers.
    They have stated that the SDK will contain tools and detailed instructions for every facet of the sim. It would be pretty stupid not to provide everyone with the tools we need to become the core of the 3rd party ecosystem!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Yep...
    This will probably definitely pull me out of retirement - and well worth the 10+ year wait!

Quote Originally Posted by Panther_99FS View Post
    Yep...
    This will probably definitely pull me out of retirement - and well worth the 10+ year wait!
    Really Ed? Looking forward to seeing you back in the skies again...with some great Panthers

It might pull me out of semi-retirement as I finally got tired of pauses, blurries and constant tweaking and of late I have been enjoying my old hobby of ham radio.
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    It might pull me out of semi-retirement as I finally got tired of pauses, blurries and constant tweaking and of late I have been enjoying my old hobby of ham radio.
    I've got a shiny relatively new IC-7300 on my desk and an FT-857 in my car. Neither one sees much use because when I am home I'm busy working, and when I'm infrequently in the car it's not long enough to turn the radio on, much less call out "CQ..."
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    I've got a shiny relatively new IC-7300 on my desk and an FT-857 in my car. Neither one sees much use because when I am home I'm busy working, and when I'm infrequently in the car it's not long enough to turn the radio on, much less call out "CQ..."
    Love the IC-7300, Bill and I decided to get the matching IC-9700 too. However I seem to spend more time on my RSP1A SDR where most of the work is done by my new Win 10 pc.

Oops sorry for going off topic guys
    SYSTEM :
    DX version Dx10 with Steve's Fixer.
    Processor:I5 4670k overclocked to 4.4 gHz with Corsair CW-9060008-WW hydro cooler
    Motherboard:Z87
    RAM:16 gig 1866 gigaHz Corsair ram
    Video Card:MSI 1070 8 gig ram
    HD:2Tb Samsung 850 evo SSD

To err is human; to forgive is divine

I see FS2020 being able to portover P3D v4 aircraft, but nothing earlier than that. In my opinion, V4 will be the baseline standard as it is completely 64-bit and uses PBR. Which is what FS2020 uses from what I've seen/read. So that means aircraft built for v4, in theory of course, should work in FS2020. Aircraft that don't have separated VC models, older textures, or 32-bit xml gauges likely wont be compatible. This is assuming the file types remain the same as they currently are. I too am wary of investing much more money into P3D as the rather unjustified inflation of addon prices has turned a lot of people off to investing into it. Which is why portover compatibility is so important to people. The hobby as a whole has got a LOT more expensive since FSX first came out. In some cases you're paying almost twice the cost of P3D Academic for example, for just 1 aircraft. Forget it if you want global scenery on top if it like Orbx. Say you have 2 PMDG aircraft, maybe the VRS SuperBug and Tac Pack, Orbx scenery, and 2 things from say Quality Wings or Carenado that's close $400+ right there. But I digress. I think P3D V4 will be the aircraft standard.

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Not for me, unless my add-ons (already purchased for FSX) will be backwards compatible. I cannot afford to buy all new add-ons anymore. Nope. I would have to be content with what I have. NC
    +1

Members who have read this thread: 0