Feature Discovery Series Episode 3: Aerodynamics

Thread: Feature Discovery Series Episode 3: Aerodynamics

Hybrid View

Feature Discovery Series Episode 3: Aerodynamics

The latest in the Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020) Feature Discovery Series, featuring "Aerodynamics", but more in detail, the improved physics engine, the new surface element aerodynamics, the new air mass simulation and some of the new systems coding. Tons of stunning(!) new footage from the sim as well. So much impressed me in this video that I could write a few paragraphs about it, but I'll just leave this post as is. Of course it is best to watch the video in full screen/full resolution.

Video #4 is due out on November 27th, covering "Cockpits".

The modeling and movement of flaps, 4:40....!

The gear on the 747 at 4:50....and engine exhaust...

Among so many other items touched on in the video, I am very impressed by how the wind/airflow is affected by every single object/particle in the sim - by the shape of the land (hills, mountains and valleys), the shape of clouds, forests, and by the shape of each and every individual building, so precisely affecting the way in which the air/wind flows over and around them and the resulting effects that will be encountered. I can imagine flying low around a high rise city (especially when rotorcraft eventually get brought to the sim) and feeling the difference in the wind and airflow being encountered with every passing building.

Wonderful advancements. Early days yet, but I noticed that the sloping runway airfield had an elevation issue. Maybe some things remain the same !! ..about 1:50 into the vid.

Greenie, that is just how the real airport (Courchevel) actually looks, with the sloped land all around the edges of the runway - a man-made plateau of sorts where they formed the runway.
    Last edited by Bomber_12th; November 22nd, 2019 at 09:44.

Members who have read this thread: 0