Interesting article about filming of "The Final Countdown"

Thread: Interesting article about filming of "The Final Countdown"

Interesting article about filming of "The Final Countdown"

Great article, Chief! Saw this movie when it first came out
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

I did too, Zippy. Enjoyed it thoroughly.
    Got a laugh out of the "Zeros". They'd been using the T-6 as a Zero for a long time. When the movie Pearl Harbor first came out, long ago, I went to see it in a theatre. My father had been an Navy instructor in the T-6, and he would rant about the movies using them. How I learned the "secret".
    Really kinda cool, it was advertised as being in SenSurround, a new kind of sound system. When the explosions started during the Japanese attack, the whole theatre was booming and rumbling. Really awesome! Then, we found ound out a really powerful thunderstorm had moved in, matching the timing of the movie perfectly. No wonder the theatre was rattling and booming so well!

By the way, the Nimitz, or Numb-Nutz if you prefer, has been the Navy's "show boat" for a long time. They also had the worst accident and injury record in the Navy for a long time. Don't know if they still do...

Still enjoyed the flying in the Final Countdown. Just me, I guess
    The article sounds like Hollywood's usual unrealistic expectations. Just put a helicopter there, and fly past it, really slow, but with the wings back. Doesn't matter the real aerodynamics, it would look "cool"!
    Ummmm...yeah...
    The Tomcat appearing behind the zero out of the clouds DID look awesome, though. They got that shot right!

Have fun, all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Filmed in 04, not sure how I missed this one. Great movie and even as a young lad not knowing how Hollywood did things, I remember seeing the visor reflection of an A-6 cockpit and thinking I caught an editing error!
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

Members who have read this thread: 0