FYI...Google Chrome v Java

Thread: FYI...Google Chrome v Java

FYI...Google Chrome v Java

Got bit by this one last night. Tried to get online and my Chrome app didn't work(dead).
    Did the re-boot/un-install/re-install thing, none of which worked.
    O.K., back to "troubleshooting 101". Whats the last thing I messed with...Java update.
    Used msn.com to get on Java's site and found this:
    Java and Google Chrome BrowserThis article applies to:
    Browser(s) Chrome
    Chrome no longer supports NPAPI (technology required for Java applets)
    The Java Plugin for web browsers relies on the cross-platform plugin architecture NPAPI, which had been supported by all major web browsers for over a decade. Google's Chrome version 45 and above have dropped support for NPAPI, and therefore Java Plugin do not work on these browsers anymore.

Java applications are offered through web browsers as either a web start application (which do not interact with the browser once they are launched) or as a Java applet (which might interact with the browser). This change does not affect Web Start applications, it only impacts applets.

Developers and System administrators looking for alternative ways to support users of Chrome should see this blog regarding Launching Web Start applications.

RELATED INFORMATION

NPAPI Plugin support discontinued
    NPAPI plugins and Chrome 42 and higher (google.com)
    Google Chrome Help Center (google.com)
    Google Chrome's Help Center was no help (ref."NPAPI Plugin support discontinued").
    Since Java is used by just about everything internet/computer/device related it's important to keep it up dated. I'll be looking for a new web browser. If I have to, I'll go back to msn.com
    Any suggestions other than Mozilla(firefox) would be welcome.

Butch

'Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword, obviously never encountered automatic weapons.
    - Gen. Douglas MacArthur -

Chrome stopped using Java some time ago, but I rarely miss it. I also use Opera which is excellent and has a built-in VPN.

Members who have read this thread: 0