USS Essex CV-9 Campaign revision 2020 released! - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: USS Essex CV-9 Campaign revision 2020 released!

Hi Shadow Wolf

The dp is apparently pure fantasy. My curiosity was up so I dug into my library to see what the real world load out for the SB2C was.

What I found in some detailed studies: In it's internal bay it could carry either a single 1,000 lb bomb or 2x 500 lb bombs. On the external bomb racks it could carry a 500 lb bomb, or a 250 lb bomb. Rockets could replace the bomb racks on the dash 4 model. Maximum load it could carry was 2000 lbs total.

With modifications it was designed to be able to carry a 2000 lb bomb or a Mark 13 torpedo in the internal bay, but I could find no record of that ever being implemented. Nothing was ever mounted externally on the belly.

So your choices for a realistic bomb load are:

Heavy = 1x 1000 lb OR 2x 500 lb bombs internal bay plus a 500 lb bomb on each wing mount.

Medium = 1x 1000 lb OR 2x 500 lb bombs internal bay plus a 250 lb bomb on each wing mount.

Light = 1x 1000 lb OR 2x 500 lb bombs internal bay

In the SB2C-4 model, rockets can replace the wing mounted bombs.

Are you able to set up a weapons load out in the .dp?

Regarding the Corsair, probably the best option IMHO is DBolt's F4U-1D Corsair. There are also the Overhauled stock, the FDG2 and the Aeroplane Heaven Corsairs you could look at, but I think overall appearance, Sergio's comes out ahead (excepting the cockpit/pilot).

Do you have any reference photos of the CV-9 Corsair markings?

BTW as a complete side note, my father was a Navy flight instructor in 1944. In 1945 when the Navy was winding down training new pilots, he was slated to train in SB2Cs for deployment. I don't think he was happy about the prospect of flying that plane. The war ended before he could be transferred to dive bombers so he never had to get into one.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Hi Captain Kurt:

That is good to know. The anti-Yamato missions are the only ones where the SB2C4 utilizes the "bombs heavy" loadout. For convenience sake, I'll leave it alone. On the other topic, I decided to to modify a few missions use your F4U1D CORSAIR VF-84.zip. She fits the bill.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Weekly update:

I am up to FEB 1942 - Mission 17 of 47 missions - in my new ship and plane update work. I have already done missions 43-47 inserts of the F4U-D. At the rate I am going, it should be another 2-3 weeks before campaign release...
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Looking forward to it Shadow Wolfe. Thanks for the update.

msfossey

Cool

Msfossey: I am cleaning it up, putting the correct types of destroyers in (thanks to recent creations by Stuart277) , putting in F4U-D corsairs into the last 5 missions as I discovered a large number of them came aboard in 1945, and cleaning up the mission briefings. The campaign will require a fresh, clean install as it requires Rhumba's PTO mesh and you'll have to remove most of the stock ships to make room for the "new US and Japanese navies - some 60 ships all told. It spans the PTO from Marcus Is. to Okinawa and the Japanese home waters.

Fortunately, one of my future campaign updates - USS Saratoga CV-3 - will use most of the same downloads, thus the same install can be used. ElsnerMarkus is currently testing the campaign with the older, "alpha" missions and I'm test flying the newer ones. So far, so good...

It will consist of 4 separate campaigns: 1. A campaign with the player flying a fighter only; 2. One where you'll only be in an Avenger; 3. One in a dive bomber - SBD3/5 or SB2C; and 4. A combined campaign where you'll randomly fly either of the 3 types of aircraft. The total is 120 individual missions but the player will fly 47 in the combined campaign.

More screenshots to follow.

SW07
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Bombing and strafing Cebu City, Philippines:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails esx_015B.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Finished!

I will upload later tonight or tomorrow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails esx_018b.jpg   esx_019b.jpg   esx_021a.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

USS_Essex_CV-9_Campaign-2020.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Campaigns Add-Ons

Description: Welcome aboard! You will serve on the USS Essex - first of a new class of US carriers - in the Pacific Theatre of Operations. You will be thrown into the fray right after her commissioning and fight your way across the Pacific. You may be flying by random choice the SBD-3/5, SB2C, TBF, F6F-3/5/5N or later the F4U. You will find yourself over Wake, Tarawa, Rabaul, Truk and the Marianas. You will prticipate in raids and strikes on the Philippines, Formosa and on Japan itself as well as strikes on the Imperial Japanese fleet and fighting off waves of Kamikazes.

In this campaign set the USN is on the offensive. Out of all the actions in which she participated, I chose a good, representative sampling of the major engagements of this great ship from her first action until near the end of the war in the Pacific. She later served in the Korean conflict, Bay of Pigs incident and Cuban Missile Crisis and even supported the early Apollo missions, being decommissioned in 1969.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit USS_Essex_CV-9_Campaign-2020.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    SW

You have a PM...
    This picture look fantastic, very realistic. When I can download this texture pack?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Wake__island_OCT43_WIPb.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Maxstuka View Post
    This picture look fantastic, very realistic. When I can download this texture pack?

Max: it is on the first pae of CFS2 Warbirds Scenery library. http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=45&id=26190
    "De Oppresso Liber"

A true labor of love. Thanks Shadow Wolf.
    Cheers,

Captain Kurt
    ------------------------------------------------------
    "Fly, you fools!" Gandalf the Gray

Do Not Download

There is an error in the download that I have corrected, but I am having trouble uploading the change. It is getting late and I will try again in the morning.

The error is that I mistakenly uploaded the wrong campaign missions - the older ones - everything else in the package is okay. I will advise once I am successful.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I fixed it finally

I replaced the missions in the CAMPAIGNS folder of the download. If you have already installed them, all you have to do is delete the old missions and replace them with the new. I apologize for the inconvenience.

SW07
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Icon22 Reply...

Greg,

Many thanks for your effort on this, you did an outstanding job updating this campaign!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

My thanks go out to you Rami and Captain Kurt for your support and and praise, and to all the contributors who made this project viable.

SW07
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Shadow Wolf 07
    Oh my gosh!
    Been flying in your 2019 version. Can't wait to get this one done.
    Transit videos are GREAT

Fantastic campaign nothing less,thank you very musch.
    I am missing a couple of items ,when opening the campaign it says: can't find Mr-Searchlight,vietpiert and vietshack3.I can go on and open by pressing ok ,but would be good if one could avoid this.
    Killer Svend

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Svend View Post
    I am missing a couple of items ,when opening the campaign it says: can't find Mr-Searchlight,vietpiert and vietshack3.I can go on and open by pressing ok ,but would be good if one could avoid this.
    Killer Svend
    Get a hold of Maskrider's Gilbert Islands package, it contains the Searchlight Object.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=45&id=25225

The FreeFlight Site Vietnam Scenery project has the other items

See link at top of CFS2 Forum Index page
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...ee-Flight-Site

http://thefreeflightsite.com/Vietnam_Projects_2.htm

UncleTgt
    Thank you for your effort,the searchlight is installed,but the two vietnamese items seems to be the needle in the haystack,on the other hand,I do'nt bother .
    Thanks again
    Killer Svend

Killer

Links to the Piers & Huts. Ithink these are the only ones you need for Wake...

All found under Library Objects for Mission Writers

Viet Piers

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/freeflight/Dmpiers.zip

Viet Huts Pt1

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/freeflight/Viethuts.zip

Viet Huts Pt2

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/freeflight/VietHuts_2.zip

Quote Originally Posted by Killer Svend View Post
    Killer Svend
    MR's Gilberts readme lists the links for the Viet objects.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Thank you gents for assistance.
    Killer Svend

Having another go at BB Yamato:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails esx_025A.jpg  
    "De Oppresso Liber"

SW
    Looking at your library screen post on "Scenery issues", I realized I did not have MR Marianas Iwo Jima installed. Since it was not in the" read me first" instructions (unless i missed it), I did not install. That is probably why my Iwo Jima mission objects are in the wrong place. I will install and take another flyover.

Bad Mistake

Quote Originally Posted by highpockets View Post
    SW
    Looking at your library screen post on "Scenery issues", I realized I did not have MR Marianas Iwo Jima installed. Since it was not in the" read me first" instructions (unless i missed it), I did not install. That is probably why my Iwo Jima mission objects are in the wrong place. I will install and take another flyover.
    Highpockets: You are absolutely right. I neglected to include MaskRider Marianas Pack.zip http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=45&id=2783 in my downloads list. I will amend the list right now and ask Rami how best to change the download. My apologies to you and everyone else who have downloaded the campaign.

Thanks for the heads up. As I recall, the only scenery used in that pack was the Marianas scenery and gsl. I don't know why I bothered uploading Iwo Jima too.

Shadow Wolf 07
    "De Oppresso Liber"

Members who have read this thread: 0