May I ask our CFS2 Oz friends to check in?

Thread: May I ask our CFS2 Oz friends to check in?

Exclamation May I ask our CFS2 Oz friends to check in?

Kdriver, Stuart277, Watchdog22, and Ravenna,

I know there are others as well, but I just want to make sure our sim mates are okay. I know fires are burning in Queensland and in New South Wales. I hope none of them are perilously close or threaten the well-being of our friends. I get the same lump in my stomach when fires rage in California and the West every year.

My aim is not to make a political or commentary thread about this, but if you are living where fires may be raging, just lend a wave and a greeting so we can breathe a little easier.

Thanks,
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Hi Rami,

Thank you for your concerns.

We are quite safe where we are.

The Kuringai Chase national park, which is bushland, is about 3km to the west of us is of no real threat to us and we live in a concrete block.

A Tsunami would be a different matter. The ocean is about 1km east of us and we are about 5m above sea level.

Fortunately we don't get them. (touch wood).

The fires are very extensive in northern NSW and southeast QLD.

They have been and will burn for months.

Unfortunately some human lives have been lost and many people have lost their homes.

Something that is not always mention is the loss of wild life.

Animals like the Koala, do not move fast and tend to climb trees.

Many of the NSW fires are in their habitat.

Those that survive the fires can find themselves short of food as they eat eucalyptus leaves.

Cheers for now,

Stuart

Andrew,

Right now the air is smokey. No immediate danger here in Newcastle but this city is ringed with extensive bushland which is full of potential fuel. Fires to the north have already burnt through several hundred thousand hectares on three main fronts.Bush fire "season" has started earlier this year and the fires are bigger than ever. The alert level for New South Wales has been raised to "catastrophic", which is the first time we have had that category activated.

All this is in the context of the longest drought on record and a prediction of strong dry westerly winds today.

Stuart and Kevin, stay safe. I hope you both have air conditioning!

SOH-CM-2024

Bush Fires in Australia

Hi Rami,

Thanks for checking in.

We are ok in Brisbane, Queensland. There are fires surrounding the outskirts of the city in various places but nothing threatening.

It is very BAD south of the border in NSW, three dead and I think over 100 Houses gone and a lot of livestock and equipment.

It is also very BAD in Central Queensland near Rockhampton (About 500 KLMS or 300 hundred miles north).

I hope and pray that this will be the end of of it!!

But I don't believe so!!!

Thanks for thinking of us.

Regards to all at SOH.

Library Staff
    Hi Andrew & Fellow Aussies,

Thanks for thinking of us Andrew.

All is well my end - I spent the day on Sydney Harbour in my kayak mixed with going for plenty of dips at various beaches to cool off.

My sister lives on the mid north coast of NSW where visibility has been reduced to a couple of hundred yards due to smoke. Two of her friends have lost their houses in the rural/bushland area just to the west of where she lives (Nambucca Heads).

Summer hasn't even officially begun and I fear we are going to see a lot more fires this season.

I hope everything is going well on your end.

Cheers,

Kevin

Icon22 Reply...

Quote Originally Posted by kdriver View Post
    I hope everything is going well on your end.
    Kevin,

Temps here today will reach 12 degrees Centigrade (54 degrees Fahrenheit) just before noon with rain, and will be falling to about -8 degrees Centigrade (18 degrees Fahrenheit) by tomorrow morning. We're having an unseasonably early cold blast, and what begins as rain will end this afternoon as a changeover to a mix and snow for a few hours, although it won't stick to the roads yet, just on grassy surfaces.

52-54 degrees Fahrenheit is about the normal high temperature for this time of year. Two days this week it will be 15-20 degrees below normal (Fahrenheit) two other days at least ten degrees below normal. Maybe we should swap places to help those fires burning there.

Kevin - Sorry to hear your family's friends has been affected. But I'm also glad that all of you are safe for the time being. Cheers.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Fairly sobering wathing the news last night. More than a million hectares burnt out and three fire fronts still out of control.

Hi all,

Living in Brisbane we're quite safe but the thing about the fires here that hurts is that some of the worst ones were deliberately lit. My son and I attended the Remembrance Day service in the city and the smoke was so very heavy. I really feel for those that have lost properties and livestock. This really strains my opposition to capital punishment
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 0