Classics Hangar Fw190 CHH/CHL texture files

Thread: Classics Hangar Fw190 CHH/CHL texture files

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

Classics Hangar Fw190 CHH/CHL texture files

I'm finding a few issues with CH's Fw190 series, specifically the CHH/CHL texture folders that are present in a few of the download series. These contain cockpit textures for use by various subtypes of the aircraft, but I'm at a loss as to where they should be located in the different files. I've got the entire series in the "prop" half of the FSX setup, but a lot of the cockpit, while visible, is very dark and there is no "caution" placard on the armored headrest for the pilot. How are these texture files to be set up?

Hi,

That's quite a complex question to answer.

To start with a simple question: The "caution" placard on the armored headrest can be found on the texture "ch_fw190_stencil_t.dds" which contains nearly all stencils displayed on the aircraft. be default it can be found in the main texture files mention below. Some models with different stencils have the file in their own texture folder.

The Classics Hangar FW190 offers you the option to use 4096x4096 (CHH) textures or 2048x2048 (CHL) textures for the cockpit. There is a small tool which you can use to load the ultra high resolution textures or the high resolution textures.

The Classics_Hangar_Fw190A-1 folder contains both libraries for the early FW190A models and the Classics_Hangar_Fw190A-5 contains both libraries for the late FW190A models. The tool does nothing more than copying the files from the chosen library into the main texture folder from either the Classics_Hangar_Fw190A-1 or Classics_Hangar_Fw190A-5 folder. All the other texture folders contain a texture configuration file which direct to one of these two main texture folders.
    From your description I conclude you might have messed up the bump and spec files which belong to the cockpit textures. As these are not part of the libraries, I think the only way to restore these is to reinstall the complete model again.

So when you messed up your install, its best to copy all the files inside the library folder, with the resolution to your desire, in the main texture folder from the corresponding model.

Be ware that from the resolution which is not chosen the file extension is .dd_ instead of .dds. So when you copy the files manually you might have to change the file extension.

I hope this is still understandable and helps,
    Huub

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Hello, Huub, and thanks for getting back so quickly.

The texture that sparked all this mess was one from another website that is for an FW190A-4 located in the "Chariots of Fire" collection in New Zealand. The texture is titled, appropriately, "COF." Right now I'm getting a black/charcoal grey interior with the exception of the placards and the instruments. The cockpit and aircraft are fully functional per specs. The "texture.cfg" file that came with the texture has the following entries in it:

[fltsim]

fallback.1=..\..\Classics_Hangar_Fw190A-1\texture
    fallback.2=..\..\Classics_Hangar_Fw190A-1\texture.CHH
    fallback.3=..\..\Classics_Hangar_Fw190A-1\texture.CHL

Per your reply I see the cfg file gives the A-1 texture folder as the general folder for "fill-in" textures for the aircraft absent those present with the new texture. It seems to then make the step down from the 4096 to 2048 textures via the "CHH/CHL" progression. This machine can do either of them but I'd prefer the 2048s to keep the operating load down on. You mean I will have to change the ".dds" entries in the "CHH" folder to just ".dd," and then change the ones in the lower-res CHL folder to "dds?" I don't want to put the "CHH" folder in a folder of my own making so I can use the lower-res textures in the CHL folder unless it won't cause any harm to the setup. Can I "hide" the CHH texture folder in another place in the FW190A-1 folder, and change the names for the CHL ones currently called "dd"?

BTW this came about because my stock FSX installation had so many aircraft in it it was taking about 40 minutes from choosing the aircraft to fly, to getting to crank up on the ramp. Anything with a prop on the front - or even back - end went into a new installation called "FSX Prop" and with the exception of this installation, so far, there haven't been any problems with the split. Interesting.

I will await your reply before going ahead.

Members who have read this thread: 0