PMDG going all in on the new MSFS platform.

Thread: PMDG going all in on the new MSFS platform.

PMDG going all in on the new MSFS platform.

You can read the announcement at the provided link.
    https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-fo...nths-hours-etc
    This includes no more support or updates for 32 bit platforms (ie: FSX, FSX-SE and P3Dv3). They are also abandoning all development efforts for X-Plane.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Not surprised to hear they (or any other developer) are dropping the 32-bit sims, but I am a bit surprised to hear they are dropping out of X-Plane. I guess they are surrendering X-Plane to Carenado. I also wonder if PMDG has a development deal with M$, perhaps creating models and simpler systems for stock aircraft to be released with the sim, sort of like their old PMDG Express line of aircraft.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Is this the end of REX and other sim environment software as well? The weather and cloud generator look amazing. Personally, I've stopped all purchases of FSX related scenery and all aircraft unit I see what happens.

-d
    Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

I have yet to stop downloading things for FSX and if some bit of payware really tickled my FSX fancy, I'll still buy it. MSFS is due to be released some time in 2020. That could be Christmas 2020 for all I know. We do not yet know what sort of computer will be required, so until it is released and until I have a computer that will run it, I will stick with FSX. Who knows, MSFS may be such a resource hog that P3D will be the better option. Too many unknowns, too much speculation, too many rumors at this point in time.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by dvj View Post
    Is this the end of REX and other sim environment software as well? The weather and cloud generator look amazing. Personally, I've stopped all purchases of FSX related scenery and all aircraft unit I see what happens.

-d
    Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    I have yet to stop downloading things for FSX and if some bit of payware really tickled my FSX fancy, I'll still buy it. MSFS is due to be released some time in 2020. That could be Christmas 2020 for all I know. We do not yet know what sort of computer will be required, so until it is released and until I have a computer that will run it, I will stick with FSX. Who knows, MSFS may be such a resource hog that P3D will be the better option. Too many unknowns, too much speculation, too many rumors at this point in time.
    From what I've heard, MSFS2020 will be a 'one stop shop' for flight sim. Everything will be included. Rumors abound, but the claim is the bulk of the 'processing' work will be done 'elsewhere' and not on the user's computer. Apparently a mid-level spec system is all that will be needed.

When I heard rumors of 'backwards' compatability of FSX/P3D aircraft in this new sim, that was enough to convince me to put my next computer build on hold, stop purchases of addons other than aircraft for my FSX, and essentially wait until MSFS2020 is released in 2020. For me, it's the 'wait and see' approach.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

What we do know is that the sim will require Windows 10 and only a DX11 capable graphics card (from launch it will be DX11, but may eventually be DX12). It is not RTX-based, so it does not need an RTX graphics card either (it was confirmed that although the sim has all the elements in it that make it look like it has ray tracing, it does not have ray tracing). One of the things I've heard mentioned a couple of times is that the computers that Microsoft were having the bloggers/press people use back in September to fly the sim were using Nvidia 2080 Ti cards, and there were no performance issues noted.

Members who have read this thread: 0