Starting a SJ_Spitfire_mkIIA_B with CFS3 Real Systems Module

Thread: Starting a SJ_Spitfire_mkIIA_B with CFS3 Real Systems Module

Starting a SJ_Spitfire_mkIIA_B with CFS3 Real Systems Module

I am assuming the use of the CFS3 Real Systems Module to start CFS3 and that the clickable pit is working plus the key commands ()

The procedure for starting, taking off, flying, and landing is based on information from 2 sources.

1.Spitfire Mk.II Pilot's Notes as provided in the download

2. The help files which are also in the download and which I have copied to a more readable doc (or odt) format.

Both go through several stages and so far I have only looked at what is called "Preliminaries' and "Before Start Checklist' respectively by the 2 sources above.

They are as follows. I have added intial comments on the Help file notes only in RED

PRELIMINARIES

3. On entering the cockpit make the following preparations. See that:-

(i) The ignition switches are – OFF.

(ii) The undercarriage lever is in the DOWN gate, and the indicator shows the word “IDLE”.

(iii) Switch on the light indicator and check by the green lights that the undercarriage is locked in the down position.

(iv) The flaps are – UP.

(v) The landing lamps are – UP.

(vi) The wheel brakes are – ON.

Check.-

(vii) The contents of the fuel tanks.

(viii) The movement of the flying controls.

and

Before Start Checklist
    1. Switch on undercarriage indicator light. ( Done through Alt + 6. I don't see any switch to toggle)

2. Close emergency exit door to half-cocked position. ( Either Ctrl + C or use mouse right click to close exit door to half-cocked position Another right click will close it completey. Left Click to open)

3. Confirm the following:
    Ignition switches are OFF. ( I have no idea what and how to check this. I have no idea how to know if there is electrical power connected to the aircraft )

Undercarriage down indicator is illuminated. (Alt + 6 I didn't see any switch to use with the mouse)

Undercarriage lever is in the DOWN position. (Visual on Starboard side)

Undercarriage movement indicator reads IDLE. ( I have no idea where that is)

Landing flaps are UP. (Visual upper Port side)

Landing lamps are UP. (Well one can see the switch lower Port)

Wheel brakes are ON with parking catch. (No idea where to do that)

Fuel quantity is sufficient. ( As far as I could see the dial showed empty. I assume some sort of power has to be on for the dial to operate)

Flight controls have full, free, and correct movement. ( Visual through moving controls and looking out)

So I await clarification and assume I have missed something somewhere!

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

All of these are covered in the manual. Here are references:

1. There is a switch - Section 1, para. 17.

3. Ignition switches are the same as magneto switches, the terms are used interchangeably in RAF documentation from the period as seen in the Pilot's Notes where both terms are used in different places. I did not update the wording from the 1940 edition, and even included the typos.

4. See #1.

6. It's a little window on the undercarriage quadrant - Section 1 para. 13.

9. It's the lever on the spade grip - Section 1, para. 42. The parking brake catch cannot be set unless the brake lever is held squeezed. And as noted in the module readme, left click and hold the lever to apply brakes, and while holding, right click to set parking brake. Or use whatever keys or joystick buttons you have assigned to those commands in the same way.

10. You have to press the button next to the gauge to have the fuel quantity gauge show a reading - Section 1, para. 31.

I suggest before proceeding to other sections of the checklists that you reference the manuals - they will probably answer your questions. Where I felt more clarification was needed than what the Air Ministry provided, I wrote about it in the Spitfire Mk.II Operational Notes.pdf, so that's worth a look too if the Pilot's Notes leave you baffled.

Thanks Dan. I found all of those. I have updated my screenshot diagrams and will include the info on my various 'how to' list based on the Spitfire Mk.II Pilot's Notes.pdf and the help files. I'll pass them to you for comment when completed. Meanwhile I will read everything more thoroughly!

Re
    The parking brake catch cannot be set unless the brake lever is held squeezed. And as noted in the module readme, left click and hold the lever to apply brakes, and while holding, right click to set parking brake. Or use whatever keys or joystick buttons you have assigned to those commands in the same way."

When the retaining catch is ON, what position should the lever be? I am assuming central? How do I know it's locked? Will the triple pressure gauge tell me? I take it the keyboard command normally is Ctrl Shft B?

When you apply the brake, the lever will move to the right. If you set the parking brake catch, and then release the lever, it will move back to the left slightly so that it is resting on the catch. From that position, if you squeeze the lever, it will move slightly back to the right. If you then release the parking brake catch, and then release the lever, the lever will go all the way left back to its starting position.

So long as you have pneumatic pressure remaining, the triple pneumatic gauge will have the two smaller needles reading about 100-120 psi with the rudder pedals neutral whenever the brake lever is squeezed or held in place by the parking brake catch. Moving the rudder pedals will move pressure between the two brakes, and this will be reflected by movement of the two smaller needles on the triple gauge. You will also hear the sound of compressed air pressurizing or escaping as it is applied or released from either brake. If you don't have enough pneumatic pressure left in the system to operate the brakes, the needles won't move and you won't hear the sounds and the brakes won't work. At that point your only indication of brake setting is the position of the lever.

A few notes about the pneumatic system while we're on the subject:

Air pressure is supplied by an engine driven compressor, so as long as the engine is turning, any pneumatic pressure you expend by using the brakes or any of the other pneumatic-powered systems will gradually be replenished. The rate of replenishment is dependent upon engine RPM. When the prop is stopped, pressure is not replenished at all; so if you engine seizes up, you will have to make decisions about how best to use your remaining pressure. You can also lose pressure by damaging pneumatic components. If you exceed the speed limitations for having the landing lights or flaps extended, they can be torn out. This will cause damage to the pneumatic lines serving that component, resulting in a leak and rapid loss of pneumatic pressure. The leak can be stopped (and pressure restored, assuming your prop is still turning) by raising the flaps or landing lights. Even though they've been ripped out, flipping the control switches back up cuts off the supply of pressure to those systems, preventing pressure from escaping through the leak. The pneumatic system can also be damaged by enemy fire. This can include damage to the compressor, so that pneumatic pressure cannot be replenished, or rupturing the pneumatic reservoir, resulting in total pneumatic failure and loss of brakes, flaps, landing lights and guns all at once.

I've decided to make a series of tutorial videos to help people learn to fly this thing. One will cover the different cockpit controls and the systems behind them, and others will cover the various phases of flight.

Thant would be great Dan. Meanwhile, moving on to Enginer Start Check List as in the help files andf the pdf.

Normal Start
    1. Set mixture control to NORMAL.

What position is that in cockpit mixture lever as don't see any reference point there and didn't find any in the pdf? Thje only KS I see is " Mixture Auto_Normal" ?

2. Set airscrew control to starting position.
    De Havilland Airscrew: COARSE PITCH.
    Not for the Mk IIA?

Rotol Airscrew: FINE PITCH.

(For Mk IIA Lever Fully forward. KS = Ctrl + F6 as per stock?)

I don't see any other real issues ion that section.

Quote Originally Posted by mongoose View Post
    Thant would be great Dan. Meanwhile, moving on to Enginer Start Check List as in the help files andf the pdf.

Normal Start
    1. Set mixture control to NORMAL.

What position is that in cockpit mixture lever as don't see any reference point there and didn't find any in the pdf? Thje only KS I see is " Mixture Auto_Normal" ?

2. Set airscrew control to starting position.
    De Havilland Airscrew: COARSE PITCH.
    Not for the Mk IIA?

Rotol Airscrew: FINE PITCH.

(For Mk IIA Lever Fully forward. KS = Ctrl + F6 as per stock?)

I don't see any other real issues ion that section.

1. Forward position is WEAK (or AUTO-WEAK - the two terms are the same), and aft is NORMAL (or AUTO-NORMAL). There is no intermediate position. Ref. Pilot's Notes - Section 2, para. 4.(i) and Section 2, Figure 1.

2. The differences between the two types of airscrew are discussed in the Operational Notes, under Airscrews. At present all of the Mk.IIAs use the Rotol (so start and shut down the engine with the lever full forward), and the Mk.IIBs use the De Havilland (so start and shut down with the lever full aft - make sure you put it forward before taxi and takeoff though!) When using the module, if you are starting on the ground, the lever starts in the correct position for either type, since the start up and shut down positions are the same. If you aren't using the module, the lever starts in the aft position like it does on every CFS3 aircraft.

Dan just reminded me of a couple of very useful videos done by the team with regards to using the clickable cockpit which were posted earlier. I suggest all save them for their use.

Gunsight demo:
    https://youtu.be/LQtJhm1jypc

Full cockpit tour:
    https://youtu.be/8MuHL1zL1TY

Members who have read this thread: 0