Midway Class Carriers in the 1950th

Thread: Midway Class Carriers in the 1950th

Midway Class Carriers in the 1950th

Also just nearly ready for upload... the Midway class carriers in the 1950th. This one will come with all 3 ships of this class. CV-41 USS Midway, CV-42 USS Franklin D.Roosevelt and CV-43 USS Coral Sea.

The early 1950th.....

greetings
    Klaus

I've been hoping somebody would do the straight-deck version of the Midway class CV's. Thanks in advance, Klaus!

And deck layout from the mid 50th...

greetings
    Klaus

I built a Revell Franklin D. Roosevelt, long, long ago.
    Rats - why won't anything work properly first time?

Superb work Klaus!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Really enjoying your work on these magnificent ladies Klaus. Thank you for sharing.

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Thanks Klaus!
    My dad served on the Roosevelt in '57 in the Med

Upload is done.

greetings
    Klaus

World of Warships comes to FSX!

World of Warships comes to FSX!
    Hey Gaz!

Now you know I can't avoid asking - any news on the "generic" version of your terrific angle deck Essex carrier?

Cheers!

expat
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by klnowak View Post
    Upload is done.

greetings
    Klaus
    Klaus,
    Another detailed, superb work of art.
    After trapping and taxiing forward, i could not "find" the cat (cat 2) port side. I figured cat 1 (starboard side) was where the Panther was parked.
    So after some experimentation, i think i found the correct spot and added "cat tracks" and a hookup in case you wanted to put out a texture update for the flight decks. If so, let me know and i will send to you. I posted a screenshot so you can see the detail.

2nd item - is it possible at all to remove or lower the antennae at flight deck edge? During flight operations, those would have been lowered to a horizontal position.

Thanks again for the superb craftsmanship on these, Ranger, Essex class straight decks (post SCB-27A and 27C) as well as the CVE's and CVL's. Great fun! Looking forward to your next releases.

Cheers.
    Deke
    (Navy81)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fsx 2019-11-12 14-58-55-21.jpg  

Have to say it's like early Christmas with all these fabulous new carriers and ships to play with. Also did a NVidia driver update (see over in the P3Dv4 forum) that has transformed how everything looks, particularly the new ships and carriers. The Iowa class battleships and Baltimore cruiser are excellent additions!

P3Dv4?

Hi Klaus,I fully realize that this is the FSX forum, but has anyone tried these wonderful carriers in that format? Please answer to my question in the P3Dv4 discussion section. Regards,Bill

Antennas

These are remarkable ships; thanks Klaus. I do however cringe a little when on deck, as Navy 81 is correct - the communication antennas would never be upright during flight operations. Please lower them to be horizontal.Bill

These carriers are the best ones I've seen in years! Thanks Klaus for a wonderful job! But where is the smoke? The carriers and the accompanying ships do not have a smoke effect. Didn't anyone notice this?

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    These carriers are the best ones I've seen in years! Thanks Klaus for a wonderful job! But where is the smoke? The carriers and the accompanying ships do not have a smoke effect. Didn't anyone notice this?

Cees
    In order to reduce air pollution they have had scrubbers retrofitted eliminating the smoke

Quote Originally Posted by kl791 View Post
    In order to reduce air pollution they have had scrubbers retrofitted eliminating the smoke
    Where did you get this bit of information? Whoever put it out is bogus. Boiler boats smoked, period, mostly when accelerating or blowing tubes. Steady state, underway, not too bad.

I flew off 27Cs, SARA, JFK, other non-nukes into the mid 70's - they smoked, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike71 View Post
    Where did you get this bit of information? Whoever put it out is bogus. Boiler boats smoked, period, mostly when accelerating or blowing tubes. Steady state, underway, not too bad.

I flew off 27Cs, SARA, JFK, other non-nukes into the mid 70's - they smoked, period.
    I was on the Coral Sea CV-43 in the late 80's, it smoked.

Believe this was meant as humor.

Yes, these ships - all great and looking fabulous in P3Dv4 - don't seem to smoke the way others do. Think it needs to be baked in to the models as discussed somewhere else here I recall ..

USS Coral Sea (CVA-43) underway and making smoke. If you have a high-end system you can add bow wave and smoke effects to Klaus's carriers with Model Converter X (MCX). I tried it on my system and the added effects killed FSX when I selected a ship in AICarriers. Without the effects I have no problems with any of Klaus's CV's.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Coral_Sea_Smoke.jpg  

Here’s the link to the thread were Butcherbird17 gives a very good step by step How-to add smoke and bow waves to the model file. It works. I did it for some of my ships. This is the FSX forum so I can only attest that it works for FSX.

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforums/showthread.php/117382-Lexington-Class-Carriers-in-the-1930th-and-in-WWII?p=1202518&viewfull=1#post1202518
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Gold View Post
    These are remarkable ships; thanks Klaus. I do however cringe a little when on deck, as Navy 81 is correct - the communication antennas would never be upright during flight operations. Please lower them to be horizontal.Bill
    I think Klaus can't do that as he is using already made models made for World of Warships. He adapted these to be used in FSX.

Cees

Quote Originally Posted by Cees Donker View Post
    I think Klaus can't do that as he is using already made models made for World of Warships. He adapted these to be used in FSX.

Cees
    He can do some things, on the Lexington model he was able to swap out the twin 5"/38 turrets for twin 8" but I think what he can do is limited.

The fact that they are from World of Warships explains some of the curiosities in them. There is a model for an early cruiser 'USS Phoenix' that looks like an early design for the Omaha cruisers, it never existed in real life but in real life the USN did not build any light cruisers between the 1902 St Louis class protected cruiser and the 1923 Omaha so the game needed something plausible for that time period.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    He can do some things, on the Lexington model he was able to swap out the twin 5"/38 turrets for twin 8" but I think what he can do is limited.
    Correct in that the guns/weapons are modeled individually, so removing the 5" and replacing them with 8" is rather easy using MCX. As for the antennas on the carriers they are modeled
    to the Hull so no way you can remove them with MCX. But if you have some knowledge with some of the modeling tools out there (Max, Blender, G-max) you can convert the mdl to the
    appropriate source and then remove them are adjust them to a different angle then recompile the model.

I fixed the USS California with MCX which had some missing Mk34 and Mk37 Directors.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Hat's off guys, this is really very high expertise level, far off my head.
    Personnally I just can thank Klaus, with great pleasure, for these brilliant ships and hope he will be kind enough to make some other gifts in the future.

Members who have read this thread: 0