Setting up SJE Fw190A's and SJ_Spitfire_MkII's

Thread: Setting up SJE Fw190A's and SJ_Spitfire_MkII's

Setting up SJE Fw190A's and SJ_Spitfire_MkII's

Continuing from my post in http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-Mk-II-Package where I am trying to set up the Fw190A retrospectively and the new SJ_Spitfire_MkII's.

Right now I am looking at the control options.
    So the first issue is with the 190A
    1. I have started it by using the module_fw_190a - Shortcut
    2. I have selected FW 1290A-1 from the advanced animations screen which came up and puts me in SJE_fw190a1_5_26_41_aa (or the one with the asterisk)
    3. Under control options I have selected X56 Fw 190A Module.xca which is in fact just the Fw 190A Module.xca but with the added X56 settings which are normally in my CFS3 X56.xca
    4. In QC i started by selecting Alt + A and then flown at 20K ft.

Although I set the trigger for guns only ( Shift + space) and X56 "a" button for cannon only (ctrl + space) they are not working. I suppose I can play around with that to make sure I get that correct? However the other issue is as the pic indicates, I show only 220 Mg Rounds and 7600 cannon rounds!!
    I have looked at the xdp file for SJE_fw190a1_5_26_41_aa to see how many rounds they should have and it would seem tro indicate 900 MG rounds and 1000 or 55 ( for the Outboard Cannon) rounds for the cannons.
    I note the additional lines for gun indicators and am note sure how CFS3 translates that, although it may show up only IN the aircraft.

So my issue is why only 220 MG rounds which do run out after that, and of course 7600 cannon rounds!

BTW are the Aircraft Manuals in the Advanced animations window meant to show up somehow? Can't access them in or out of the game.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MG rounds.png  

Cato said "Carthaginem esse delendam"
    I say "Carthago iam diu deleta,sed enim Bellum Alium adhuc aedificandum est"

The numbers of rounds are correct. There are several things involved that make them the way that they are. On the real Fw 190, the cowl MG17s and inboard MG151s (or MG17s on the A-1) were fired by the same button. A secondary button fired the outboard MG FFs. It was decided to set up the inboard and cowl armament as cannons and the outboard as guns to keep this arrangement in CFS3. Additionally, each weapon has a duplicate, firing harmless rounds, which is used to create some on the in cockpit effects. So this results in the strange numbers. The effect though is still correct with the appropriate number of "live" rounds for each gun. You can safely ignore the HUD ammo counters and rely on the in-cockpit ammo counters to be accurate.

Not sure about the issue with the x56 not firing the commands. It has been over a year since I looked at how all that was built. I hope to update it in the future to use the newer system developed with the Spitfire.

Ah! OK. I'll play around with the X56 settings then to try and get the Shift and Control Space keystrokes to work on the correct buttons if I can determine what button 1 and 2 are on the X56 as you seem to demand that for correct operation of the 2 gun arrangements.

Re the Spit Mk II control options.
    I am now using the in game setup but am having issues trying to put in the " } " or " { " in that they rquire me to use the Shift key as in upper case letters. The in game control writes it as " Shf + ] or [" . Also looking at Ankor's rewrite of my notepad xca edition, I don't see what the word is for "{" there; only Lsquare or Rsquare. So is "{" the sams as "[" ?

Re above: I have just used "[" or "]" instead of "{" of "}"

EDIT: Is the xca file still from the first upload and no new one in the Advanced Animations upload?

Back to the Fw190A and keyboard controls. The read me states

Control Name Key Assignment Operation
    Fire only guns Joystick Button 1 Fires the outboard cannons (if installed).
    Fire only cannons Joystick Button 2 Fires the inboard cannons or guns and the cowl guns.

Now I'm not clear what you mean re button 1 and 2. My X56 has
    Trigger
    Button A, B, & D plus a pinkie, mimi joystick, and 2 hats plus a POV 'hat'

I would put "fire only guns" on the joystick and "Fire only cannons on Button A. Should I put "fire only guns" (Sft Space) on A and cannons (Ctl Space) on B and All guns (Space) on the trigger?
    Last edited by mongoose; October 31st, 2019 at 13:59.

Further or more to above. I am not getting a gunsight. Have tried shft + ] and also brightness incr both on my X56 and keyboard. Keystrokes are both in my module in CFS3 and Appdata and in game control options.
    In addition my gun seems to fire to the right of the gunsight. See below. Well the sight is also off centre so am I looking at the wrong view??

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fw190A guns.jpg  

SOH-CM-2020
    Have you tried cycling through F6 views, James?

Buttons 1 and 2 are the buttons as windows sees them on any joystick, though different manufacturers may use different naming. I would assume A and B for yours? I did include a tool for determining the correct button if a situation like this arose, and instructions for how to use it are in the readme.

What you're seeing with the gunsight is correct. Use TrackIR or the F6 viewpoints to align your head with the sight.

Not certain why the gunsight controls aren't working for you. It is the range or wingspan adjustment control that turns the sight on and off in this case.

[QUOTE= ....................... I did include a tool for determining the correct button if a situation like this arose, and instructions for how to use it are in the readme.

QUOTE]

That tool which I assume must be used with autokey is more complicated to use than flying; for me anyway. The little box following my cursor says " to exit right click on the tray icon' when I have no icon that I can see. Also my joystick doesn't do anything to that box. At the moment that is not happening for me! I guess I will just have to try and set up the firing buttons by trial and error. I will say though that button A and B work spasmodically in that they fir a few rounds every now and then while firing all through the trigger is always good.

Gunsight. I will try the control in cockpit then.in cockpit

Views shouldn't be a problem; I'll check again

Lightbulb

ok im at times serious dumb , other times really smart and loved , but i get squares when firing on those planes yee talking off ,,i saw a thread on this ,,,im messed no idea how rid them on these particularmodes 190 sets ..........in effects .... if any has a fix or patch can you will you email me and oi can try .....rest all great and all

Quote Originally Posted by gecko View Post

Not certain why the gunsight controls aren't working for you. It is the range or wingspan adjustment control that turns the sight on and off in this case.
    Are you talking Spi here as referrinmg to the Fw150 no gunsight.

Quote Originally Posted by rocketred View Post
    ok im at times serious dumb , other times really smart and loved , but i get squares when firing on those planes yee talking off ,,i saw a thread on this ,,,im messed no idea how rid them on these particularmodes 190 sets ..........in effects .... if any has a fix or patch can you will you email me and oi can try .....rest all great and all
    Re Fw190A

No square tracers on the A1 but I also am getting them on the A2 onwards.

So as I said in http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...69#post1201369 I;m actually not getting the X56 stick and throttle to work correctly with the Spit Mk II. Either it works and the Spit module keystrokes don't, or The module keystrokes work but only them and nothing onthe X56.

So I have some questions.

1. I note that if I remove the Spitfire MK II Module.xca from the main folder, nothing replaces it on restarting through CFS3 Real Systems Module - Shortcut. I also don't see a file anuywhere in the download, so how does or did that get in my CFS3 main file?

2. I also note that the generic Flight Simulator.xca in the main folder also starts like the Spitfire MK II Module.xca ; namely

<!-- The generic joystick node must be the first one -->
    <Device Type="Generic Joystick">
    <GameMode Name="Player">
    <Axis ID="X" Action="Set_Bank" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>
    <Axis ID="Y" Action="Set_Pitch" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>
    <Axis ID="Throttle" Action="AXIS_THROTTLE_SET" Scale="127" Nullzone="1"/>
    <Axis ID="Rudder" Action="Set_Yaw" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>
    <Button ID="1" Action="Fire_Guns"/>
    <Button ID="2" Action="FireCannonsOnly"/>
    <Button ID="3" Action="ELEV_TRIM_DN" RepCnt="2"/>
    <Button ID="4" Action="ELEV_TRIM_UP" RepCnt="3"/>
    <Button ID="5" Action="FLAPS_INCR"/>
    <Button ID="6" Action="FLAPS_DECR"/>
    <Button ID="7" Action="NextTarget"/>
    <Pov ID="1" Action="HeadPov"/>
    <Button ID="8" Action="GEAR_TOGGLE"/>
    </GameMode>
    <GameMode Name="M3DViewer">
    <Button ID="3" Action="ZoomIn" RepCnt="1"/>
    <Button ID="4" Action="ZoomOut" RepCnt="1"/>
    </GameMode>
    <GameMode Name="Gunner">
    <Axis ID="X" Action="TraverseGun" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>
    <Axis ID="Y" Action="ElevateGun" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>
    </GameMode>
    </Device>

But my stock CFS3.xca in the AppData folder has no reference to any joysticks or throttles.??

My CFS3_X56.xca which resides only in the AppData folder was made up by my son some time back and includes

<Device Type="X56 H.O.T.A.S. Throttle">
    <GameMode Name="Player">
    <Axis ID="X" Action="AXIS_THROTTLE_SET" Scale="127" Nullzone="1"/>
    <Button ID="3" Action="ReleaseFireWeapon"/>
    <Button ID="4" Action="SelectNextWeapon"/>
    <Button ID="8" Action="TogglePadlock"/>
    </GameMode>
    </GameMode>
    <GameMode Name="Gunner">
    </GameMode>
    </Device>
    <Device Type="X56 H.O.T.A.S. Stick">
    <GameMode Name="Player">
    <Axis ID="X" Action="Set_Bank" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>
    <Axis ID="Y" Action="Set_Pitch" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>
    <Axis ID="Rudder" Action="Set_Yaw" Scale="64" Nullzone="36"/>
    <Button ID="3" Action="ReleaseFireWeapon"/>
    <Button ID="4" Action="SelectNextWeapon"/>
    <Button ID="8" Action="TogglePadlock"/>
    </GameMode>
    </GameMode>
    <GameMode Name="Gunner">
    </GameMode>
    </Device>

either at the beginning or end of the file.

So my question is; what is really relevant here which is effecting the in game controls?
    Could I add all the Spit keystrokes into my X56.xca and use that in game under the name of the spit xca?

I need some help here guys!

Dan re your
    QUOTE: Hi James, not ignoring your problem, just short on time. I hope to be able to answer properly in the next couple of days. Meanwhile, can you help me understand what exactly you're trying to do? Editing xca files shouldn't be necessary, and I think you're making it harder than it needs to be. At any rate, I don't know much about the ins and outs of those files, so I'm afraid I won't be of much help in that department. END

It seems because the X56 (and my previous X55) throttle didn't work with the default CFS3 xca, extra bits had to be added in. Now a few years back, my son produced my X55/56 xca version, but I'm not sure of how many of those lines are needed; especially those "Button ID=xxxx" lines in the Throttle secion. I'm not sure of the purpose behind some of the CFs3 xca programming besides the keystroke section.

Perhaps you could tell me 2 things now.

1. Doses tarting ETO through the Module using CFS3 Real Systems Module - Shortcut produce a new xca file in the main CFSD3 folder, or did I end up with a CFS3 Real Systems Module.xca in the main folder by accident? In other words, is the only CFS3 Real Systems Module.xca the one I create in the Apopdata folder by entering all the new keystrokes in through the in game control options?

2. Is the CFS3 Real Systems Module xca really any different than the stock one. In other words only more keystokes are added?

Well, I think I have success! I took my X56 AppData xca and through the in game control setup, I added all the Spit Mk II keystrokes. I then exited the game and changed the name of that xca in the AppData folder to the Spit module xca and added back an X56 xca from another install's AppData folder. So far, on ground, I am getting both keystrokes and X56 controls working plus mouse controls! No back to the start, take off, etc. procedures!

I think I can answer questions 1 and 2 together. The Real Systems Module does not create, move, copy, or modify an xca file at all, and there isn't one included in the download. Whatever you are doing with xca files is all you, but I'm glad you seem to have your set-up working now!

The intention was that if the player wanted to use keys or joystick buttons for the new commands instead of or alongside of the clickable cockpit, all they would have to do is go into the normal in-game key configuration menu, create a new profile (or modify an existing one) and assign key commands or joystick buttons to the new command options as desired. No manual editing of xca files required.

To others who may be following along here, unless you have a Saitek X55 or X56 joystick, editing of xca files is unnecessary. Just use the in-game key configuration menu like normal. Apparently the X55 and X56 don't play right with CFS3 in general, and require the manual editing of xca files for some reason. This is a problem these sticks have with CFS3, not something introduced by the Spitfire add-on or the Real Systems Module.

Members who have read this thread: 1