DC Designs P3D native FA-18F/G Super Hornet
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: DC Designs P3D native FA-18F/G Super Hornet

DC Designs P3D native FA-18F/G Super Hornet

Hi folks, hope you're all well!

A lot of changes happening for me at the moment. I've been working contracts for many of the big sim developers throughout 2019, which has been tremendous fun and hugely informative. I think, finally, I'm ready to start producing commercial products of my own, and I recently took the step of going full-time with aircraft / scenery design for the sim. It's a big step for me, but my abilities and experience have grown a great deal since releasing the Northrop P-61C in 2018, enough that I might just have what it takes now. The forthcoming Microsoft simulator also tipped the balance for me, as I see a huge market opening up when the console crowd join the fun.

This is the first project I'm undertaking - I have the sense that there is a market out there of users who want excellent visual realism and realistic flight models but aren't as keen on the super-realistic detail of the VRS Superbug study-level aircraft. If this goes well, I'll look at continuing on with more, similar products aimed at the mid-level user. As you can see, the project is well underway. Two aircraft will be in the package - the "F" and the "G" Growler version, and probably a single-seater "E" version as a stand-alone for those who prefer to go solo Aircraft will have selectable weapons load-outs, but I will leave TacPack / vACMI choices to the user - the model will include necessary attach points to facilitate weapons should they be desired.

Release schedule is tentatively penned in for early 2020, and of course I'll be hoping to release it to the forthcoming FS2020 as well. I'm hugely excited to be going full-time with this, but also there's a lot of trepidation. Still, as always I'll post updates and keep everybody informed of what's going on

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCD Hornet7.jpg   DCD_Hornet.jpg   F18_UC.jpg  
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

im sold nuff said

A brave step but if you have taken the first one then you should be good.
    Love the idea of no TacPac and the non 'study level' approach, I'm mid level (at best!) when it comes to Flight Simulation so you should have me on board for starters.
    FWIW, doing your own thing is very rewarding from a personal level, go for it!

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Thanks guys - it's a big leap but I've enjoyed working on sim development so much over the past couple of years that it's become a no-brainer. There are more updates on my Facebook page in my signature - oh, and I forgot to mention that I'll probably make the Hornets compatible with FSX too, as there are still lots of folks using the Steam version and even Acceleration.
    I wish I had enough time to finish writing everything I sta...https://www.facebook.com/DC-Designs-2156295428024778/

Happy to read this, good luck
    The more you do, the less you dream

Icon26 Agree

There`s bunch of us quiet ones ready to hop onboard.

If it will be Prepar3D v4+ compatible, I'm game!

Priller

Looks like VRS has some competition! I must say, I can't wait to get my hands on the Growler (even though it did replace one of my all-time favorite aircraft, RIP Prowler). I'd love to do some shared cockpit out of Whidbey Island (and maybe draw a 10 gallon hat in the sky with the contrail). All joking aside though, this is definitely something I'll be keeping close tabs on, and I know it's in good hands.

That's looking great! I've been wanting a Rhino to fly around in, but not enough to commit to a full study-level simulation. Count me in!

And hopefully that will go well, and you could possibly revive your F-8 as a full-on product.

This looks really great. But it's useless to me as I only have FSXA.

Isn't this the "FSX General Discussion" forum, or am I totally lost???
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    This looks really great. But it's useless to me as I only have FSXA.

Isn't this the "FSX General Discussion" forum, or am I totally lost???
    Cfr post #4 by the man himself!

Priller

Some more options I would like to see added to these is the CFT's they're getting and the centerline combination fuel tank with it sensor in the nose, since P3D has IR built in to it.

it looks good so far, thanks for the preview pics.

Quote Originally Posted by WarHorse47 View Post
    This looks really great. But it's useless to me as I only have FSXA. Isn't this the "FSX General Discussion" forum, or am I totally lost???
    It will be compatible with FSX and P3D - I forgot to add that in the title bar when I created the thread. It's an age thing...

Quote Originally Posted by DC1973 View Post
    It will be compatible with FSX and P3D - I forgot to add that in the title bar when I created the thread. It's an age thing...
    I get lost at my age as well which is why I asked.
    Thanks for the clarification.
    -- WH

If at first you don't succeed, try, try,try again. ... or go read the manual.

"It's too early!" they said. "You haven't even finished animating it yet!" they said.

Too early, too shmearly - carrier tests for the flight model at different fuel weights - it handles quite nicely at 150 KIAS and 4,000lbs of fuel. Tricky to land well without instruments though, daylight circuits only around Javier's Nimitz ( AI Carriers in P3D v4 )!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carrier_1.jpg   Carrier_2.jpg  

Looking good so far, went hunting for an F model last week and its slim pickings - the KBT model had plenty of port over related issues I wasn't able to resolve so this is a done deal for me
    "Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed lest the ground shalt rise up and smite thee"

Most welcome news Dean. A little biased , but as I spent a lot of time with 2 seat Hornets with my 8 years in The US Navy , always thought they looked better than The single seat variants. I know several people who will be thrilled to see a Growler as well. Awesome news ! Mike

I also looked at what was already out there before committing to the project - the old KBT "D" Hornet had a great exterior model, but no VC ( aliased to the stock FA-18A ) and there was nothing else really out there.

Mike - great to hear, I'll make the airplane as good as I can for folks!

A quick picture of the VC, which will feature a fully-functional front seat ( obviously ), and a partially functional rear seat. I'm thinking of leveraging the stock control tower or GPS display for that big screen in the rear seat. The modelling is done, but texture mapping and animation remains to be worked upon.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCD_Hornet_VC.jpg  

After some more thought, I decided that giving you all two aircraft in a single package wasn't going to be good enough for the community - it will be my first commercial release and I really want to make a good impression. As a result, the DC Designs Super Hornet package will contain three aircraft - yes, three! The FA-18E, FA-18F and FA-18G. The "E" may have been covered comprehensively by VRS, but with no good alternative to the study-level airplane out there and such little modeling required to convert the nose and canopy section, it seemed mad not to really!

Work is progressing very well, makes such a difference to the process to be full-time and also using a modern design package to create and animate the airplanes. Exterior models may well be complete by the end of the week, next week latest. Enjoy the piccies for now!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DCD_F18E.jpg   DCD_F18Ec.jpg  

Looking forward to this as an affordable option to the VRS offering.
    Combined with the FSXBA F/A-18C this will fill the ranks nicely on the upcoming Team SDB Enterprise (sorry for the shameless plug, just excited by your news).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	72777042_3052429951450189_232834540802932736_o.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	72171

I like the idea of a midlevel complexity aircraft; in any category of flight simming, so yours will be of great interest to me. The mention of a carrier in development interests me also.

Good luck with your venture!

Quote Originally Posted by fsafranek View Post
    Looking forward to this as an affordable option to the VRS offering.
    Combined with the FSXBA F/A-18C this will fill the ranks nicely on the upcoming Team SDB Enterprise (sorry for the shameless plug, just excited by your news).
    Oooh, a renewed Enterprise! That's awesome, so many carriers available now with such a high level of detail, makes for great naval ops in the sim!

If the Hornet package sells well, I'm lining up some more US naval jets with the same mid-level complexity to follow - it all just depends on the audience and the enthusiasm for the aircraft.

This project seems awesome! A proper Rhino is indeed much needed!

"Aircraft will have selectable weapons load-outs, but I will leave TacPack / vACMI choices to the user - the model will include necessary attach points to facilitate weapons should they be desired."

Hello!! Sorry but I don't fully understand what do you mean , will it be already Tackpack / vACMI suitable leaving only the user to choice
    wich of the two to use or will the user make it suitable to one of them? Thank you
    The more you do, the less you dream

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Cattaneo View Post
    This project seems awesome! A proper Rhino is indeed much needed!
    Thanks Dino!

Members who have read this thread: 6