Maunsell Forts

Thread: Maunsell Forts

Maunsell Forts

The Maunsell Forts are armed towers built in the Thames and Mersey estuaries during the Second World War to help defend the United Kingdom

Was a scenery done for this in FSX or P3D or would anyone like to do this? There were a number of forts that were constructed during WWII to help
    defend the UK. Don't know if any had helo landing pads but that would be nice if they did.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maunsell_Forts

Looks like one was done for Xplane

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php...d-sands-forts/

There's some old FS2004 Maunsell Forts scenery by me lurking in the SOH library, that may work. Look for "Thames Forts.zip" in the FS2004 scenery library

Seems to work fine , Not helo land-able, but they never were in the real world, and the texture's could be improved, but in my defense, they are almost 13 years old

Quote Originally Posted by ian elliot View Post
    Seems to work fine , Not helo land-able, but they never were in the real world, and the texture's could be improved, but in my defense, they are almost 13 years old

Thanks for the lead. I will try it in P3D V3.4

I think after the war one or so of the forts were converted to helo landing pads. At least that is what I discovered from Wikipedia.

Like looking for a needle in a haystack. Where would the closed airport be to start the search for these fort be?
    How do you find them? Would have to me a visual find from some locating in UK somewhere.

Interesting video about these forts.

I haven't installed Ian's scenery, so I can't testify to the exact location, but according to Google Earth, the Red Sand fort is approx. 4.8 nm from EGMC, about hdg 122* - just off the shoreline

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Maunsell forts in GE.jpg  

"To some the sky is the limit. To others it is home" anon.
    “Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.” -Albert Einstein

[QUOTE=srgalahad;1200251]I haven't installed Ian's scenery, so I can't testify to the exact location, but according to Google Earth, the Red Sand fort is approx. 4.8 nm from EGMC, about hdg 122* - just off the shoreline

[/QUOTE

Appreciate the maps. That may give me something to help find these forts.

The best airfield to go fort hunting is Manston EGMH, Manston's my local airfield and i made up the fort scenery as eye candy for some of my airfield scenerys. To find them, just take off West with the Thames estuary to the north on your right hand, bank towards the estuary and you should see them visually while climbing out. I have Henrik's shipping installed so its a very busy stretch of water.

Ive found a better map online that may help, i only made up the 3 larger fort's, Nore, Red and Shivering sand's, these were operated by the Army, the smaller forts including the one in your photo with the helo deck were operated by the Navy

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Thanks for the lead. I will try it in P3D V3.4

I think after the war one or so of the forts were converted to helo landing pads. At least that is what I discovered from Wikipedia.

That one is Roughs Fort (on Ians map), now claimed as the Principality of Sealand

Ttfn

Pete

Climbing out of Manston, all forts visual at 3000ft

And some good history here--http://www.offshoreradiomuseum.co.uk/page458.html, i didnt realize Nore was demolished in 1959 as it was consider'd a hazard to shipping entering the port of London

Nothing there

Ian,

I went to the coordinates you gave me for the forts and nothing there. So this is not for P3D V3.4
    It was an old FS2004 scenery; Wish it could be converted.

Check your emails, Butch.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbiii View Post
    Check your emails, Butch.

Wow ya did it! It works great in P3D V3.3

Thanks Joe

Wow, they look better in your screen shots than in my install

PS, forgot to mention, ref Manston, if you downloaded V2, you'll find a EGMH_ADEX_IE_ALT bgl, that needs to go into your Scenery-World-scenery folder, that will correct your scenery altitude.

Wow, they look better in your screen shots than in my install

PS, forgot to mention, ref Manston, if you downloaded V2, you'll find a EGMH_ADEX_IE_ALT bgl, that needs to go into your Scenery-World-scenery folder, that will correct your scenery altitude.
    Wish the tops were hardened for helo pads. The center pods of each fort could accommodate one. Just a thought.

Don't have a civilian cruise boat for touring by the forts.
    Last edited by gray eagle; October 26th, 2019 at 13:54.

Helo landing

replacement texture's

Knock'd up some replacement texture's, just save the originals and drop these four into your Maunsell fort / texture folder
    Attached Files Attached Files

Knock'd up some replacement texture's, just save the originals and drop these four into your Maunsell fort / texture folder

Ian,

I like what you've done with the place. Looks better

Thanks, but i think you've accidentally posted a screen of the old texture's

Thanks, but i think you've accidentally posted a screen of the old texture's
    There.....Looks great.

Nice update Ian, thanks.

I have flown round Red and Shivering Sands towers on a few times (I'll dig out the pics), also out to Sealand (but out of range of their AA defenses! lol).

The towers are suffering a huge amount of steel reinforced concrete rot, lots of rusticles, with a thick coating of sea bird sh*t on top! So the new tex looks better than they really are, but I know you've done them as in WWII use.

We would fly from Essex, and from Southend (old RAF Rochford) airport, which is a little closer to most of them than Manston. Mind you I have always used Ian's RAF Manston in Fs9 or CFS2 a lot, all versions are good.

Also Gray-Eagle unfortunately you won't see them on Google Maps, they now use a generic sea tex instead of photo tiles in a lot of areas, which is a shame.

Cheers

Shessi

Members who have read this thread: 0