Windows 7 Support to End
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Support to End

Windows 7 Support to End

Had a message today that this is ending I think near year end. Views?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Yes, Microsoft plans to end support for Windows 7 on January 12, 2020. I have been in touch with the Symantec (Norton) folks and so far, they are saying that if you have their product suite, you can continue to use Windows 7 safely and securely after the expiration date. As always, I'm skeptical but really don't want to put up with Windows 10.

That's it, over and out.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

And I thought I was the last holdover. I finally upgraded to win10 middle of this year. There are a lot of annoyances that can be "fixed" with some googling, user input etc etc. Overall it's a pretty sleek and fast OS...and I'm fine with it. I don't have any more legacy software that I was holding onto Win7 for.
    FAA ZMP
    PPL ASEL

| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | EVGA GTX1080 Ti | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X |

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird686 View Post
    Yes, Microsoft plans to end support for Windows 7 on January 12, 2020. I have been in touch with the Symantec (Norton) folks and so far, they are saying that if you have their product suite, you can continue to use Windows 7 safely and securely after the expiration date. As always, I'm skeptical but really don't want to put up with Windows 10.

That's it, over and out.

BB686
    Hell, I'm still using XP for cripes sake!
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Don't be surprised if the Win 7 EOL [end of life] is extended yet again. [It's already had 5 years of reprieve]....
    2 out of every 5 computers on the planet are still running Win 7 ....IN SPITE OF Microsoft luring everyone [to their deaths] with "Free Upgrade to 10".
    The reality is that if you were on 8 or 8.1 ...the price was right for 10..... but for most people 7 was 'perfectly good for the purpose' [and still is].

Don't fret. Just educate yourself re good computing practice...and buy a GOOD Security Suite [that won't be Norton] and sit back and watch the Lemmings on 10 still putting up with beta testing one of the worst OS releases since 'ME' and 'Vista'...

I suppose Kaspersky Total Security package would be suitable ?. I wil be building/getting a new system at some piont in the near future . Would a purchase of Win7 disc now be ok to install after M$ withdraw support ?

I'm with Jafo on this one.
    Had to keep my present box online because a PITA parts supplier is holding my new build up.
    Loaded a fresh copy of W7-64 on a spare drive and locked out 90% of W7 'updates'.
    I use 'Webroot' for security and have few (if any) problems.
    W10-64 is loaded on the primary drive of the new build as a 'maybe' OS but that's because certain race sims will only run under W10.
    W7 is not 'obsolete' if it meets the users needs, period.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Don't want to start a war here but you're missing out a lot of performance that comes with windows 10. Yes, performance. Especially if you have an older intel cpu.

Icon13 When They Announce No More Support

Can't prove anything but after my XP got "bugs" after they stopped support and still sent updates to it I was convinced that that was the culprit. I am with a lot of others that do not allow ANY auto updates to MY Windows 7 64bit. And to boot...if you don't have windows 10 MS won't even let you demo the new Flight Sim, it doesn't work with Windows 7 I found out after hours of frustration trying to get it. You can only watch the utube videos they feed the masses which i don't bother with any more since I won't be able to run it on my system anyway. BTW I can't run P3D V4x either only V3 which IMHO isn't any better than my FSX with ORBX etc.

This should be fun

Got me a big bucket o’ popcorn for this thread. Carry on!
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Dumb question. If I move from W7 to W10 - apart from all the config issues - won't that wipe out all my P3D add on scenery and aircraft (about a 1,000 I reckon)?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Why not Norton? Been with it 20 years.

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Dumb question. If I move from W7 to W10 - apart from all the config issues - won't that wipe out all my P3D add on scenery and aircraft (about a 1,000 I reckon)?
    If you do an upgrade, you should be fine. But I would advise against that. Clean install is the best way forward! It would of course mean that you have to reinstall everything.

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by greenie View Post
    I suppose Kaspersky Total Security package would be suitable ?. I wil be building/getting a new system at some piont in the near future . Would a purchase of Win7 disc now be ok to install after M$ withdraw support ?
    Kaspersky would indeed be suitable. But there is no guarantee that you will find Windows 7 drivers for your shiny new hardware.

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    the Lemmings on 10
    Windows 10 Enterprise users on the slow ring for updates are hardly lemmings and are not being used as beta testers. More than likely they are IT professionals or people who know what they're talking about...

Priller

Quote Originally Posted by William Njurmi View Post
    Why not Norton? Been with it 20 years.
    Me as well... never had an issue.

BB686
    "El gato que camina como hombre" -- The cat that walks like a man

The bigger tragedy here is that Windows Mobile is dead for good, having received the final update a few days ago.
    Android just doesn't feel the same and minimizing data collection is much more tedious than on Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
    Don't fret. Just educate yourself re good computing practice...and buy a GOOD Security Suite [that won't be Norton] and sit back and watch the Lemmings on 10 still putting up with beta testing one of the worst OS releases since 'ME' and 'Vista'...
    Lemming number 3234258945 reports that Windows 10 is the best Windows it has ever had and will now continue beta-testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Windows 10 Enterprise users on the slow ring for updates are hardly lemmings and are not being used as beta testers. More than likely they are IT professionals or people who know what they're talking about...

Priller
    No....but mum and dad user are the poor suckers essentially forced to take updates whether they work or not...and on oh so many occasions they have NOT worked.
    Simple boring example...I have 2 Win 10 machines that refuse to accept one of the 'required' updates....failing every time....and I'm not 'mum and dad user' [spent years on Technet and currently have 16 systems running if you include VMware and VirtualBox.] Many of those are used to test GUI enhancements [I'm with Stardock].
    Lost track of all the Win 10 'fails' but I'm sure a simplistic Google will find you tomes of entertainment....

Quote Originally Posted by Bjoern View Post
    The bigger tragedy here is that Windows Mobile is dead for good, having received the final update a few days ago.
    Android just doesn't feel the same and minimizing data collection is much more tedious than on Windows.

Lemming number 3234258945 reports that Windows 10 is the best Windows it has ever had and will now continue beta-testing.
    Sadly...8, 8.1 and 10 were Microsoft's failed attempt to push a unified GUI experience on users...all for the sake of promoting the Windows Phone...which is now dead in the water...and they did so to the detriment of actual desktop users who really have no interest in greasy fingerprints all over their screen/work. The kernel may be fine and dandy [it is...to a degree...and is easy to argue as better than 7, but it's the GUI they ruined [without Start 10] and in the end for no good reason.

As for lemmings....they don't actually suicide...some pathetic TV producer threw them over the cliff for the documentary. There might just be a law against that now-a-days...

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    There are no dumb questions, only dumb answers..........
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

The problem with staying with Windows 7 is at some point in time there might be a security flaw found that MS will not be required to patch. The way the land scape has been going lately I would say the chance someone will find said bug is pretty good. What I have seen is if it is bad enough MS will patch it beyond support for a certain amount of time. Beyond that as the landscape for Win7 shrinks the likely hood someone will want to find a security hole starts shrinking.

I have found Win10 to be stable and reliable but I am in the IT field.

Bottom line if you want to stay with XP or Windows 7 its your decision. Until your hardware breaks things should work fine.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

Windows 10 pro OEM license is quite cheap if you want to move from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
    https://www.urcdkey.com/microsoft-wi...l_1966-20.html

Another happy Win 10 user here. I reisted it for the first year what with all the fuss about MS trying to force it on people.
    But being a VR convert it was inevitable I would have to convert eventually and I havnt looked back.

As for the GUI install Classic Shell http://www.classicshell.net/ and you can have the Win 7 menu back.
    Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero
    i9-9900K
    32Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro DDR4 3200MHz
    MSI RTX 2080Ti Ventus
    Corsair H115i Cooler
    Corsair RM850X PSU
    Phanteks Evolv X case
    Asus VG32G Monitor 2560x1440
    Win 10
    Oculus Quest 2
    Logitech G29
    Saitek X56
    Saitek Pro Pedals
    Saitek Cessna Trim Wheel

I do recall Microsoft will be offering "Windows 7 Extended Security Updates" (for a price?) beyond the upcoming cut-off date. Can anyone confirm this? Seemed a lot cheaper than buying a new computer rig to support Windows 10, as some of the components in my computer rig (motherboard, cpu, etc.) date back some 10+ years.

Tommy
    Windows 7 Professional 64 bit, 16 Gigs Ram
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Tower
    ASUS P7P55D Deluxe
    Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield Quad-Core 2.8 GHz LGA 1156
    ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB 128-Bit GDDR5
    SCEPTRE 27"
    WD Black 1 TB
    ASUS Xonar DS 7.1
    CORSAIR K95 RGB Platnum XT, PBT double-shot keycaps, Cherry MX Blue
    Logitech M510

I run FSX on my Win 7 machine (FSX,Media,Online) but everything else I run on my dedicated gaming machine which is Win 10. When we get the next iteration of Windows (Win 11?), I'll replace the Win 7 box with a from-scratch new one. I ran WinME for several years after support ended and it did what I needed it to do.

"Hornets by mandate, Tomcats by choice!"

Members who have read this thread: 0