"Rata" Dogfight

Thread: "Rata" Dogfight

"Rata" Dogfight

I took advantage of the Autumn Sale and got the I-16 and Spitfire. I had some DCS Miles built and and used them and my Credit Card Bonus and ended up getting the two for $22 on my end. Anyhow, the I-16 Rata is a challenge to fly, especially on takeoff and landing. It's a hand full in flight as well. So today I decided to try my hand at Dogfighting with it and didn't expect a great outcome BUT it turned out much differently than I thought it would. We met head on and he fired on me so I offset and he missed. At first he kept the 109 in a slashing attack which there was no way I could get my guns to bear on him except head-on or and with the 109's speed and power, really not much of a chance to keep with him or follow in the nose-up vertical. However, I just kept offsetting my passes and he got frustrated and then decided to get into a turning fight. From there, I owned him. After 2 heavy bursts of all 4 machine guns in a nose high over the target deflection shot (where I couldn't see him under my nose and sight), I landed solid hits. He began smoking and leveled out. That's when I finished him off and he bailed out! So the Rata isn't so bad a dogfighter after all. All I can say is, if you're flying against one with a faster aircraft, stay out of a bled down energy state knife fight! Stay at speed and slash them head on or at any good angle from behind/above and behind.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"After 2 heavy bursts of all 4 machine guns in a nose high over the target deflection shot (where I couldn't see him under my nose and sight)"

Sounds like every hit on target I ever get in IL2 Battle of Stalingrad. I can never see the target when taking deflection shots, and am just guessing (or doing advanced trajectory calculations in my head). Too far back I suppose.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Members who have read this thread: 0