Best FA-18A/C model

Thread: Best FA-18A/C model

Best FA-18A/C model

Hello,

I'm trying to find out the "best" legacy Hornet model to run, but at least to me it seems there are a lot of official and non official models out there, some based on the MS Hornet from FSX and some seems to be new models. What do the SOH crowd recommend?

I'm currently testing out a model called the FSXBA Hornet 18.4. The model seems very good, but I'm having strange rudder movements along the yaw axis when flying which makes it impossible to fly the aircraft.. I assume it is a problem with some of the coded flight behaviour, but I cannot get it to disappear. Any advice on this issue as well?

Thanks!

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

That is the one I mentioned :-) Looks jolly great, but I have this strange yaw issue when flying. Rudders are moving automatically all over the place. Any advice?

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Check your controls and make sure that X and Y axis are not assigned to two different devices.

Thanks for the tip, but no joy. I have removed the joystick, throttle and pedals from the sim and even with none of them assigned the rudders are wildly moving all over the place. strange

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

Try increasing the Null Zone of the rudder axis ONLY. Slightly, not a lot. You may have some "noise" on the rudder channel. All the others should be real close to full left (0), with the "Sensitivity" full right (maximum).

Do you allow the installer install the .NET Framework required? Do you have the Yaw Damper OFF? Are you certain that the autopilot is OFF? Every AP function, not just one or two.

Do you have the FSX default flight, the trike over the Friday Harbour, IIRC, your sim's default flight, not a saved flight? If not, make that your default, and only load in the Hornet once the Freeflight page is totally loaded.

Did you install the correct Hornet? There is one specifically for P3D V4 and up, and one for FSX and P3D v3 and below.
    Are you running the sim as Administrator?

Ok, I shut up now...

Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Feeling a little 'Blue' today .......... It's definitely lonely up here without the rest of the team.
    FSXBA model in FSX with SP1&2 (no Acceleration).

Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Also feelin' a little Blue today! FSX with SP1 and 2. Rudders are rock steady. FSXBA model C.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	blue angel.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	72305

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	angel1.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	16.0 KB 
ID:	72306
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    Also feelin' a little Blue today! FSX with SP1 and 2. Rudders are rock steady. FSXBA model C.

Great shots !
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

Up close and personal with a member of the Golden Dragons Squadron ...... at one time based out of USS Kitty Hawk.

Cheers, MZee ...

Nice screenshots! I'm still having the FSXBA Hornet fly all over the place when landing due to strange rudder movements. I have tried all the things people have mentioned over at the FSXBA forum, but no luck.. I have found out that it only happens with 3rd party addon airfields, not on default airfields... Very strange, I have never seen anything like it before.

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

I'm having the same problem with the latest version (18.4), with elevator flutter as well. I had to revert to version 18.3. I've notified the developer, who is working out the problem.

Hoping for a fix in the near future, but haven't seen much on their forum lately regarding an update.

Cheers,
    Reggie

The FSXBA Hornet is great! Like payware quality great imo. But, I'm sure like some I usually wait a bit before upgrading to the next version. I'm still using v18.3 as well. Love this jet. I made a video with it almost exclusively here recently.

Aerial Firefighting Aircraft Development & Simulation Group
    Simulated Air Tanker Operations Facebook! <<click
    SATO Youtube Channel! <<click

I'm using V18.3 (not 18.4) without problems. Maybe try this version ?

FSXBA claim V18.3 is latest 'stable' version, whereas V18.4 is a 'test' or 'prototype' version and may still have certain quirks needing attention.

Cheers, MZee ...

FSXBA claim V18.3 is latest 'stable' version, whereas V18.4 is a 'test' or 'prototype' version and may still have certain quirks needing attention.
    That's correct, MZee. The v18.4 is essentially a "beta" version. If you have troubles with it, try deleting it, and going to the v18.3. I'm pretty sure most of the difficulties in the v18.4 weren't in the v18.3.

And yes, the v18.3 has a decent TP package installed. It's just missing ONE critical weapon. The HARM (AGM-88).
    I'm working on getting that fully functional. So far, I have the basic HARM functions installed, and it will fly to an active target, within about 60° of the nose. It gives you the option of, essentially, flying a "radial" around a detected, active SAM site, but outside their range, then firing on them to destroy their radar tracking vans. Then you can use a regular, 500 lb bomb to destroy the rest in relative safety.
    Just fly into the target low, like below 4-500 ft AGL, and do a pop-up bomb toss to place the bomb on the site. Doesn't give them time to fire a SAM at you. Trick is to have the target designated for the bomb before starting your run.
    Now I'm working on the Pullback feature, which allows you to have a HARM ready to fire, as soon as a target is is detected by the RHAW gear, no matter what other weapon, or mode (A-A or A-G), you have selected at the time. The plane's systems will switch to A-G, and select the next (or first ) AGM-88 available for use. Allows a snap-shot at a previously undetected SAM site that suddenly goes active, and targets your plane.
    Great mode for Wild Weasel type mission profiles, that are ingressing to another, predetermined SAM site. Like to clear a corridor for a mission to ingress to a target they were going to bomb.
    It's just going slow, cause I'm a relative tyro at XML programming. I'm learning as I go, though, and the one little part of the plane I'm working on is coming along. Hard part, for me, is the MFD displays for the Pullback mode. I'm getting there slowly, though

Jimi and Orion are working on perfecting the rest of the plane, and it's systems. The summer is a slow time, as they both are active duty military, and have responsibilities that take a lot of their time. Additionally, Jimi has a family, so summer is, in large part, family time for him.

Hope this helps a little...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Hi,

It is a marvellous looking model indeed! I'm having exactly the same issue with both V18.3 and V18.4...

Best regards
    Jens-Ole
    Repainting since FS5..

I have just upgraded to the Version 18.465 and find that it flies as good as the Ver 18.3. Only weird rudder movement that I see is when I set flaps, both rudders move inward but are still good for rudder control for takeoffs and landings. Probably a normal thing that occurred on the ver 18.3 as well, just never noticed.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

The rudders going in is perfectly normal. Helps set the plane's attitude. Do you press the little button on top of the Rudder Trim knob during your take off prep? You should. The plane is a "hands off" set up during the launch from the carrier. Obviously, that won't work on land, but you won't want to do any pitch movements on the stick during the take off roll. The plane will set it's self to right pitch attitude when the airspeed is correct for the plane's weight. All built into the FCS software.
    The plane sets the right pitch trim, 8.1°, during landing as well. Once the plane slows to on-speed, with the gear down, and flaps full down, the FCS sets the pitch to 8.1° for you. Then just use power to set the correct descent rate, and of course the stick for sideways flight path adjustments. No pitch adjustments on the stick required, or even recommended. Leave the pitch alone, let the plane do the pitching.
    Like my ex...pitch, pitch, pitch...

Do you all reset the FCS during your preflight checks? Little button just aft the throttle, on the left side panels. Then, when it pops back up after a second or two, press the button atop the Rudder Trim knob. Slightly further aft of the throttles on the left side-panels. It's a necessary step, like making sure the engines are running, or that you wipe the controls just before you launch.

Enjoy all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    Inactive now...

Thanks for the added info, Pat!

Members who have read this thread: 1