FSX - Engines stop sound does not Older FSX models

Thread: FSX - Engines stop sound does not Older FSX models

FSX - Engines stop sound does not Older FSX models

I have searched in vain for a fix to a very annoying bug in FSX which caused an engine sound of sorts to continue on even when the engines have been stopped or shutdown. There have been all sorts of fixes such as using Q on or off etc. None ever seemed to work. I started to play around with sound files learning how to get a single sound set to be a 3 or 4 engine sound mix. What I discovered was this and in the process a fix for the problem.

The sound is generated mostly by older MS 2004 sound files (or earlier) that have been ported across to FSX models, either by design or that was the best there was for that engine-aircraft combination. The files that create that annoying engine sound are NON-COMBUSITION wav files. For some reason and this is probably the bug FSX will not recognise the end of the wav loop for those files and just keeps playing them.

Solution - open the sound config file. Locate the first entries for NON COMBUSTION and use the // edit in front to edit them out. Then go down the sound file until you find the relevant links, they will be named NON COMBUSTION 1.00 1.01 etc and do the same // them so they cannot be read. Save the sound config file and hey presto no more annoying engine running on sounds when you shutdown.

Here is the example:

File begins like this:

ENG1_combustion=COMBUSTION.1.00
    ENG2_COMBUSTION=COMBUSTION.2.00
    ENG3_COMBUSTION=COMBUSTION.3.00
    ENG4_combustion=COMBUSTION.4.00

these are the file to edit out:

//ENG1_non_combustion=NON_COMBUSTION.1.00
    //ENG2_NON_COMBUSTION=NON_COMBUSTION.2.00
    //ENG3_NON_COMBUSTION=NON_COMBUSTION.3.00
    //ENG4_non_combustion=NON_COMBUSTION.4.00

and then these as you go down the config file list:
    //[NON_COMBUSTION.1.00]
    //[NON_COMBUSTION.1.01]

etc. Works like a charm and no issues with the way the other sounds work or the overall package.

Excellent find. I have also run across this problem with airplanes that I guess were port-overs. I always referred to it as "dieseling" (my Dad had a car that would do that after he shut the engine off, lol). Anyway, good info and thanks for the HU!!
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Very handy bit of info. Thank-you, for all the time you invested in this. This is a very common issue in FSX. I looked everywhere for the fix.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

Hello BendyFlyer,

Thanks for this tip!

Alain
    -

Great job!, Bendyflyer...I could never understand why after shutdown, some engines would still be roaring..Even the APUs runs after shutdown.
    Thank you for the tidbit....I'll definitely put it to good use... tp

Members who have read this thread: 1