North American Sabreliner

Thread: North American Sabreliner

North American Sabreliner

Anybody heard from AH on the build status of their Sabreliner ..... been awhile !

If I'm not mistaken this was another non - FSX production ?

Regards

Please be FSX, Please be FSX, Please be FSX

Quote Originally Posted by MustangL2W View Post
    I'm curious how much work is involved to convert an existing project from "Prepar3D" over to "FSX".

I could be mistaken but it didn't seem to take Dino very long at all to complete his Skyhawk conversion.

Regards
    Last edited by Aircanuck; October 11th, 2019 at 09:20.

Quote Originally Posted by Aircanuck View Post
    I'm curious how much work is involved to convert an existing project from "Prepar3D" over to "FSX".

I could be mistaken but it didn't seem to take Dino very long at all to complete his Skyhawk conversion.

Regards
    Good question, one that I don't think anyone has ever actually answered. My guess is that it's mostly a case of removing functions, coding and texturing conventions that are not compatible with FSX. That makes the process sound relatively simple but I'm sure it's not and the more complex the systems are, the more P3D'ish functions/animations have been incorporate. . .plus the texturing convention I mentioned (PBR is being used more and more and not compatible with FSX) and the simple becomes very time consuming and tedious. So it's not a matter of running it through MCX and changing a few things. . .at least from someone on the outside taking a guess that's how I imagine it.
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

It will be a coding issue that may halt the downgrade to 32bit as 64bit has so much more to offer in options than 32bit

Pbr textures wont effect or prevent model from loading in fsx, you may need to rename files and you will only get flat non gloss textures opposed to shat is seen in 64bit, but you can always create an alpha channel yourself. This is proven in recent carenado releases with people using pbr based textures in 32bit

Depending on how much advanced coding they put in it will be the determining factor

Quote Originally Posted by Aircanuck View Post
    Anybody heard from AH on the build status of their Sabreliner ..... been awhile !

If I'm not mistaken this was another non - FSX production ?

Regards
    From their facebook page yesterday:

Q "sabreliner is still in development?"
    A "oh yes, most certainly is still in development.Just waiting ts turn, like everything else."

In response to one of the questions in their January 2019 announcement they did say both FSX and P3D.

Looks like were still on track ....

Cheers

The Sabreliner will be completed and released for P3DV4.5+ first. If results are good and there is enough data to suggest it, we will then produce an FSX version. With the new sim around the corner, the work involved in producing for FSX from here on in is a distinct gamble. It is not a simple "conversion", it requires a separate model with non-PBR materials and textures etc. Also the definition in the 3D model has to be lower. I'm sorry if this will disappoint but we have to be practical now that the new sim is on the horizon.

Quote Originally Posted by bazzar View Post
    The Sabreliner will be completed and released for P3DV4.5+ first. If results are good and there is enough data to suggest it, we will then produce an FSX version. With the new sim around the corner, the work involved in producing for FSX from here on in is a distinct gamble. It is not a simple "conversion", it requires a separate model with non-PBR materials and textures etc. Also the definition in the 3D model has to be lower. I'm sorry if this will disappoint but we have to be practical now that the new sim is on the horizon.
    All very true. Thanks for even considering the backward compatibility. With a new sim on the horizon building backwards is a gamble.

Freeware vs Payware

It is understandable that AH is a business not a freeware developer so they have to look at the big picture and the bottom line despite how disappointed us "ol' fogeys" with FSX are LOL! Keep up the good work and upgrade the FSX stuff when you can for us who supported you for so long in the past; loved the B17 and other aircraft-- thank you for all the work there.

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    It is understandable that AH is a business not a freeware developer so they have to look at the big picture and the bottom line despite how disappointed us "ol' fogeys" with FSX are LOL! Keep up the good work and upgrade the FSX stuff when you can for us who supported you for so long in the past; loved the B17 and other aircraft-- thank you for all the work there.
    Oh we havent forgotten FSX. We've got something else planned for FSX. And yes the planned idea will work in P3d but it is definitely FSX specific. We're working on it in our free time... ( wait what you have free time ? Shouldnt you be either working or watching the allblacks on tv ? I see watching/supporting the allblacks as a job and perfectly good use of time ! ) . We'll be making some noise sometime once it is closer than the beery-gunna stage.

We're not old fogeys our computers might be but you and I arent old fogeys. ( now where did I put my quilted rug and my pipe ? )

Members +
    Ah actually had a great range of unique freeware for FS2004, that has sadly disappeared.
    We had a flying pumpkin, a remotored BF109 with a Spitfire engine and a couple of others,including a BOB formation flight with a Spitfire, Hurricane and a BF109.. Good times!
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Tthe P3Dv4 Aeroplane Heaven SABRELINER looks so good...

Quote Originally Posted by MustangL2W View Post
    Yes please!

I like bizjets... that's why I'd love to see the (now freeware) Aeroplane Heaven Sabreliner in FSX one day...

In the meantime, here's (again) Jim Goldman's Lockheed Jetstar II:

Carenado's Falcon 50:

Carenado's D18S:

Arild Elverum and Thomas Roehl's Falcon 20 with alternate VC:

Some more AH Sabreliner...

SOH-CM-2020
    I'd love to get the AH Sabreliner in FSX.

Although it's a free download from ORBX, I tried to download the P3Dv4 Sabreliner, but because I don't have P3D installed, I wasn't able to get it into my ORBX account FSX files.

I was hoping to see if it would work in FSX as is, or alias the VC to something similar.

We can but dream.

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by PeteHam View Post
    I'd love to get the AH Sabreliner in FSX.

Although it's a free download from ORBX, I tried to download the P3Dv4 Sabreliner, but because I don't have P3D installed, I wasn't able to get it into my ORBX account FSX files.

I was hoping to see if it would work in FSX as is, or alias the VC to something similar.

We can but dream.

Pete
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AH CT-39E repaint.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	208.8 KB 
ID:	92709

I have the P3D4 version and wanted to do some NAVY T-39 repaints. After some research I got interested in the fact that the Navy bought some used civilian Sabre 40 models and had them converted and apparently maintained as a "turn key" operation in the Training Command and logistics support squadrons. Thes were CT-39E and T-39N models.

The Sabre 40 initially looked exactly like the The original T-39 A/B/D with two windows, but later ones had three windows on each side, the center ones also encompassing an escape hatch.

In my repaint effort, I dummied in a center (non-transparent) window, fixed some of the detail around the AH impressions of the front door, dumbed down some of the bump map depth, etc.

The CT-39Es changed their paint jobs at various times and there are few, poor pictures of them to work from. I used an add for a decal sheet for most of my general striping references.

This is still in work. I have to do th engines and wing markings, perhaps over the long weekend. This is difficult to repaint in many ways, but it is pretty close.

Almost forgot all the good work we did on Jim’s JetStar II
    It and the Carenado F50 and Falcon 20 are my favourite “mid size” retro bizjets.
    Where is the alternate VC for the Falcon available?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

The Falcon 20 alternate VC is actually the Carenado Hawker H850XP VC textures I changed to greyscale, with default CRJ700 gauges... Suits my need for low fps, high eye-candy...

Nice job with the Training Command repaint!

AH Sabreliner P3D4 CT-39E repaint finished

Finally done as best I can do. The first pictures the real thing at a different time and different MODEX/ BuNo.
    I had to use artistic license regarding the top and bottom wings because there are no good photos of these CT-39E / VTC-39E's.

They belonged to various Fleet Logistics Support Squadrons, deployed forward normally as detachments, such as Cubi Point or Sigonella. They often served as "Flag Barges" for fleet commanders / staff, etc.

This in general is a great model, the VC in particular and it flies well. Two shortfalls are the lack of a paint kit, and I believe the bottoms of the fuselage windows should be aligned with the bottom of the cockpit side windows - in other words they are a little too low. These are built into the model so I can't change them. In addition, white engine cowlings seem to show some annoying shadows at certain angles which don't seem to bad with other colors. I guess this has to do with the model mapping - I am no PBR expert, for sure.

The turn key T-39Ns were generally the same, painted TRACOM orange and white. However a couple had modified noses to incorporate A-7E or F-14 radars for specific NFO training. One was lost in an ACM training engagement against a T-39G (5-window Sabre 60). The air to air collision killed all aboard both airplanes.

The USAF apparently never moved past the T-39B model. I have a particular fondness for the USAF T-39. While in basic jet training at NAS Meridian I found out that there were occassional T-39 flights from Maxwell AFB in Alabama to Andrews AFB outside Washington, DC. Just before Christmas of 1965 I drove some 130 miles to Maxwell hoping to catch a flight to DC, where I intended to ask my future wife to marry me.

Luckily a very kind one-star let me hitch a ride and told me "good luck". It all worked out, but I had to pay my way back to Meridian via Eastern to Atlanta and Southern (in a 404) to Meridian. The cost of the ring and air fare left me pretty broke, but it was worth it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CT-39E VRC-50.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	170.9 KB 
ID:	92711
    Last edited by Mike71; December 23rd, 2023 at 08:20.

What a very nice story!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Members who have read this thread: 6