USS Ranger (CV-4) in the 1940th
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: USS Ranger (CV-4) in the 1940th

USS Ranger (CV-4) in the 1940th

USS Ranger (CV-4) was the first ship of the United States Navy to be designed and built from the keel up as an aircraft carrier. Ranger was a relatively small ship, closer in size and displacement to the first US carrier—Langley—than later ships. An island superstructure was not included in the original design, but was added after completion. Deemed too slow for use with the Pacific Fleet's carrier task forces against Japan, the ship spent most of World War II in the Atlantic Ocean where the German fleet was a weaker opposition. Ranger saw combat in that theatre and provided air support for Operation Torch. In October 1943, she fought in Operation Leader, air attacks on German shipping off Norway. The ship was sold for scrap in 1947.

This is not my model. Found it as freeware with permission to change and convert.

So i only did the convertion to fsx, give her a harddeck and arrestor cable, put the working barrier onto her and gave her a crew and deck layout. She will come in the next days as upload here together with some cruisiers and destroyers i also convert. Just a little bit of testing with her in fsx....

First shots....

Also in work to come within the next 2 weeks .... USS Saratoga (CV-3), USS Enterprise (CV-6) amd the USS Midway (CV-41) without angeld deck, as she was in the 1950th. Very fast workingtime for those ships because there are not many details to change. Just give some live to those ships.

Greetings
    Klaus

This is Christmas in October! You have some great stuff coming out, Klaus. Much appreciated.

Yes thank you Klaus

Good find and thank for your efforts Klaus. One small question are the aircraft not a bit too modern?

Cheers,
    Huub

Carrier looks great, nice deck.
    One small question are the aircraft not a bit too modern?
    It will most probably come with variations... But good point.
    My Military Flight Videos :

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Good find and thank for your efforts Klaus. One small question are the aircraft not a bit too modern?

Cheers,
    Huub
    As ever.... you are right . It`s not the wrong timeline, but the wrong theater. In pacific the corsair were in use. In Atlantic the USS Ranger has got Wildcats on her deck during WWII. Will change that.
    Must have a look to the aircraft during the 1930th too. That will be the 2nd layout. There were Curtiss BF2C-1 Goshawk fighters on deck in 1934 and Grumman F3F-1 in 1936.

greetings
    Klaus

And some shots from these models in FSX testing

greetings
    Klaus

The resolution of mdlx printscreens seem to be higher than those of the others in FSX, and sometimes I have solved that problem just duplicating the size of the texture map (from 1024 to 2048, for instance)

Great job, Antonio Diaz (not Fernando, I suppose) gave you the key of a gold mine.

Just to have a look.....

Lexington, Midway and Enterprise

greetings
    Klaus

VF-6 also operated the Boeing F-4b from Ranger's deck during the 30's

USS RANGER funnels

Good looking update. Just for info the funnels were hinged and lowered when flight ops were going on. Not sure if the model allows this to happen.
    Regards

Some photos with CV-4 Ranger's funnels lowered. Note the TBF caught by a funnel,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CV-4 Ranger rigged for flight ops.jpg   CV-4 Ranger funnels down.jpg   CV-4 TBF Caught by stack.jpg  

Now the USS Ranger.... with the aircraft that matches timeline 1943 and theater Atlantic. (Still some textures to do)

Timeline 1930th will follow soon.

greetings
    Klaus

And USS Ranger in 1936.... (aircraft texture still to do)

If this package is ready, you will get these two versions, one empty deck version with crew and all used aircraft models. So you can do your own decklayouts too. Will do the readme tomorrow.

Packege will also get the USS Iowa (BB-61), USS Indianapolis (CA-35), USS Omaha (CL-4), USS Smith (DD-17), USS Sampson (DD-63), USS Clemson (DD-186) and the USS Nicolas (DD-449)

greetings
    Klaus

Sorry to have caused you all this extra work Klaus, however very much appreciated

Cheers,
    Huub

Awesome ! Look fantastic. New toys to play with... thank's.
    My Military Flight Videos :

Klaus,
    Just terrific - and stunning!
    Love the 'ol F-4B-4's on deck. I was able to grab one (modified for use in FSX) from another website (Simviation), and the tailhook animation works fine in MCX, but not in the sim - can't figure that one out yet...

Sorry for the momentary hijack - but having some vintage Naval aircraft to fly with this beauty is a necessity!
    Many thanks for this, your SCB-27A and 27C (pre-SCB125) ships, and for the future Enterprise and Lexington and Midway (straight deck). Wow.

Any thoughts given to the Forrestal class? That would be just about the last set of US Carriers that would need to be modeled.

Thanks again for the marvelous work.

Deke
    Navy81

Quote Originally Posted by navy81 View Post
    Love the 'ol F-4B-4's on deck. I was able to grab one (modified for use in FSX) from another website (Simviation), and the tailhook animation works fine in MCX, but not in the sim - can't figure that one out yet...
    Deke, the problem with your tailhook animation may be in the Aircraft.cfg entry [hydraulic_system] where the "normal_pressure" is set to "0.0". Hydraulic pressure is required for raising or lowering the tailhook on all AC. Just modify the entry to (for example) "normal_pressure = 1050.0" (units in PSI) and the tailhook should work.
    Thanks to SOH member vmag17 for that bit of info.

Add this to the aircraft.cfg.

[hydraulic_system]
    electric_pumps=0
    engine_map=1,0,0,0
    normal_pressure=6.930556

This is what I added after I did a conversion of the fs9 a/c. Just know that she needs work done to the airfile as she is a hot rod and doesn't slow easy.
    She will also nose over on traps so you may need to adjust the tail hook. I was working on this but was asked to do some paints for an upcoming project
    and never went back to it.

Joe
    I7 6700K @ 4.8 / Gigabyte Z170X UD3 / 16GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200mhz / EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW Ultra 8GB / EVGA SuperNova 750 G2
    Samsung 960 Evo NVMe M.2 250gb Boot Drive / 960 Evo 1 TB SSD - Game Drive / WD Blue 500GB SSD - Sim Drive / WD Black 1TB HD
    Fractal Design Celsius S36 AIO Cooler / Fractal Design Define R6 / LG
    32GK850G-B 32" 1440P 144Hz G-Sync Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Butcherbird17 View Post
    Add this to the aircraft.cfg:
    [hydraulic_system]
    electric_pumps=0
    engine_map=1,0,0,0
    normal_pressure=6.930556
    I think you posted that hydraulic system entry in another thread about the F4B back in July because that's the entry I have in my F4B's cfg file. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by TARPSBird View Post
    I think you posted that hydraulic system entry in another thread about the F4B back in July because that's the entry I have in my F4B's cfg file. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tarpsbird and Joe,
    Many thanks. Will run that into the cfg file today.
    Cheers,
    Deke

Supurb model and detailing!
    PSULLYKEYS

The only thing necessary for evil to win is for good men to do nothing.

Angry

This is an era and area (naval aviation in the 30’s) that is quite lacking for shipboard operations in FSX (IMHO). Klaus, is there any update on this work? Really fantastic. Want to ensure we can keep this thread on page 1....Looking forward to the release, and many thanks in advance!Deke

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Have you given any thought to resurrecting the USS Langley (CV-1) - especially in light of the aforementioned idea re: this era?

Over at Simviation there is a very nice Langley (CV-1) for FSX, AICarriers compatible, by Ronald Dandurand. He also has an equally nice Aeromarine 39B biplane, one of the first planes used on the Langley. Do a search for "USS Langley CV-1" and they'll both come up.

Members who have read this thread: 2