Collings foundation B-17...terrible breaking news...

Thread: Collings foundation B-17...terrible breaking news...

Exclamation Collings foundation B-17...terrible breaking news...

Hey guys,

I don't know much in the way of circumstances other than the fact that it was trying to land and crashed into a shed...multiple injuries reported, and described as a "fiery crash." I hope no one was killed.

https://www.wcvb.com/article/reports...rport/29338521
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Rgr that Rami. I hope most got out in time!

Found this photo of the crash area.

Apparently the crew declared an emergency shortly after takeoff and requested an immediate return to the field. It was observed that the aircraft failed to gain altitude but no other issues (visible) with the aircraft where noted. During the landing attempt, there was either a runway excursion post landing or runway heading excursion prior to landing and loss of directional control. The aircraft struck a building and liquid storage tanks in the de-icing area just southwest of the airline terminal building. There were 13 on board including the crew. So far, two confirmed fatalities, possibly more. One technician on the ground in or near the de-icing area was reportedly injured. Further reports regarding injuries and fatalities will be withheld until family members of those involved are properly notified.

It is a sad day for all involved. May those lost Rest in Peace....

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This is sad, was just behind these guys (and the -24) earlier this year while they were on tour in CA, tried to slow to let them in 1st into KACV.
    Fly Navy/Army
    USN SAR
    DUSTOFF/ARMY PROPS

SOH-CM-2023
    Dang. I've been through that 17 multiple times.
    You can't take the sky from me...

Latest word is seven dead. By now that's probably a final number.

Looking at the photo Moses03 posted, it's a miracle that anyone survived.

KBDL is just a quick run down I-91 from here so local news is all over it.

A scumbag Connecticut senator is trying to score points by demanding an investigation by NTSB, as though they never would have looked into it without his urging, and demanding that all warbirds and antique planes be immediately grounded.

According to witnesses, the number 3 engine failed shortly after takeoff. The climb out stopped and the pilot made a low level, broad turn to come back to runway 6. By the time they were on final, they were too low and the Nine-O-Nine struck a landing instrument, which sent her off towards the de-icing facility where she crashed. This is a horrible tragedy with 7 of the 13 aboard perishing in the crash. I've seen Nine-O-Nine many times, seen her fly over my house, I even went for flight on her about 20 years ago. I'm devastated about the events of Wednesday morning.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

I was watching a local news coverage of an NTSB brief. They said the plane started taking out approach light poles a thousand feet short of the runway approach end. This just doesn't make sense. A loss of one engine should not have resulted in being unable to climb, or this terrible result. Very sad and tragic. I hope they can figure out what happened.
    MB: GIGABYTE GA-X299 UD4 PRO ATX
    CPU: Intel(R) Core™ Processor i9-10900X Ten-Core 3.7GHz
    MEM: 64GB (8GBx8) DDR4/3000MHz Quad Channel
    GPU: RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6
    HP Reverb G2

Unhappy

7 currently dead....

Quote Originally Posted by PRB View Post
    I was watching a local news coverage of an NTSB brief. They said the plane started taking out approach light poles a thousand feet short of the runway approach end. This just doesn't make sense. A loss of one engine should not have resulted in being unable to climb, or this terrible result. Very sad and tragic. I hope they can figure out what happened.
    I agree, the B-17, like most multi-engine aircraft, is quite capable of continuing in some degree of climb with one engine out. This is looking like either their was more wrong than just one engine out, or the PIC did not apply more power and continue the climb, but simply turned and ended up far too low for a safe approach.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick View Post
    Latest word is seven dead. By now that's probably a final number.

Looking at the photo Moses03 posted, it's a miracle that anyone survived.

KBDL is just a quick run down I-91 from here so local news is all over it.

A scumbag Connecticut senator is trying to score points by demanding an investigation by NTSB, as though they never would have looked into it without his urging, and demanding that all warbirds and antique planes be immediately grounded.
    You wouldn't be referring to FAKE war hero Richard Blumenthal?

P.S.
    In 2010, The Times found that Blumenthal had made misleading statements about his war service for at least seven years, since 2003, and that the press had reported that he was a Vietnam veteran for at least a decade!
    Jay
    USNR-Ret; Former Airline Migratory Worker; Builder, Owner, Operator RV-8 N817J
    Comp Spec - ASRock Steel Legend WiFi M/B, Ryzen 7 5800X, RX 6900 XT, 32GB RAM, M2 SSD for DCS, SATA SSD for MSFS2020

Quote Originally Posted by rvn817j View Post
    You wouldn't be referring to FAKE war hero Richard Blumenthal?

P.S.
    In 2010, The Times found that Blumenthal had made misleading statements about his war service for at least seven years, since 2003, and that the press had reported that he was a Vietnam veteran for at least a decade!
    Neither called for nor relevant.
    Keep on topic thank you.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Heartbreaking - thoughts and prayers go out to all involved, their friends and families and also to the Collings Foundation.

RIP Mac and Mike along with the others lost. Article below with some more detail and the names of the victims of the crash.

https://www.boston.com/news/local-ne...ims-identified

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2231.jpg   IMG_4243.jpg  
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses". - Elwood
    Learn more about the mission of the Collings Foundation here - www.collingsfoundation.org
    Collings Foundation Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/collings.foundation

Thank you CMSGT James Traficante

Chief brought his fire retardent gloves with him on the flight instrumental in saving lives. Former East Providence fire fighter for two decades.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Members who have read this thread: 0