F-8 Crusader Afterburner Effects.zip
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: F-8 Crusader Afterburner Effects.zip

F-8 Crusader Afterburner Effects.zip

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category FSX Effects

Description: Afterburner effects for FSX/P3DV3 F-8 Crusader J57 Turbojet engine single stage afterburner.

Choose the correct AB effect files for either FSX or P3Dv3 and entres for [smokesystem] section in the aircraft.cfg file.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit F-8 Crusader Afterburner Effects.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Thanks Ted for doing this , really appreciate you making this work.
    It's awesome

Edit: The AB kicks in at a very low throttle setting esp during ground taxi.
    Is there an adjustment in the cfg file so that the AB doesn't flame during taxing?
    I don't want to toast the marshaller?

Maybe changing this?
    afterburner_throttle_threshold = 0.95 //Percent of throttle range where a/b begins

Last edited by gray eagle; September 30th, 2019 at 16:28.

Just for grins, I thought I change the new AB smoke entry to the lights section:

[lights]
    ;1=beacon, 2=strobe, 3=navigation, 4=cockpit, 5=landing
    ;6=taxi, 7=recognition, 8=wing, 9=Logo, 10=cabin
    light.0 = 4, 23.00, 0.00, 2.00, fx_vclight_red
    ;light.1 = 5, 2.00, 3.00, -1.70, fx_shockwave_landing_light_small_old
    ;light.2 = 7, -11.46,-17.55, 1.33, fx_contrail_Alpha Viggen
    ;light.3 = 7, -11.46, 17.55, 1.33, fx_contrail_Alpha Viggen
    light.1 = 9, -17.60, 0.00, 0.10, fx_F8_AfterBurner_P3D3 <<< new ab entry

[smokesystem]
    smoke.0 = -22.00, 0.00, 0.00, fx_F8_engsmoke
    smoke.1 = -17.60, 0.00, 0.10, fx_dummy
    ///smoke.2 = -17.60, 0.00, 0.10, fx_F8_AfterBurner_P3D3 <<< borrowed from here
    smoke.3 = -11.46, 17.55, 1.33, fx_fueldump

The good news, the plane can taxi faster without throwing a flame.

The bad news, the flame looks like almost what it use to look like:

P3Dv3 doesn't like you for some reason! I have no issues with taxiing without AB and will upload a video shortly. My job is done. Most pilots are probably are FSXers.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

Gotta put that F8 in Flight Sim 2020 when it comes out next year.

Taxiing with ease! Not even using max military power setting.

I did a test between the older and newer AB effects in FSX

Older
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	older.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	28.2 KB 
ID:	71684

Newer

Name:	new.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	71685
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    P3Dv3 doesn't like you for some reason! I have no issues with taxiing without AB and will upload a video shortly. My job is done. Most pilots are probably are FSXers.
    I reinstalled (again) the whole tamale (addon) and now, my low taxi speed without AB premature flame; looks like your video,

Don't know if there were error entries in the .cfg file. Had two smoke systems entrys and though one was blanked out.

Strange but true

I think I know why the new (final) AB effects caused it to flame at low taxi speeds (at least for me).

I had use an F-8 panel mod that JFTO created and was using that for ALL my F-8 panels.

When I reinstalled the F-8 addon, the Aircraft.cfg was calling stock panels but sans JFTO panel.

When I remove those JFTO panel entries from all textures, and for whatever reason, I could taxi at a moderate speed

with out the AB flare ups. Strange, but true.

Hi Ted,

Just curious if your AB effect and gauge in this thread can be made to work with other jets ?
    I have the FSXBA F/A 18C Hornet, but the only way to get the afterburner to work in my FSX is through the I key - not realistic IMHO.
    I'm thinking along the lines of the 'Beech-18 gauge' ,(link below), I have installed in many of my aircraft - but this time for an afterburner effect instead of smoke effect.

https://flyawaysimulation.com/downlo...o-smoke-gauge/

Thanks.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

All white "Arctic" build.

The FSXBA F/A 18C Hornet doesn't have AB effect by default? Can you give me a link to the aircraft?

Quote Originally Posted by MrZippy View Post
    I did a test between the older and newer AB effects in FSX

Older

Newer
    Here's how it looks in FSX Alpha F-8. If your using the RF-8 there seems to be a problem with AB gauge. Check with gray eagle I think he has a solution.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AB-1.jpg  

The FSXBA F/A 18C Hornet doesn't have AB effect by default? Can you give me a link to the aircraft?
    You mean this one? There is a FSX and P3D V4 version. Just scroll down a little for the links.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/ind...c,16514.0.html

Check with gray eagle I think he has a solution.
    Not really. In order to have your new AB effect compatabile with Dean's RF-8, I tinkered with the RF-8 panels and its main texture folder
    so that I could merge it to the V2 F-8. The RF-8 panels somehow block the new AB effect. This has Dean flummoxed and he may rewrite
    and reissue his read me on merging his RF-8 to the Henk's V2 F-8.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    Not really. In order to have your new AB effect compatabile with Dean's RF-8, I tinkered with the RF-8 panels and its main texture folder
    so that I could merge it to the V2 F-8. The RF-8 panels somehow block the new AB effect. This has Dean flummoxed and he may rewrite
    and reissue his read me on merging his RF-8 to the Henk's V2 F-8.
    Whatever the gauge that's in the .CAB file and how it's set up in the panel.cfg looks to be at conflict or missing. In the .CAB file has the (AB) .xml gauge, but figuring what the name is can be difficult to find. In the F-8 it's called Engine_FX.xml in the F-8_xml.CAB file for AB effects using the [smokesystem].

Dean will have to explore that issue with the RF-8.

Quote Originally Posted by gray eagle View Post
    You mean this one? There is a FSX and P3D V4 version. Just scroll down a little for the links.

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/ind...c,16514.0.html
    Ok thanks, will grab the FSX version.

Ok thanks, will grab the FSX version.
    Yes, @grayeagle is correct. The FSX version is what I have.

I have also just tried the 'Slaved Burner Control' method described here : https://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/showt...need-lights-on , but to no avail.
    The AB effect turns on/off with the L key only, I find.
    Cheers, MZee ...

W11, Ryzen 9 7950X3D, GeForce RTX 4090 AERO OC, ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming, G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6000 CL30 AMD EXPO 32GB (2), Kraken Z73 360mm, Lian Li UniFan SL120 V2 (10), Samsung 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe 2TB (4), MEG Ai1300P, Lian Li O11D XL, Logitech Z906 5.1, T16000M FCS HOTAS, Xbox Controller, Acer Nitro XV282K 4K UHD LED.

Ok, I looked at the F-18 AB effects and parts are oversized and parts are undersized. No animation of the flames and very few AB rings. Overall it works as designed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F18 AB.jpg   F18 AB-2.jpg  

Ok, I looked at the F-18 AB effects and parts are oversized and parts are undersized. No animation of the flames and very few AB rings. Overall it works as designed.
    Thank-you, Ted, for looking into this.
    I saw your link to the other new post for the AB updates.
    I admire your great devotion to this hobby and all your attentiveness to detail.

Just one stupid question .... I downloaded the same F-18 you did, and cannot get the included AB effect to engage. I have the 'FA-18.dll' gauge installed, but am running FSX with SP1&2 (no Acceleration). Gauges, HUD, vapor effects on wings, heat shimmer, etc. etc. all seem to work fine - but no AB. Only way to turn the AB on is to hit the 'shift-F4' , and then I get what looks like '4 orange pearls on a string' effect coming out of each exhaust - totally different effect. Go figure. I am beginning to believe the F-18 AB gauge/effect may somehow be tied to software in FSX's Acceleration pack. I also remember, Milton Shupe had to make some changes to the AB gauge/effect for non-Acceleration FSX'ers in his XF-92 Convair Delta Wing available here : http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...23667&catid=38 .

I don't want to occupy any more of your time with this issue, as I'm happy with the F-18 'as is' .
    ... I just brought this up thinking maybe there is something really obvious here to you which may explain why the FSXBA F-18 AB not working in FSX SP1&2.

Thanks,
    MZ
    Cheers, MZee ...

That could be, I'm running the FSX-SE version and didn't add the 'FA-18.dll' gauge. Do the AB effects work on the F-8 Crusader if your flying that one? May want to ask Milton on how it works on non-accelerated FSX.

That could be, I'm running the FSX-SE version and didn't add the 'FA-18.dll' gauge. Do the AB effects work on the F-8 Crusader if your flying that one? May want to ask Milton on how it works on non-accelerated FSX.
    In Milton's XF92a, which I linked in my above post #20 here, ... he specifically has in the panel folder a XML file labelled 'SP2_AB_Controller' ;
    ... in panel config there's an entry under [VCockpit01] ... ' gauge32=xf92a!SP2_AB_CONTROLLER, 4,2,2,2 // FSX SP2 AB Gauge Fix used in conj w aircraft.cfg AB stages=1 threshold=0 ;'
    and the AB effect is in [Smokesystem] section of aircraft config

I think there's a reason for all this. I think I'll go back to his XF92a thread and see if I can find something re this.

I don't have the F-8 yet, but Charlie (MrZippy) - post #7 above - also has FSX with SP1&2 like me. He shows the F-8 AB effect in his pics in same post, I believe.
    Cheers, MZee ...

'bstolle' Milviz stated this... "SP2 incorrectly calculates prop drag which results in a wrong drag calculation as well at idle and very low power settings. Afterburner handling is also different with SP2."

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/3...omment=2006857

Acceleration corrected the prop drag and made changes to how AB is handled. Looks like SP2 made the effects look like stars. Any of your jets have AB effects for SP2 and does it look correct?

Post further down explains other changes Acceleration did to FSX

"Acceleration has updated which is not part of the SP2 release stand alone update (turboprops, prop drag, afterburners, throttle thresholds, superchargers, turboshaft scaler and torque, etc.) As I stated the Acceleration Expansion Pack Disk adds alot more then just the SP2 platform performance tables for DX9 and 10."

https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/3...omment=2008084

Quote Originally Posted by MZee1960 View Post
    In Milton's XF92a, which I linked in my above post #20 here, ... he specifically has in the panel folder a XML file labelled 'SP2_AB_Controller' ;
    ... in panel config there's an entry under [VCockpit01] ... ' gauge32=xf92a!SP2_AB_CONTROLLER, 4,2,2,2 // FSX SP2 AB Gauge Fix used in conj w aircraft.cfg AB stages=1 threshold=0 ;'
    and the AB effect is in [Smokesystem] section of aircraft config

I think there's a reason for all this. I think I'll go back to his XF92a thread and see if I can find something re this.

I don't have the F-8 yet, but Charlie (MrZippy) - post #7 above - also has FSX with SP1&2 like me. He shows the F-8 AB effect in his pics in same post, I believe.
    I tried using the SP2 AB gauge and all of the things from Milton's XF92A but can't get the AB to engage just using the thrust levers. All panel entries and aircraft.cfg entries are there. I still use the i key to light the burners.

UPDATE: I now have full AB control using all of the good stuff from Milton's XF92A and using just the thrust lever to control AB on/off. I am using the XF92A AB effects in the [smokesystem].

Name:	RF-8 afterburner.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	68.4 KB 
ID:	71745
    Last edited by MrZippy; October 4th, 2019 at 10:13.
    Charlie Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and will eventually buy a new computer. Running a Chromebook for now!

The FSXBA F/A-18C v18.3 is the latest non-beta version out.
    It's designed for FSX WITH the Acceleration pack only. It doesn't work correctly in FSX without Accel.
    There are two versions, one for FSX and P3D v3 and below, and one for P3D V4 and above.

Both require the .NET Framework v3.5 .

The afterburner effects are linked to the throttles. Not to the lights key, or the I (smoke) key. Whether you use throttles on a joystick/yoke setup, or the F1-F4 keys to operate the throttles is of no import. Either/or will operate the throttles/AB effects.
    I did a lot of research to get the AB triggers and the AB stages/throttle position, as well as the fuel use both in throttle settings below AB (about 86 % IIRC) and above, so I know they are correct.
    The only real problem it has is inherent in FSX, and it is where the fuel use in the lowest AB setting is lower than in military. It's something FSX does, and no-one really knows why. Many attempts were made to correct this in the Hornet, but nothing worked, so it was just left in and ignored.

Hope this is some small help...
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Members who have read this thread: 3