M$ flight simulator - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: M$ flight simulator

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Interesting thus far that it's all about scenery and weather but SFA about actually 'flying'........
    or open SDK for 3rd party developers

Quote Originally Posted by zswobbie1 View Post
    I think that a new operating system comes first.
    It's going to have to be a whole new computer system for me. I've gotten more than my money's worth out of this old machine and it has lasted longer than any of my previous computers. I can say the same for FSX.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by p14u2nv View Post
    I've always dreamed of flying through a Cat 5 hurricane force winds in a P-3A Orion at 13fps! Now there's a bucket list accomplishment! lol
    Something like this?

Unreal Engine 4.23 - Speedtree - Substance Designer now put that in a sim.

"Time is God's way of keeping everything from happening at once"

There are supposedly lot of things still not hashed out yet, with the sim still being up to another year away from release (it hasn't even entered alpha testing yet, let alone beta). The Microsoft representatives have stated that their main focus for everything that has gone into this sim is the hard-core PC flight simmers, and they're placing a lot of importance on supporting addon developers, and will be discussing the SDK in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmfmYfXOI1w

Everything I have seen/heard thus far has really left me gobsmacked, especially so since they are running it top line on a currently rather reasonable system. I'm amazed by the new standard of atmospherics, the scenery (and especially the way it is produced), the water, sky and clouds, weather, etc. - it looks and acts so much closer to reality than any other sim that has come before, and I don't see how any other current sim, in their current structure, could come close to matching it. Just the video/screenshots shown thus far illustrate how vastly immersive the sim experience is/will be.

I have seen several videos by those who got an early, unrestricted hands-on look at the sim back in September, and among so many other topics, they all touch on the new flight dynamics. There has been a lot mentioned about how the new flight modeling is fed by over 1000 data points spread across all the surfaces of the model, interpreting how those various surfaces are interacting with the air around them (including wind and air density), and that the aircraft no longer act/feel as if they are on rails. Among other things, it allows for far more accurate stall and spin characteristics, and accelerated stalls, with the surfaces of the aircraft's wing, fuselage, tail truly being taken into account in various angles of attack, turns, and slips (stalling differently/accurately depending on which surfaces are or are not creating lift and drag at any given time, as well as taking into account g-loading and side-loads/forces, etc.). I've also heard that they have more accurate ground friction modeling now too, which also takes into account the nature and conditions of the surfaces the aircraft is traversing. I've also heard a lot of good about the new sound engine and the quality of the sounds, and the new dynamic sounds, such as sounds from rolling over the runway or terrain, sounds from being bumped around by turbulence, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Interesting thus far that it's all about scenery and weather but SFA about actually 'flying'........
    Per the Development road map the next video due out in Mid November will be about Aerodynamics.

Quote Originally Posted by jeansy View Post
    or open SDK for 3rd party developers
    October 17th was the Partner Announcement Series kickoff. The update we should see is not until mid November. They are working with some 3rd party developers but now but it must be pretty hush hush.

Its far too early to discuss an SDK but they did discuss addons at the Developer Q&A last month. Watch this video at 8:21 the question is asked.

ASUS TUF F17 Gaming Laptop
    17.3" 144Hz Full HD IPS-Type
    CPU 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11800H @ 2.30GHz 2.30 GHz
    Ram CORSAIR Vengeance 32.0 GB DDR4 3200
    NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Laptop GPU 6GB

It will be interesting whether its a selected sdk or open sdk

My concerns as its going through xbox live it will be DLC only for both platforms not to disadvantage any users

Which appears to me like msflight all over again, the biggest loser in this outcome will be the pc platform, where the number of developers will be severely limited to producing addons that can be used easily on both platforms.

Lots of pretty images and videos but no real raw expansion details.

Hmm didn't they announce quite early in the videos or updates that DLC could be downloaded from any sources ?

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    Hmm didn't they announce quite early in the videos or updates that DLC could be downloaded from any sources ?
    yeah but they havent said anything whether its a selected sdk or open sdk, that could mean MS approved addons via a 3rd party vs 3rd party

any source could mean, xbox live and xbox live pc, I cant see xbox users downloading from any fs website as we know it, its one game that works for 2 platforms, so what ever is designed will need to work for both xbox and PC, to me that severely limits the quality of the addons, and from what they have said so far its looks like it will be limited to what you can mod.

I cant see them making 2 different versions of this, one for PC and 1 for xbox, from early remarks from them its designed to work together with both platforms so you can fly online with someone with another platform.

if thats the case a number of developers may stay clear of this

You can't see them doing two versions, one for PC and one for XBox, but this is clearly what they have officially announced in their videos and interviews.

The fact that XBox users can't access external (non-MS) DLC doesn't mean anything. XBox users can't download cars or tracks from AssettoLand website, for example, while PC users can. So why would it be a problem from the new FS ?

As for the "closed" SDK, what would MS earn with such a choice, excepted the hate of the community ? Don't you think they understood the MS Flight mistakes ?

Quote Originally Posted by Daube View Post
    You can't see them doing two versions, one for PC and one for XBox, but this is clearly what they have officially announced in their videos and interviews.

The fact that XBox users can't access external (non-MS) DLC doesn't mean anything. XBox users can't download cars or tracks from AssettoLand website, for example, while PC users can. So why would it be a problem from the new FS ?

As for the "closed" SDK, what would MS earn with such a choice, excepted the hate of the community ? Don't you think they understood the MS Flight mistakes ?
    Youre misunderstanding the reference

Im refering to 2 seperate tailored versions of the same sim ie 2 complete seperate sims that will operate differnet from each other,

A well known fact is when MS port xbox to pc or vice versa normally keep everything as close as possible so people can interact with other people on the opposite platform
    I seen it too often with my xbox accounts both on xbox and pc

its been confirmed its the same version of the sim ie coding and logic that will work on both platforms

Saying that the level of coding and addons will be limited to they can run on both, so things as simple as A2A or MJs c47 will be dumbed down in order for xbox users thats even if they have unrestricted sdks

The whole idea of a pc sim with msfs will change as it will be tailored for the lesser of the 2 platforms and its a mind set that people dont undertand or havent comprehended yet

Until the sdk is openly released and 3rd party developers can have a look and give an idea of the limaitions impossed its way too early to get excited over pretty images and a monthly subcription fee

But from your posts you are missing my point

Members +
    What must also be noted is that the forthcoming Xbox will be totally different to the older one, and we have no idea if it will be able to sideload any addons. So the previous DLC comment above, is redundant. Pure speculation, not fact.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Blog Entries
    I for one, look forward to trying the new sim. I am so tired of all the problems and maintenance needed to keep PD3/FSX running correctly. It never fails, you get the sim running nicely and a week or so later something happens, leaving you scratching your head wondering why your nicely running sim is now DOA.

I don't blame the developers for trying to program around the sim's limitations. They are trying and usually do create a better running, flying, looking, etc product. The problem is that when you have a dozen different developers doing work-arounds sooner or later some code from one developer will conflict with code of another developer. Then we, the users, are left scratching our heads.

It looks like the new sim will come with a lot of current add-ons built in. The developers will also have a much more viable and rich set of basic code to build new aircraft, scenery, or whatever is needed. Hopefully, there will be little need of work-arounds.

As much as I am not an Apple fan, I will admit that their 3rd party restrictions and control helps their products to work well.
    Last edited by jmig; November 2nd, 2019 at 11:06.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Quote Originally Posted by TuFun View Post
    Something like this?

Unreal Engine 4.23 - Speedtree - Substance Designer now put that in a sim.

Exactly TuFun. I first saw UE a few weeks ago on Youtube and was at a loss for words then as I am now. If this will soon be reality as in having an active weather system based on actual and accurate real time weather input...I may indeed be able to get a feel for what an Orion is like in such wicked weather! I just hope this latest pc can handle it...keeping fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by jmig View Post
    I for one, look forward to trying the new sim. I am so tired of all the problems and maintenance needed to keep PD3/FSX running correctly. It never fails, you get the sim running nicely and a week or so later something happens, leaving you scratching your head wondering why your nicely running sim is now DOA.

I don't blame the developers for trying to program around the sim's limitations. They are trying and usually do create a better running, flying, looking, etc product. The problem is that when you have a dozen different developers doing work-arounds sooner or later some code from one developer will conflict with code of another developer. Then we, the users, are left scratching our heads.

It looks like the new sim will come with a lot of current add-ons built in. The developers will also have a much more viable and rich set of basic code to build new aircraft, scenery, or whatever is needed. Hopefully, there will be little need of work-arounds.

As much as I am not an Apple fan, I will admit that their 3rd party restrictions and control helps their products to work well.
    I gotta agree. I'm still on FSX, due to my antiquated computer. P3Dv4 looks great, but every time there is a version update, a bunch of things get broken, then the 3rd party developers have find solutions. Maybe if MS keeps a strict set of rules for 3rd party developers, we won't have such problems.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

It doesn't really matter if a new simulator is built for XBox, PC or your old granny's black and white TV. If people want it, they will buy it and adapt or change the way they play. If there is an SDK then developers will build add-ons. That will never change.

Members who have read this thread: 0