M$ flight simulator - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M$ flight simulator

Hopefully helicopters will come along at some point, the world environment being shown would be very good for helicopter flying.

As far as P3D goes, I was involved in a particular Corsair project, not sure how many Corsair pilots we are training?

That the emphasis is on scenery and no one seems to have commented on flight dynamics I am not holding my breath. FSX etc were OK and we learned to deal with them and certainly we learned how to make many work arounds to deal with weak points. In theory one could say that an airplane basically acts around a point, the CG, but this did lead to some limitations, especially in tail draggers. With some luck items such as multi stage supercharging, jet engine thrust, EPR, ground friction, lateral friction and braking will be much improved.

I hope that they don't go subscription model. It's the surest way to loose customers, giving them a constant reminder that they can evaluate and opt out.

Quote Originally Posted by fliger747 View Post
    Hopefully helicopters will come along at some point, the world environment being shown would be very good for helicopter flying.

As far as P3D goes, I was involved in a particular Corsair project, not sure how many Corsair pilots we are training?

That the emphasis is on scenery and no one seems to have commented on flight dynamics I am not holding my breath. FSX etc were OK and we learned to deal with them and certainly we learned how to make many work arounds to deal with weak points. In theory one could say that an airplane basically acts around a point, the CG, but this did lead to some limitations, especially in tail draggers. With some luck items such as multi stage supercharging, jet engine thrust, EPR, ground friction, lateral friction and braking will be much improved.

I hope that they don't go subscription model. It's the surest way to loose customers, giving them a constant reminder that they can evaluate and opt out.

I've got no clue what you're talkin' about - or to put more plainly: that's exactly what I thought....
    I wouldn't put too much into the lack of fde comments though: how many guys with PPL/ATP have flown the new sim up to now ?And all 2 of them seemed fairly convinced about the touch and feel....
    I do see a lot of oportunities on the other side of the cockpit door/the black curtain though...... Espacially for 3rd party developers: I'm still frozen in awe about the B-26 of Shupe Industries and one can only dream of what this would do to a B-24 or Halifax or Shakleton or Orion or....
    Interiors that would either be redicously simplyfied due to vector constrains or slow the fps to a crawl with all those VCs. There are ways around that - just not out of the box.

Flying straight and level would then only be the choice of airline pilots - great!

Btw: Do we know anything about the roadmap for p3d ? V5 is about due!?
    They all start with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience .
    The trick is, to fill the bag with experience before you run out of luck . . .

Quote Originally Posted by BendyFlyer View Post
    I think listening to the Development Team talk they have had carte blanche to make this thing work and work in the 21st Century and I like their approach and what they have done but when all is said and done if you want that level of realism which they will deliver then you need Petabytes of data stored somewhere because the world is a very big place indeed. Getting it in chunks as you need it is fine by me.
    You won't need 2 petabytes of local storage. They have it all stored in the Azure Cloud. It will be streamed on-demand as you fly along, as long as you are on-line.

For off-line use, simply pre-cache your departure airport and your destination airport. Allow the sim to use the default off-line scenery in between the two. At anything over 5k feet, there will be enough detail to use.
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations
    http://milviz.com

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

”Would you buy an usea car from this man?” = Would you buy a flight sim from Microsoft?
    kiki

Yes I would!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations

Intel® Core™ i7-3770k 4.2GHz - Crucial 16GB DDR3 - Dual Radeon HD770 1GB DDR5 (Crossfire) - Eco II Watercooling - Win7 64bit
    Intel® Core™ i7-2600k 3.4GHz - Crucial 8GB DDR3 - NVIDIA EVGA GTX-770 SC 4GB - Win7 64bit

I'm all in. Been virtually flying Microsoft Flight Simulators since the 1980's on my trusty old Apple IIc (I still have that computer. Sadly the floppy disk died some time back in the early 90's. I have a version around here somewhere that I can run on a virtual machine). I'm just gonna sit back and watch people go thru the usual bickering and moaning about how Microsoft this and Microsoft that and just enjoy a chuckle to myself about how completely awesome that first Flight Simulator was in its day. Don't even ask about the frame rates!
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

I'm already feeling quite anxious for its release, even though it hasn't even reached the alpha stage yet, let alone beta. I've watched this video already probably a dozen times: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmoG8jgdQvQ and listening to Froogle discuss his experiences with using the sim last month has me ever more interested and confident that it is going to be a fantastic program (and I'm glad that a bit of information about the specs of the computers that Microsoft are using to run the sim were leaked, as I can begin gauging my next computer purchase). Even from these early glimpses it is visually just so far and above any other flying sim out there, and I don't see any of the other sims heading in a direction that would approach the level it is at already - the very complex lighting and atmospherics, all interconnected/working together, perhaps impresses me the most, but also impressive is the incredible draw distance of the scenery and clouds, the 3d trees and accurate density of trees, the satellite-produced real scenery the world over (in incredibly high resolution in some regions), with proper buildings and trees drawn from that satellite imagery, the authentic look of water, sky and clouds, etc. Other than assuming it will require a subscription to run in online mode, its checking all my boxes (even with a subscription cost, I'm sure many of us will still be saving money by not buying scenery/weather/sky/cloud addons since it won't need those). I'm really looking forward to seeing what the complete list is of the 400 cities that are covered by photogrammetry.

I think the new sim will get a lot of grins when we get the release version. Very much looking forward to it.

Quote Originally Posted by paiken View Post
    I'm all in. Been virtually flying Microsoft Flight Simulators since the 1980's on my trusty old Apple IIc (I still have that computer. Sadly the floppy disk died some time back in the early 90's. I have a version around here somewhere that I can run on a virtual machine). I'm just gonna sit back and watch people go thru the usual bickering and moaning about how Microsoft this and Microsoft that and just enjoy a chuckle to myself about how completely awesome that first Flight Simulator was in its day. Don't even ask about the frame rates!
    I seem to remember, back in those days, frame rates weren't invented yet ??....

My first ever Flight Sim was called 'Night Flight' on a Sinclair 48K Spectrum. Very good naming choice because 'the scenery' consisted of 2 rows of 12 white dots (may have been even 16..) representing the runway, rest was pitch black. A couple rudimentary instruments including ADF to help find the runway. I was in extacy finding it for the first time because i knew diddly squat about aerial navigation. Loved it to death ! I pinch myself everyday to check i'm not dreaming about Microsoft picking up its once beloved Flight Simulator franchise where it was abandoned years ago in such unbelievable gobsmacking way. ( it does seem to be too good to be true, doesn't it...)

Spitfire 40 was my first flight sim. Played on a tape drive Amstrad. Couldn't wait for the tape to stop graunching away and I could see the pea green screen with a flock of tiny dots coming my way. A straight single line for a runway. Hitting the dots gave a surprising amount of satisfaction...

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    I seem to remember, back in those days, frame rates weren't invented yet ??....

My first ever Flight Sim was called 'Night Flight' on a Sinclair 48K Spectrum. Very good naming choice because 'the scenery' consisted of 2 rows of 12 white dots (may have been even 16..) representing the runway, rest was pitch black. A couple rudimentary instruments including ADF to help find the runway. I was in extacy finding it for the first time because i knew diddly squat about aerial navigation. Loved it to death ! I pinch myself everyday to check i'm not dreaming about Microsoft picking up its once beloved Flight Simulator franchise where it was abandoned years ago in such unbelievable gobsmacking way. ( it does seem to be too good to be true, doesn't it...)
    This also was my first sim along with a program I think was called “Air Mail” or something like that. You had to fly three different places to deliver mail. Wire frames, black backround and a frame rate of .02 on my trusty Atari 800.

Quote Originally Posted by Javis View Post
    My first ever Flight Sim was called 'Night Flight' on a Sinclair 48K Spectrum.
    relive your youth, https://www.worldofspectrum.org/info...cgi?id=0003418

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    Thanks, DR ! A wonderful trip down 48K memory lane !!

(someone i met in the pub lent me his Commodore64 including a tape of Sublogic Flight Simulator II. Didn't mean anything to him. I was deeply in love. That was the end of my beloved Spectrum. I bought the, by then, brandnew Atari ST. )

This was my first, came with my 48k

https://www.worldofspectrum.org/info...cgi?id=0001797

This is the one I remember playing most,

https://www.worldofspectrum.org/info...cgi?id=0002183

This was the most impressive,

https://www.worldofspectrum.org/info...cgi?id=0001752

How about getting one of these?
    https://www.specnext.com

I remember giving my 128k+2 fully boxed with mouse, joysticks and hundreds of games away to a friend, what an idiot I was.

PS. for Baz, https://www.worldofspectrum.org/info...cgi?id=0004763

I really feel like a noob!
    My first sim was IL2 Pacific Fighters, purchased primarily as a gesture of support to the developer as I read where some 'Corporate-Bloody-Lawyers' employed by one of the major manufacturers were attempting to sue the devs for using the name of a long obsolete aircraft built by defunct company.
    That lead me to CFS2 - CFS3 - FS2002 and so it continued.
    I never really got that enthused about IL2 but I made a small point.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Rat View Post
    This was my first, came with my 48k ....
    Wow! Actually quite a lot of flightsim stuff for the Spectrum, huh ! I gave up on it because of the lent C64 and my own Atari ST ( bought it because of a Flight Simulator II version for this machine which had much better graphics compared to the C64) Beside 'Nightflite' i remember one game i had for the 48k : Manic Miner. Hilarious and extremely addictive !

And one thing more about Nightflite : hey, future Flight Simulator flyers, put this in your pipe and smoke it :

https://youtu.be/73u95S6fE8Q

Excellent DR thankyou. I love the way they attempted some refraction in the gunsight reticle! Now I wonder if there is a paintkit...

I watched that earlier this morning. I've managed to get my jaw re-attached now so at least I can eat supper!

The icing is truly awesome!
    Bill Leaming
    3d Modeler Max/GMax
    C & XML Gauge Programmer

Military Visualizations

Quote Originally Posted by n4gix View Post
    I watched that earlier this morning. I've managed to get my jaw re-attached now so at least I can eat supper!

The icing is truly awesome!
    The icing on the cake, so to speak. Those guys have done the incredible. Even their "outrageous French accents" (Monty Python reference) don't bother me. Love the video. I was trying to see what plane was being worked on in the background but of course it was just the right amount of out of focus to make it difficult as hell.
    Expect banging, belching and an occasional manly fart as you roar down the runway at full power. (I have found that the engine can make similar noises)

Wow! That's incredible! I think this is where I say "shut up and take my money!". I'll need a new computer, that is certain, so I'm interested in seeing exactly what one will need in order to truly enjoy this new flight sim.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Some amazing development there.

Quote Originally Posted by paiken View Post
    Even their "outrageous French accents" (Monty Python reference) don't bother me.

I've always dreamed of flying through a Cat 5 hurricane force winds in a P-3A Orion at 13fps! Now there's a bucket list accomplishment! lol

Members +
    Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    Wow! That's incredible! I think this is where I say "shut up and take my money!". I'll need a new computer, that is certain, so I'm interested in seeing exactly what one will need in order to truly enjoy this new flight sim.
    I think that a new operating system comes first.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Interesting thus far that it's all about scenery and weather but SFA about actually 'flying'........
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Members who have read this thread: 0