Milviz F-86-30 Sabre canopy color

Thread: Milviz F-86-30 Sabre canopy color

Milviz F-86-30 Sabre canopy color

My Milviz Sabre has a distinct blue canopy color, I can't find any photos to support this (avoid any with a blue sky background). Has anyone tried to change it to a clear? Comments would be appreciated.

Bill

I think it's an issue with prepa3d. I have this effect also with my JF Tornado or A2A Spitfire.

It's an issue with P3Dv4 and happens with most glass textures brought over from FSX. And is very annoying...!

The only cure I have found is to use MCX to convert the glass texture to PBR. Better results altogether.

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by DaveQ View Post
    It's an issue with P3Dv4 and happens with most glass textures brought over from FSX. And is very annoying...!

The only cure I have found is to use MCX to convert the glass texture to PBR. Better results altogether.

DaveQ
    It has to do with dynamic reflections. The color of the sky is reflected on the canopy glass. Turning off dynamic reflections will also cure this.

As Dave mentions PBR materials are much better at this. As more models will use them this will slowly start to disappear.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    It has to do with dynamic reflections. The color of the sky is reflected on the canopy glass. Turning off dynamic reflections will also cure this.

As Dave mentions PBR materials are much better at this. As more models will use them this will slowly start to disappear.
    Mine is still blue irrespective of HDR being on or off. However, assigning PBR and tinkering with the glass texture and spec removes it. But sadly the latest iteration (v4, June 2017) won't save with MCX so I'm going to convert v1 externals at least. Mysteriously, the latest version of the F-100D will save with MCX and eventually I'll do that as well. All just for fun of course....

DaveQ
    'Always do sober what you say you'll do when you're drunk. It'll teach you to keep you mouth shut' - Ernest Hemingway

Dave, I mentioned dynamic reflections, not HDR. Dialing the slider down to zero will use the envmap for reflection and not the actual sky.

If you keep dynamic reflections on and try during dawn or dusk you will see that the canopy will be purplish instead of blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimus View Post
    Dave, I mentioned dynamic reflections, not HDR. Dialing the slider down to zero will use the envmap for reflection and not the actual sky.

If you keep dynamic reflections on and try during dawn or dusk you will see that the canopy will be purplish instead of blue.
    Gotcha - of course, my mistake!

DaveQ

Members who have read this thread: 2