FR B-24J Liberator First Paint Scheme

Thread: FR B-24J Liberator First Paint Scheme

FR B-24J Liberator First Paint Scheme

The external model of the J version is just about complete, and so finally has a first paint scheme. This is of 44-40120, which flew with the 492nd Bomb Group of the 859th Bomb Squadron, where it completed its first 25 missions (shown here), and which was then transferred to the 467th BG of the 788th BS to complete 83 missions in total before returning to the USA.

A feature of the B-24J-130 through J-150-CO was the bullet proof windscreen. Some also had bullet proof cockpit side windows, but 40120 did not.

Once a couple of small things are taken care of, the next step is making the VC. When both external and VC models are complete, then the other B-24 versions will be done.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 48765775897_1c517786c6_k.jpg  

Really impressive! I'm looking forward for this bomber, thank you FR!
    Look at this history about the B24 Lady Irene...
    I live 30 km far away from those mountain :
    https://forum.valbrembanaweb.com/cul...-t4368-18.html
    No pictures of this B24 on the web... at least after my search
    The more you do, the less you dream

Amazing! Cant wait for this bird, !
    Webmaster of yoyosims.pl.

Win 10 64, i9 13900 KF, RTX 4090 24Gb, RAM64Gb, SSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5 [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

Absolutely fantastic Mike, your work is terrific. Really appreciate the preview. Looking forward to any news you may have as this project progresses.
    Regards, Tom Stovall KRDD

Damned fine work there! Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Spectacular!!! Beautiful Airplane

Abso-Bloody-lootly Fantastic!!!

Quote Originally Posted by MustangL2W View Post
    Same as all the comments above!!

Anxious to see the First re-paint of the "D" Model!

Quote Originally Posted by Catboat View Post
    Same as all the comments above!!
    Ditto and beyond....

Quote Originally Posted by MustangL2W View Post
    Totally agree - nice looking paint too!
    "It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses". - Elwood
    Learn more about the mission of the Collings Foundation here - www.collingsfoundation.org
    Collings Foundation Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/collings.foundation

Very nice!
    I'm looking forward to this one
    You can find most of my repaints for FSX/P3D in the library here on the outhouse.
    For MFS paints go to flightsim.to

Thanks, everyone!

Here's a couple of WIP screenshots of another scheme, this version featuring the armoured cockpit side windows (as well as the armoured windscreen).

Blog Entries

Great job!!!

One minor thing... I think the outboard engine cooling flaps on the right side never got painted.... on the natural metal finish
    easy enough to correct....

Keep up the good work,

G.

Virtual Cockpit

How accurate and extensive do you plan on doing the VC? Full checklist (as much as FSX/P3D allows)? I have been very disappointed that A2A quit after their B17G Accusim and Aeroplane Heaven didn't pick this one up either. Looking forward to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by gaucho_59 View Post

One minor thing... I think the outboard engine cooling flaps on the right side never got painted.... on the natural metal finish
    easy enough to correct....

Keep up the good work,

G.
    I assume (yeah, I know) that #1 replicates a replacement engine assembly probably taken from a salvaged O.D. aircraft. The typical B-24 engine assembly had the forward cowl ring and the cowl flaps attached as part of the assembly. These type replacements were not unusual, saved time, and painting was a low priority for quick maintenance trun around. I think it adds character to the model and looks great!

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Quote Originally Posted by tgycgijoes View Post
    How accurate and extensive do you plan on doing the VC? Full checklist (as much as FSX/P3D allows)? I have been very disappointed that A2A quit after their B17G Accusim and Aeroplane Heaven didn't pick this one up either. Looking forward to yours.
    I'll have to have a closer look at the checklist when the time comes, but I believe you should have everything to do that the pilot had to do once seated (and some of the co-pilot things, too).

Members +
    Used to live in Oregon, but have sort of oozed down to Georgia.
    Time frame for release? My wife is gonna kill me for this one....December or February would maybe save my life...lol

Quote Originally Posted by boondog View Post
    Time frame for release? My wife is gonna kill me for this one....December or February would maybe save my life...lol
    With the entire VC to do, I'd say your life will be spared.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_cyul View Post
    The external model of the J version is just about complete, and so finally has a first paint scheme. This is of 44-40120, which flew with the 492nd Bomb Group of the 859th Bomb Squadron, where it completed its first 25 missions (shown here), and which was then transferred to the 467th BG of the 788th BS to complete 83 missions in total before returning to the USA. A feature of the B-24J-130 through J-150-CO was the bullet proof windscreen. Some also had bullet proof cockpit side windows, but 40120 did not. Once a couple of small things are taken care of, the next step is making the VC. When both external and VC models are complete, then the other B-24 versions will be done.
    My great uncle flew about 22 missions in this plane, X7 crew.

Members who have read this thread: 0