Missing Objects

Thread: Missing Objects

Missing Objects

I've just started to get error messages for missing object. I've made a list of the 105 objects "not found" in the library and checked them against entries in OBJECTS_DP and the BGLs in scene_db/inf/scenery. They're all present in both folders. I've used the CDP cleaner and removed the filelist from the inf scenery folder, but that didn't fix the problem. I did notice lots of object names beginning with a capital letter, whereas the messages name all objects in lower case.

Is cfs2 case sensitive?

I've never had this problem before. The sim was working without a hitch yesterday.

Any ideas?

Never seen cfs2 be case sensitive.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Never seen cfs2 be case sensitive.
    That's what I thought. I've never had this problem before. The files are all there but the sim says it doesn't have them. It does, however recognise other objects.

How many objects do you have in your ObjectsDP folder. If you have too many, that might be the problem.
    "De Oppresso Liber"

I found I get this issue. What worked for me was right clicking on the Scenedb and objects_dp folders, enter properties, then security and ensure you have appropriate permissions. I did this to the CFS2 main directory initially but it doesnt seem to automatically work on all folders contained within.

Even though I am the sole user and administrator of this PC, It doesnt seem to recognise that although I have no problem using things like 'run as admin'

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ewrwer.jpg  

Thanks Shadow, I did check my object entries about 2 weeks ago and am probably somewhere near the limit. When I installed all of Robert's rail objects I got an error message telling me I might have to reinstall the sim. I was able to proceed after reducing the number of rail objects. What troubles me about the current problem is that the missing objects are there, the sim starts after I click through all the missing object messages and there isn't any increase in objects compared to last week. Thanks for the reminder; I'll do a new object check. I haven't tried the Mission Builder yet but I wouldn't be surprised if that gives me error messages too.
    Ian, thanks. That's a very interesting idea. I will check it out now.
    I am hoping that the problem does not reside in my Flanders GSL files. When I click through and fly over the scenery some objects are evidently missing, but objects right alongside them remain.
    I will check the above. This is the downside of CFS2 compulsion.

To the question of too many Objects.dp. How do you determine which ones you can eliminate without messing up the particular install if you think you have too many. I remember something somewhere about eliminating CFS 1 objects. ???

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    One way to get an idea which ones are safe to remove is by deleting all objects.dps that have no accompanying cdp file. Don't actually delete them just put them into some sort of "On-Hold" folder inside the OBJECTS_DP folder. Of course if you have recently deleted all of your cdp files this would be a non starter.

If you happen to have a recent back-up of your CFS2 install. You might go into that backed up OBJECTS_DP folder and see if the cdp files are there. If they are you can copy them over to your active install and proceed.

Another way to proceed is by theater. If you do most of your flying in Europe then there is very little need for, say, all of the Lindsay Watt palm tree objects and so forth.

Also, I would not be at all surprised if the object dp entries are case sensitive.

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    One way to get an idea which ones are safe to remove is by deleting all objects.dps that have no accompanying cdp file. Don't actually delete them just put them into some sort of "On-Hold" folder inside the OBJECTS_DP folder.

Also, I would not be at all surprised if the object dp entries are case sensitive.

MR
    Thanks MR. I checked for case sensitivity by looking into the Layout file used to generate the gsl for the area. The object names there match the names in my Objects_DP folder. Like you I suspected cfs2 to be case sensitive, but I haven't tested that yet.
    For objects without CDPs....too late. I already put the cleaners through! I've just been going through the Objects_DP folder and removing a bunch of DPs that aren't called for in this install.

I just tried Ian Astill's but ticking Full Control in Properties makes no difference to my problem.
    I feel like I've wandered off the rock shelf and am now in deep water.

One possibility eliminated after some tweaking. I copied a few of the DPs for objects which cfs2 was posting a "missing" message. I then saved them in a temp folder and changed their names, with the only change being to replace upper case letters with lower case letters. I moved each of the copies, one at a time, back into the Objects_DP folder. In each case I got a message asking me whether I wanted to replace the existing file. So, cfs2 doesn't distinguish between upper and lower case letters.
    I was a bit doubtful about my conclusion. Then I tried another flight over Flanders and after getting the same "missing" messages I exited and had another look at the Objects folder. This time each of the objects had a CDP above it, and each of the CDPs was in lower case regardless of the DP lettering. I was surprised to see CDPs for objects cfs2 didn't recognise.
    I seem to have crossed over into Rod Serling territory.

Members who have read this thread: 0