Warning Win10 ver 1903

Thread: Warning Win10 ver 1903

SOH-CM-2020

Warning Win10 ver 1903

I was on Win10 ver 1709 which worked fine. I was continually being interrupted whilst MS tried to install Win10 ver 1803. This went on for over 8 months. Never successfully installed. I got tired of continually being booted off the computer whilst yet another failed 3Gb install was attempted. Blast MS for making updates compulsory and virtually no control over them.

So I followed a "how to" and installed the latest version of Win 10 - version 1903. My warning - don't do it!!

It keeps turning off my wifi adapter every 5 minutes. They have not found a decent fix for over 4 months, this is apparently a well known problem with this version. But by far the worst thing is that NONE of my CFS3 installs will open - they just shut down two seconds after I double click on the cfs3.exe. Oddly enough, WOTR will boot up, with its funny boot arrangement where the manager opens and cfs3.exe is started well into the process.

So luckily I found advice that there is a "recover last version" option available for 10 days after an update. So I am back to V1709, with all my installs running happily. BOOO HISSS Microsoft.

Members +
    Sorry to hear that you have had issues.
    You must be amongst the unlucky few.
    I kep my laptop updated, and never have I had any issues with Windows 10. I'm not running CFS3, but the principle remains the same.. My 7 installs of FS2004 have always run perfectly.
    Maybe it's just a bad install of yours, there are many simmers that have no issues at all.
    Hope you get sorted out.
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

I made it as far as 1803 on my computer, but everything after failed during the update, and after repeated loops through the install fail cycle, my hard drives get so corrupted that the previous OS gets wiped out and it won't boot. I've had to reinstall 1803 from scratch twice in the past year just to get things running again. Then it's reinstall all my key applications, and of course my 15 custom installs of CFS3 need to be painstakingly rebuilt each time.

The most recent time it tried to force things on me I just barely avoided the disaster again by using wushowhide from the MS website to hide the 1903 update before it started the reboot to install. I also have to remember to regularly check that my Internet connection is still listed as metered to prevent WU from trying to download and install again next month.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Your mileage may vary

Sorry to hear about this, guys. I checked my CFS3 (and FSX) since I'm on the latest Win10 Pro 1903 and things are still running. I dunno...
    Last edited by hairyspin; September 8th, 2019 at 13:37.
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    That is why on my "new" gaming rig it will run on Win7 64 bit. As long as my antivirus works with it i'm good. Use Chrome OS to search the web though.

I'm pretty sure my problem is having a motherboard (Strix Z270H Gaming) that's not acceptable to the versions of Win 10 after 1803. I even tried calling the MS help desk two times ago, and let them take remote control of my computer. They eventually gave up and told me told me how to temporarily block the OS updates on Win 10 Home Edition.

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...nstalling.html

The instructions for using https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930 are about 3/4 of the way down Computer World's hints and tips page. As I mentioned before, I have to keep an eye on my Internet connection to make sure it stays listed as "Metered" to head off the unannounced midnight download and install attempts. If I can catch these forced updates early I can
    use Microsoft's Wushowhide tool before they can do any damage.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

SOH-CM-2020
    I think the base original OS is the clue to how things go with updates. As you say Majormagee, Win 10 Home has some upgrade problems.

My computer for general use has updated to ver 1903 no problems. It started life with Win 10 Pro. I don't have the wireless network adapter being shut down every 5 minutes (very annoying when you are searching the internet on how to fix the problem!).

My gaming rig started life with the basic Win 10 Home Edition. I never got past v1709 successfully until I pushed the matter. When I look online there are a lot of people who have difficulties with v 1903.

On my gaming rig, I have deleted all the boot files in the win ~BT folder which stores stuff for the next update. I hope it stuffs up Windows Update for a while.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Should i get Win10 with my "new" computer or stay with Win7 ? As i see some are not having problems...

SOH-CM-2020
    My guess? FWIW, a clean fresh install of Win 10 should be fine....

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Should i get Win10 with my "new" computer or stay with Win7 ? As i see some are not having problems...
    Get win 10 , none of my sims have problem.

SOH-CM-2020

Update woes

Oh, thank you, omniscient and patronising Microsnot, for arranging things so I have no control over my own computer, which I paid good money for!! Hijacking my computer with no consent with failed update attempts has reached a crescendo. Every time I goddamn go online MS forces the corrupt and faulty "update" to attempt to install again . Somehow in the last "restore to previous version" process, something has been stuffed up so none of my nine installs are running .

Except WOTR, presumably because cfs3.exe only runs at a relatively late stage in the WOTR manager.

Last time (refer first post of this thread) IIRC one thing that would allow CFS3.exe to work was to remove Ankor's shaders. That got me onto the NVidia drivers, and ultimately the solution was to roll back the driver to an earlier version, and to uninstall GeForce Experience. Then I was able to reinstall Ankor's shaders, thank goodness.

This time, attempts to date have failed to get CFS3 running. However, I have yet to try an older video driver - the newest NVidia driver does not help. In fact, one of my installs (MAW) has different error messaging and provides a message about the video driver being incompatible or something...It would be interesting to learn which dll is different in the MAW version, allowing for better error messaging . . .

SOH-CM-2020

video drivers

I think the answer to my problems is to run a slightly older (August 2019) version of NVidia's drivers for my GTX770 vid card. Now I can go back and reinstall Ankor's shaders, I hope. Will try incorporating James's texture magic list into the 2019 version of Ankor's Shaders

Members who have read this thread: 0