Graphics card for CFS3 ?

Thread: Graphics card for CFS3 ?

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries

Graphics card for CFS3 ?

Looking at getting a new computer for CFS3 and wanted to know how well does a AMD graphics card work with CFS3 ? Wanting to use Ankor's latest shader package. Also want to get back into WOFF. Found a deal on a pc with AMD processor and graphics card ,(really good ones and fast to boot),and would like to know if somebody uses the same kind of set up. Cheers,Scott

I have heard that some AMD cards don't work well with CFS3, but that the newer ones are fine. Nvidia seems to always be a safe bet. Sorry I can't be more specific about AMD, but I'm sure others here can provide better info.

AMD processors are fine.

Unfortunately I don't know much about AMD graphics cards.
    However there are people who play WOFF/WOTR on AMD cards and while I recall there were a few issues, I don't think there are any show-stoppers.

Can you tell what processor and card models are you looking into?

Blog Entries
    It has a Ryzen 7 4.1 GHz CPU and a Radeon RX580 4GB GDDR5 graphics card. 16 GB RAM. Dell Inspiron Gaming Computer.

SOH-CM-2020
    There used to be a problem with AMD graphics cards not being able to render the specular texture sheets used for CFS3 aircraft. (those ending in _s.dds). However, I would imagine in the era of Ankors shaders, that issue might be overcome?

Blog Entries
    I think i'll stick with Intel and Nvidia and be safe. They are a little more but probably worth it.

Those Ryzen processors are very capable. They have worse single-core performance than Intel ones and it is kind of important for games, but I don't think the difference is too big. Any modern processor is good for most games.

I still use slightly overclocked (about 10%) first-gen i7 860 I bought 10 years(!) ago. I don't play games much but the only modern game its been struggling with is Assassin's Creed: Odyssey which is known to be very CPU and GPU intensive. And by struggling I mean that I had to play on Medium-High settings at 30 FPS rather than 60

As for RX580.
    I think the hardware is ok, but AMD is known for bad drivers. It was like this even when they were called ATI.
    And one would think it should have changed since then, but looks like they don't learn:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comment...x_9_support_a/

I think a good choice could be Ryzen CPU + NVidia GPU, but it may be more difficult to find in pre-built PCs.

Amd G Card

Morning all,i have a AMD Radeon R 9200 and all`s well good frame rates,the driver is Version 15.200.1062.1004. if anyone has a later driver please let me know.

alcanallen.
    Last edited by alcanallen; September 7th, 2019 at 22:37. Reason: spelling

Blog Entries
    Found a factory recertified gaming computer at good savings. Looks like i'll be in business soon ! Love HP!Specs look good enough to play at full settings with ankor's shaders. Excited ! Link for specs. https://computerdealsdirect.com/hp-o...-gtx-1070-8gb/ Does anyone know if this is a good deal ?

Quote Originally Posted by sixstrings5859 View Post
    Found a factory recertified gaming computer at good savings. Looks like i'll be in business soon ! Love HP!Specs look good enough to play at full settings with ankor's shaders. Excited ! Link for specs. https://computerdealsdirect.com/hp-o...-gtx-1070-8gb/ Does anyone know if this is a good deal ?
    Build you a very good computer whit Gigabyte x470 aorus motherboard , Ryzen 5 3600 processor , ddr4 corsair veagance 32gb 3200mhz RAM , a samsung m2 ssd 500 evo for OS installed only , a SSD 1 Tb crucial MX500 hd for storage and a videocard geforce 1060 6Gb Gddr5 RAM . This is a good assembled computer and not very expensive.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the advice. Will look into that. Building my own looks like the better option. Regards,Scott

Hi Scott,ive had various PC,s for years,had a lot of AMD CPUS and GPU,S in the past and loved them all..I went for my 1st Intel CPU a few yrs ago (i5) and went for my 1st Nvidia card a couple of yrs ago.
    i upgraded to a I7 4790k and a EVGA 1070 and WOW..me personally id never go back to AMD,not for one second am i saying there bad no way i had many,many yrs of great gaming but im definitely a intel/Nvidia guy from now on.

If you know of a good PC building shop/company you might be able to save a few quid..and you can get it built to your exact specs. If you know someone who can build you can save even more money.
    Best of luck pal in your PC hunting.

Members who have read this thread: 0