Another snafu

Thread: Another snafu

Another snafu

I'm trying to get Stewart Green's Sopwith "cuckoo" to show up on an install with no errors. I have everything I need in place, except for this wonderful plane. I have it installed on 2 other installs of cfs2 with no problems. those installs are basically one for testing and another before I put anything in my precious main install. When I try it out in the main install I get errors, I'm guessing from the torpedo. Your basic messages (can't find the weapon) where you can click them away and fly the plane to more severe, where you cannot continue. With the messages you can play through, I can see the torpedo and drop it.

In the testing installs everything works and I have the weapon installed as instructed. In the main install, problem starts in the scenedb area. I can put the entries in the scenery file and I will be able to fly with the free flight messages. When the other file is put into the texture area, I get the database message and cannot continue, just get the message over and over again.

I really want this because of the torpedo. I know there are a couple of others, but I think this is the nicest. I believe mission builder is not going to put up with these errors. The dang thing works great everywhere except where I really need it!

Any ideas? The hurricane is almost upon us, it's time to stay off the computers.

Cheers all .... Rick

Rick,

Have you deleted the CDP from the Cuckoo? If you have and you are still gettng error messages, what do the messages say?

To see whether there is a problem with the torpedo try adding it to the loadout for another torpedo bomber.
    Probably a dumb question but have you checked that all the files for the torpedo are loaded in your main install?

Hope that you are in a safe place.

One more thing you may want to try is deleting the filelist.dat file in the SceneDb folder.

Combat Flight Simulator 2\SCENEDB\weapons\scenery\filelist.dat

Edit; Put these files in your mainCombat Flight Simulator 2 folder. Double click each, one at a time. They will clean out any corrupted files.
    I just tested them in Win 10 and these worked with no problems. They were made by Lindsay some years back and are a very useful tool.
    Attached Files Attached Files

I use the cleaner files all the time.

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22

Here is one more that will remove the *_INDEX files from the sim- just in case you want to perform a full-tilt purging on the old girl!

Cheers,
    MR
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Hi folks! I got power back about an hour ago. It really sucks when you got no water, power, or toys to play with. I'm dead tired now, been cutting downed trees, all the fun stuff! I have NEVER been more scared in my life. I have never seen water rise so fast (and recede). Forgive me for saying this, but a Higher Power must have heard my prayers. trees missed my house by inches, not feet, inches! A tree moved a piece of siding on my shed. All I have to do is shift it a little put a little nail in it and it's fixed. My house was shaking, I'm stilling praying that everything is ok. I can walk about 10 minutes up the street and it looks like nothing happened. I guess I can say i was lucky enough to see the eye. Not a leaf was moving, I could see the moon and blue sky. About 20 hawks flew by, never saw a "flock" of hawks before. Then the wind came back from the north. The second half was not so bad. After it was over, I wondered how anyone or anything could survive that beast when it was a 5. I have to take care of my place first, but I will always try to help others, even if it's only 20 bucks.

Thanks for all the info folks. I'm going to check it out tomorrow. I may have missed something. There's just no reason for it not to work with no problems.

Cheers All .... Rick

Morning All

I will try to be clear, my computer lingo has never been good. Every time I installed the plane, I deleted all the filelist, cdp and index files. Is this what the cleaners you fellas mentioned do? I installed the ones Dave mentioned and saw a click flash of a black box and that was about it. I tried installing the plane again today. Instead of flying it, I tried a couple of stock aircraft first. Every plane gives the messages that I have errors, but I can still fly, even the Cuckoo. The torpedo works. If I remove the Cuckoo there are no error messages. I have only had time to briefly use the mission builder.

I found out that if I want to use WW1 aircraft in the PTO, I am going to run out of fuel before I reach my target. I have installed the great Maskrider's latest DEI because there looks to be less distance between many of the airfields. I have not tried this yet. I am hoping to use early "carriers" such as Collin's HMS Furious. I would also like to be able to attack airfields and such from land bases. Perhaps this will require some additional refueling bases. Anyway, I know it's a lot of trouble for a what if kind if thing, but many years ago i did have some thing like this working. I may have been using the "unlimited fuel" option? I would like to avoid that if possible.

My main concern is that mission builder is not going to like the error messages. I tried an aircraft that had error messages a couple of weeks ago and mission builder shut down and I was back to the desk top. I have run out of ideas. It works without error messages in other installs of cfs2 I have.

Thanks for all your help! I'm just not understanding why some of the aircraft (sop-trip, Gotha bombers, and a few others are giving me so much trouble. ... and of course the dang Cuckoo!

Cheers and thanks again .... Rick

Hiya Rickyo,

When you say "I installed the ones Dave mentioned and saw a click flash of a black box and that was about it. I tried installing the plane again today" are you talking about installing the cleaners Dave mentioned or installing a plane? Those black boxes opening and closing are normal when you double click one of those cleaner batch files. Shouldn't see them when installing a plane unless perhaps the plane a self-installer.

BTW, you should not need to run those cleaners each and every time you install a plane. CFS2 isn't that sensitive. ;^)

From what you are saying, its sounds like you get error message with many if not all of your planes when the Cuckoo is installed and when you get rid of the Cuckoo the error messages go away. Is that correct?

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Panel Issue?

Hey Rick, what Windows operating system are you using? For instance, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10.

Hi Chris;

Thanks for your time. I'm a bit of a wreck right now, I'm supposed to be looking for a tree cutting service, but I don't like to ignore people, when they are nice enough to help me out.

Dang it! I'm sorry Chris. My fingers will not obey me at this time. I'll get back to ya!

Thanks to you and all who spent time offering help. It's nice to know people are kind enough to care.

Cheers .... Rick

Hiya Rick,

Wow, its sounds like you really have your hands full. Too bad CFS2 isn't providing you with the nice worry-free break you need from real world problems, eh?

That's a shame.

I have never had to worry about hurricanes or flooding. Around here wild-fires are the disasters du jour.

Good luck getting everything pulled back together.

Chris

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Morning all!!!

Mother of Mercy, it's working! The problem was an entry in the AIRCRAFT File folder named "AF_Arty_Shell". It's an item that is included with one of Pennwin32's packages. I believe it's an item that I mistakenly installed while collecting stuff for Chris's greatest, latest, DEI masterpiece. I noticed the object was not in other installs I was using for testing where the Cuckoo was working fine. I KNEW there was nothing wrong with the plane and didn't want to believe anything was wrong with the install I wanted to use it in. Well, that's one less thing I will have nagging away at me!

There are a couple of other items that are causing me problems that may be related to this. Lindsay's created these WW1 figures to place around airfields, and I haven't been able to install them without really bad errors. Maybe there's a chance some other WW1 aircraft, that are causing me problems are also affected by the arty shell. I can live without those and will check them out at a less stressful time.

You know, Chris, I love Mother Nature, but she can be a real B when she wants to be! This climate change thing has got to be our most serious problem. The last couple of years it's been extremely hot up here in the summer. The water is a lot warmer now. Hurricanes used to weaken when they hit the colder water. I also have a fear of forest fires. I feel real pain for all who have to worry about loosing all they have worked for.

Thanks one and all who helped with this! Now I can deal with the real world without this being in the back of my head. Such a minor stupid thing to be worrying me at this time, but I just couldn't stop thinking about it.

Cheers All .... Rick

Hi Rick,
    I have never had a problem with the "AF_Arty_Shell". You might have another problem.
    To many DP's maybe.
    Thought you might like to know.

Regards,
    B24Guy

Quote Originally Posted by The B24 Guy View Post
    Hi Rick,
    I have never had a problem with the "AF_Arty_Shell". You might have another problem.
    To many DP's maybe.
    Thought you might like to know.

Regards,
    B24Guy
    I'd agree with B24Guy. Try reinstalling Pen's Arty Shell and see whether you still get an error message.

Hi Folks.

After jumping for joy when the Cuckoo showed up without errors, I DID notice the arty WAS installed in the test cfs2 install. The Cuckoo was working fine with the arty there. Weird? I will give it another try later on. I plan to have nothing else on this particular install, "WW1 DEI". There are no problems in mission builder, so I don't think not having the arty is a problem.

It's been a long time since I used the sim. I never thought I'd use it again, but I kept about 50 discs of stuff I collected. I may have a few more somewhere, I have no WW1 stuff or 2 skins one of the greats did for me. I must have put them in a special place where I would never loose them. Man, that must be a real good hiding place. I've got a lot of useful info people gave me, tutorials, how to put tail hooks on planes, lots of useful stuff.

I really enjoy all the campaigns that have been made for the PTO and will be installing them over time. I like to (and hate!) mess around in mission builder.

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how things go with arty.

Cheers .... Rick

Well, it was all a stupid mistake. I was counting aircraft in the aircraft file and not in Quick Combat. The Cuckoo must have been the one that put it over the limit. I guess when I took out the Arty, it made room for the Cuckoo to show up without errors. So, I made my own hangers to store aircraft, The only problem plane is SG's Snipe. It has a "182" sound that I'm having a problem with, but I'm still trying to find something that will work. Other than that, Every WW1 aircraft is working great, and I believe I downloaded all of them!

Almost forgot. I do have a problem with wakes on sea planes and flying boats. Felix, Fairy Camp, Schnieder, and Short Type 184. Really beautiful planes! I can sea the entries under [lights] in the files. The Felix did not have this folder, I added one, but still no luck. What am I missing here?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers .... Rick

Members who have read this thread: 0