AH F3F-2 add-on textures by Caz Dalton

Thread: AH F3F-2 add-on textures by Caz Dalton

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

AH F3F-2 add-on textures by Caz Dalton

I have been struggling for most of yesterday and just a tiny bit of this morning in trying to get the six add-on textures for the Aeroplane Heaven F3F-2 contained in Caz Dalton's package to work. "Straight out of the box," in accordance with the instructions in the download, they don't work; changing the individual texture file names within each folder from "AH . . . ." to "A_H . . . . " to match the titles of the texture files from the existing product doesn't work; modifying the config file entries doesn't work; changing them to .dds format doesn't work. The download does offer six additional textures for the Aeroplane Heaven product, if you count the Gulfhawk that can already be obtained as a separate product. Everything I've installed, even after running it through dxt.bmp to try to get the add-on textures to match the originals, results in an aircraft whose exterior textures are jet black overall.

I may be misreading what is in the "readme" file. It's not clear if these are files that allow the original FS2002 aircraft to appear better in FSX; or if they are changes that will allow the existing made-for-FSX aircraft to appear better than it already does in FSX. Can someone clarify this for me, please?

It's a shame to lose five of the add-on textures if this won't work, but sometimes you can't have the cake and eat it , too.

UnWanted extra space

There is an unwanted extra space between the word texture and the dot # (texture .1). Remove the extra space on each file. That should fix your texture files.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Will give it a whirl.

EDIT: Sorry to report that is not the issue. Eliminated the space but still have a completely black aircraft with the exception of the canopy, and the lights.
    Last edited by SSI01; September 6th, 2019 at 14:59.

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    Will give it a whirl.

EDIT: Sorry to report that is not the issue. Eliminated the space but still have a completely black aircraft with the exception of the canopy, and the lights.
    Did you reload the sim? with textures it some time caches the data in memory.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Caz's textures are replacement textures

You should have a functioning AH FS2002 Model file in place. Caz's textures are copied, pasted and over written in the FS2002 model to make it function nicely in FSX. The addon files require the original texture file to be copied, pasted and NOT overwritten over the new addon texture files. Then backup the cfg file and copy and paste Caz's cfg file in the aircraft folder and reboot the sim. The result should be a very nice looking FSX aircaft.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Based on your reply I think I can salvage this. In checking one of my FS9 installs, I've noted an F3F-2 folder that has a model file dated 11/14/2002 that reads "F3F2_FS.mdl," along with a model.cfg file dated 10/22/2002 that, when opened, reads "[models] normal=F3F2_FS."

Now, if I'm understanding this correctly, I need to move the 2002 model file over into the FSX AH F3F-2 installation (I can put the FSX "model" file in a temp folder somewhere in the aircraft base file), then use the "texture" file out of the FS9 installation as the one to be to be copied and pasted into the new "texture.8" folder in the FSX aircraft file. As you noted I then change the aircraft .cfg file. Is this correct?

Also - question. The FSX version has a model named "nobomb," making the aircraft clean, no bombs or gun camera on upper wing. Should I eliminate all "nobomb" aircraft cfg entries for any of Caz's aircraft? Based on the FS9 aircraft folder with the 2002 model file in it, there is only one model available for that version of the aircraft, therefore, there will probably be only one model available for use for these additional aircraft in FSX. Does that make sense?

Caz's replacement textures are designed for mdl dated 2002. They are designed to make the FS2002 model look great in FSX. The AH mdls dated 2015 use a different sets of texture files. Mdl no bomb is for AH textures along with the mdl dated 2015 is for FSX only. Keep the AH FS2002 folder completely separate with a single mdl dated 2002. It appears that you are combining two separate model types.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Just moved the complete FS2002 AH F3F-2 file in question into FSX and installed everything as directed to. Have not cranked up the FSX after that due to some RW evolutions around the house but tomorrow afternoon I'll plug it in and see what happens.

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Everything transferred over as intended, and we now have several more F3F textures to enjoy in the sim. The original panel has to be used with these textures and model, however, I think I can replace the inop. ASI and maybe even change a few other non-operative gauges like the instrument panel clock. Not bad.

Members who have read this thread: 0