Merlin2 Aussie Mk8/9 Beaufort variants/repaints by UncleTgt!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Merlin2 Aussie Mk8/9 Beaufort variants/repaints by UncleTgt!

Icon22 Merlin2 Aussie Mk8/9 Beaufort variants/repaints by UncleTgt!

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Skins - British

Description: Bristol Beaufort Mk1 BoF Repaint by UncleTgt

This is a repaint for the Bristol Beaufort Mk1 made by Merlin2 for CFS 2, made specifically for Rami's Battle of France package. Separate dp files have been created to depict the early war payloads more authentically, one for the -b bomber version (bomb bay doors), & a separate one for the -t torpedo model (no bomb bay doors).

The texture offered is: L4450 OA - F of 22 squadron RAF, circa May 1940. This aircraft lost 25/26th May 1940

25-26/05/1940: Gardening (mine laying)

Type: Bristol Beaufort I
    Serial number: L4450, OA-F
    Operation: Gardening
    Lost: 26/05/1940
    Wing Commander Harry M. Mellor, RAF 16097, 22 Sqdn., age 37, 26/05/1940, missing
    Flying Officer Frederick R. Jamieson, RAF 37855, 22 Sqdn., age 27, 26/05/1940, missing
    Leading Aircraftman Alan D. MacKenzie, RAF 623407, 22 Sqdn., age 24, 26/05/1940, missing
    Pilot Officer Horace J. Cook, RAFVR, 22 Sqdn., age 22, 26/05/1940, missing
    Took off 25/05/1940 23.00 hrs from North Coates. Lost without trace into the North Sea, off Heligoland, Germany. The crew are commemorated on the Runnymede Memorial.

In 1934, No. 22 Squadron was reformed as a torpedo unit at Donibristle with Vickers Vildebeests. At the start of World War II, the Vildebeests flew anti-submarine patrols over the North Sea until replaced by Bristol Beauforts. 22 Squadron brought the Beaufort into operational service; receiving the first aircraft in November 1939 and, after an intense work up at North Coates in Lincolnshire, the Squadron resumed operations in April 1940, beginning with mine-laying sorties.

The Bristol Beaufort was the only monoplane produced for the Royal Air Force that was designed from the start to satisfy the dual role of general reconnaissance and torpedo bomber.

The first aircraft flew its first operation on 15/16 April 1940, but for much of May 22 squadron was grounded whilst problems with the new Taurus engines were fixed.

To use the provided .dp files that depict more historically authentic weapons and payloads, the following weapons packs are required...

Baldy Mk VII depth charge: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=17&id=6687

Shessi 250lb depth charge: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...id=17&id=22592

Hudson weapons package: https://www.virtualwings.org/downloa...apons_v099.zip

Beaufighter weapons: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=50&id=6860 (You don't need the aircraft, just the weapons)

FDG weapons: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=17&id=5273

Groundcrew British weapons: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...tid=17&id=4398

To install, unzip the download to a temporary location & move/ copy files to the matching folder names inside your chosen CFS 2 install.

Thanks to: Merlin2 for the original multi-LOD Beaufort.

Kelticheart for his prop bitmaps & exhaust effects.

This is freeware and subject to the usual conditions

UncleTgt,

SEP 2019

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit M2_Beaufort1_22RAF_MAY40_UT.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Now THAT is the best looking repaint for Merlin's lovely Beaufort I have ever seen.

Some time it would be interesting to see the Mk.8 from the same stable dressed up in UncleTgt warpaint.
    Last edited by Ravenna; September 5th, 2019 at 23:26.

Mike

You sell yourself short . but now I have a template, maybe I'll get to the DAP Beauforts ... and maybe no-one will notice when I do ...

Hi UncleTgt
    Nice work again.
    Looked a bit fresh up your way, well at Manchester anyway.
    Cheers
    Stuart

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    Mike

You sell yourself short . but now I have a template, maybe I'll get to the DAP Beauforts ... and maybe no-one will notice when I do ...
    Thanks John, but I do recognize the subtle use of layers and the painstaking detail in your work. As for nobody noticing,anyone who knows what they're looking at can't help but be impressed with your work. There are enough around here who know superior work and what it takes to produce it. Some even take the time to say so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    Thanks John, but I do recognize the subtle use of layers and the painstaking detail in your work. As for nobody noticing,anyone who knows what they're looking at can't help but be impressed with your work. There are enough around here who know superior work and what it takes to produce it. Some even take the time to say so.
    Wot he says...

Icon9

I just miss the days when an upload would spark a dialogue on this forum, which would lead to the next project, or a further improvement of said upload.

nowadays it's just tumbleweed, the only clue that anything is any good is the number of uploads (maybe?).

Quote Originally Posted by UncleTgt View Post
    I just miss the days when an upload would spark a dialogue on this forum, which would lead to the next project, or a further improvement of said upload.

nowadays it's just tumbleweed, the only clue that anything is any good is the number of uploads (maybe?).
    Some of that silence could be down to the high standard of the uploads. Also, some work emerges after dialogue off forum.

It would be good, though to see more discussion of each upload. It would be particularly interesting to see some discussion of the mission use generated by particular aircraft, repaints, ships and scenery.

Icon22 Reply...

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenna View Post
    Some of that silence could be down to the high standard of the uploads. Also, some work emerges after dialogue off forum.

It would be good, though to see more discussion of each upload. It would be particularly interesting to see some discussion of the mission use generated by particular aircraft, repaints, ships and scenery.
    John and Michael,

Fair enough....I requested you (John) create this skin, so that it historically represents this raid by 22 Squadron using said Beauforts against Waalhaven.

"title_string"=Bomber Command - Attack on Wallhaven airfield
    "summary_string"=Listen up! German troops have captured the Dutch airfield at Waalhaven, so we wil attack and try to dislodge them while their grip on the field is still tenuous. Over Holland, you will rendezvous with a force of Swordfish biplanes, and inflict as much damage as you can on the enemy!
    "objective_string"=The evening of 12 May 1940 saw six Beauforts of RAF 22 Squadron raid the German-held airfield at Waalhaven. They were accompanied by nine Fairey Swordfish of FAA 815 Sqn, based out of Bircham Newton. They were able to successfully attack the airfield and return to England just prior to 23:00 hours. However, during the attack, one Swordfish was shot down by flak. The overall impact of this raid is not known.
    "intelligence_string"=After taking off, you will fly east-southeast over The Wash and East Anglia. If you have any engine trouble, you can land at Coltishall, near Norfolk. If all is well, head across the North Sea to attack Waalhaven airfield. Swordfish biplanes will meet you near the aerodrome, & you'll attack together. Concentrate on fuel stores, ammo crates, and any exposed transports. Once finished, fly back over the North Sea for home. The Swordfish will break off while over East Anglia. You may land there if chewed up, or continue back to Kirton-in-Lindsay. Good luck!
    "player_aircraft_name_string"=Beaufort Mk I Bomber
    "airfield_string"=England - Kirton-in-Lindsay

I included the Alphasim panel in the aircraft to give it my own "upgrade." She still flies like a beast, but at least it has the Taurus engine sounds...
    I would add the same information to the "Hurricanes" thread, but you'd have over 100 posts from all the missions I used them for.
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

tee hee Rami

Seriously, 69 downloads & 3 Aussies & a Yank respond - & I half expected the Aussies were just wanting to gloat over the Ashes (certainly true of Stuart )

BTW, I've started revising the panel for WIN 7+, & am collecting research material for the MK V & Mk VIIIs, so you see, engagement does spark fresh project work after all!

Icon12

Just putting in my 2¢, but my view on this subject is that this sim appeals to a certain generation, so to speak.

Though none of us participated in a world war, the greater majority had family that did. My father spent two and a half years in the Pacific. Whenever I load the sim my thoughts are always with him in mind. Also I have to add my love for old war birds, number 2.

If one puts their head into the present, younger generation, what's their thoughts?
    Can't blame anything on them, it's just the way it is. There's always going to be a disconnect.

I'm feeling very comfortable to say that anything produced for this sim is appreciated by me and our generation. History always needs to be accurately preserved.
    It's our little time machine.

Cheerz Uncle,

Dave,

I'd agree about the generational interest, but I do wonder about the lack of response from "collectors". Its been said before, but it would be good if more people downloading a new offering would take the time to comment or show appreciation.

John,

On the topic of Beauforts, I have a swag of pics, profiles and operational information on Malta based Beauforts and Mk.8 aircraft flying out of New Guinea. The ADF Serials website has some useful pictures and marking information on both Mk.8s and Mk.9s. I've also recently come across detailed information on Beaufort ops over Rabaul in concert with USAAF and USN aircraft. When I saw this my first though was about your scenery for the area.

Library Staff
    Hi John,

I would never gloat over the Ashes!

Thanks very much for the Beaufort skin. I appreciate it. Thanks also for all the fabulous Halifaxes. As mentioned above, I think it's the age of people using CFS2 (except Andrew) and the fact that many of our fathers served in World War 2. My dad was stationed in Milne Bay in 1942-1943 with RAAF 100 Squadron Beauforts, 6 Squadron Hudsons and 75/76 Squadrons Kittyhawks. Here he is smiling for the camera.

Cheers,

Kevin
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 006 Tom Driver & Beaufort 100 Squadron.jpg  

Great photo Kevin

Thank you very much UncleTgt. I sure appreciate you sharing your work.

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!
    Thanks very much UT. As usual, beautiful work!

And thank Rami for the request and for the herculean work you have put into your soon to be released BOF project!

I think I got every thing installed properly. Do these screenies look about right?

UT-Merlin2 May1940 Bomber:

UT-Merlin2 May1940 Torpedo Bomber:

UT, we appreciate what you do!

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

Any chance of seeing a little of this on these AC?

Give me a little of this!
    Give me just because
    they call me Shine in here......... Signalman 1st Class "Badass" Buddusky, Last Detail

MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22 Reply...

Chris,

I appreciate the nod on the Battle of France. The real issue is because of the significant Belgian scenery component, this project got intertwined with a bunch of other developments, including a revamp by Kdriver of Cees Donker's old Dutch bases for FS9, (which is what prompted me to do the Dutch campaign in the first place) and then Ravenna and Kdriver got involved with World War I, in an area where I was working, and both of them sent me WWII mods of their scenery.

Robert John made some new scenery items that I included as well...mainly from the Flanders stuff.

Plus, Robert John fixed some display problems with Gius's scenery packages...I had requested a village scenery set to help me create small towns for this package, because I don't like using the Radar, since you're over land most of the time, I like using GSL towns and cities as dead reckoning visual aides. Building all of those took a lot of time. There was also a city pack that Gius made which I used heavily.

Achim also pitched in from time to time and made over twenty new bases for this project, not to mention the work of Captain Kurt and Kdriver, who also contributed a handful of bases each. UncleTgt also made at least twenty skins, maybe more, for this endeavor.

Some of the scenery was also up at the Free Flight site, so we're waiting on that to finish transferring as well.

Once everyone uploads the parts we're waiting on, the "big" uploads shouldn't be far behind, with auto-installers, of course.
    "Rami"

Wow, Rami,

Thats a lot of irons in the fire! Sounds like everything is slowly but surely coming together into unified whole, eh?

I bet the "readme" for this project is gonna be a lulu!

Cheers,
    Chris

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

WRT, the Beauforts,

Just out of curiosity,

Whats up with the bullet-hole looking thingies just forward of the turret?

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22 Reply...

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    Whats up with the bullet-hole looking thingies just forward of the turret?

MR
    Chris,

Close calls. Each notch represents a ration of rum for the flight crew. More holes equals more grog.
    "Rami"

Icon22 Reply...

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    Wow, Rami,

I bet the "readme" for this project is gonna be a lulu!
    Chris,

This is for Part II, the scenery and missions.
    "Rami"

MR These ? the top ones are vents , the middle ones to watch the zero,s approach you can,t defend from ,
    and the bottom one is to pee from ,

Uncle fabulis work , at least as far as Canada is concerned ,

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Rami
    Close calls. Each notch represents a ration of rum for the flight crew. More holes equals more grog.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarg Willy
    MR These ? the top ones are vents , the middle ones to watch the zero,s approach you can,t defend from ,
    and the bottom one is to pee from ,
    Wow, Rami and Sarge Willy,

You'd think more designers and skinners would include them in their work, wouldn't you?! ;^)

Thanks, guys,
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Quote Originally Posted by Rami
    Chris,
    This is for Part II, the scenery and missions.
    I read it, Rami. That is danged impressive!

It appears to be your Magnum Opus!

I feel inspired!

I might just get a new computer, do a European install and have some fun!

Thanks for the preview!

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Members who have read this thread: 2