CFS2 Albatross G.III Grosskampfflugzeug released!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CFS2 Albatross G.III Grosskampfflugzeug released!

Friedrichshafen G.III/IIIa and Albatros G.III

Hello Folks,
    Now come two new twin-engined Grossflugzeug Projects, which you may be interested in,
    namely the 1917 Albatros G.III with its rounded, graceful lines, and the larger, heftier Friedrichshafen G.III,
    with its 1918 box-tailed variant, the G.IIIa. (These two were also called Friedrichshafen 450Hp bombers).

The Albatros G.III model is almost ready, because the FS98 version I´d done in 2008 was already hollowed out.
    Not so the Friedrichshafen, so that will take a little bit more to do.

Anyway, here´s some more eye-candy (sugar is addictive...).
    The pictures of the Albatros are already in CFS2, but the Friedrichshafen ones are still FS98 ones, but give the idea...

We never get bored, do we now? ;-)
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails AlbatrosG3--1.jpg   AlbatrosG3--2.jpg   Fried_G3.jpg   FF-G3a.jpg   AlbatrosG3--4.jpg  
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; September 5th, 2019 at 10:47. Reason: spelling and pics

Wow Aleatory lamp, even not the most pretty, those "Fried" will be welcome

Hello Martin Klein,
    Compared to the smart looking, aerodynamic Albatros, the Friedrichshafen is a bit of a brute,
    but it was quite a sturdy and reliable medium-sized work-horse.
    A lot of work to upgrade, but quite fun, I´m sure!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    "Why make it simple if you can also make it complicated?"

Pretty or plain they both look good, and help to add a bit of variety on the Great War stage.

Hello again,
    I´ve put them on the conveyor belts, with a few workers working on them, mainly tidying things up to get them going, but there are other simultaneous projects going, so it might yet be a while before they progress.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Albatros G.III on the conveyor belt.

Hello Folks!

Now´s the turn of the Albatros G.III mid-range bomber.

After an initial 4-engined version of the first prototype was regected for being rather underpowered and ungainly, a second scaled-down prototype twin-engined machine was produced in 1916,
    with 2x150 Hp Benz Bz.III engines.

Six units were produced and saw service. It was still rather underpowered, so the design was then further developed, including more powerful engines (see below), for the larger main G.III production batch.

This little-known, large, twin-engined biplane with very graceful lines was produced in small numbers. Some sources state 18 or 19, and apparently 11 or 12 were used together with some Rumpler G.II from Kagohl 1 in Macedonia, and then, 9 units saw service on the Western Front, with Kagohl IV.

It seems to have been very rugged, easy and pleasant to fly, with a remarkable top speed of 150 kph (93 mph) thanks to its powerful 230 Hp Benz Bz.IV pusher engines.

One interesting factor is that the lower wing trailing edge was cut out to allow a further forward placing of the heavy Benz engines, very much improving the centre of gravity. The top wing was also cut away, improving the rear gunner´s field of fire.

Payload was 24 x 12.5 kg PUW bombs on 6-bomb racks, 3 internal ones and one on the left side of the fuselage near the cockpit, and bombs coulb be dropped indicivually or in 6-bomb salvoes.

Here´s a screenshot of the old FS98 model. I really like its graceful, smooth lines!
    The CFS2 model will have transparent windows on the sides of the fore-fuselage, and of course crew and weapons will be added by the DP files. The upgrade fortunately seems not to be posing any complications.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Albatros G.3 Screenshot.jpg  

Albatros progressing

Hello All,

Here are two screenshots of the new CFS2 upgrade. One shows a closer view of the external
    bomb rack on the left side of the cockpit,
    and the other, a view of the CFS2 upgrade with crew
    and weapons in the Dp files.

The Dp files have a hardpoint limitation: 3 crew and 2 machineguns leave only 18 hardpoints free for bombs, so I can´t put in the total of 24 bombs. The real aircraft had four 6-bomb racks, three internal and one external, and release could be 6-bomb salvoes or individually.
    However, I´m sure the 18 bombs allowed in three salvoes
    will be good enough!

In the CFS2 .air file, engine and propeller parameters and graph tables I fed in came out very well,
    to fit aircraft performance with its two large Benz Bz.IV pushers.

Now I´ll make the red spinners brown, or something more better... and fix a few hairline cracks here and there.

Let´s see how it goes.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Albatros G.III.jpg   External Bomb Rack.jpg  

Better and better!

Congrats AleatoryLamp,
    very needed and wonderful planes!!! I've downloaded and installed them, can i reskin and repanel?
    Regards,
    Gius

Hello Gius,

I´m afraid the models you mention are FS98 aircraft which haven´t been

upgraded for CFS2 yet. At the moment I´m working on the Albatros G.III,
    and later, I´m re-doing the Friedrichshafen G.III/IIIa.

Please note that the new re-builds will have texture mapping differences.

However, if meanwhile you wish to re-texture and re-panel these FS98 models,
    please feel free to do so! ;-)

Cheers,

Aleatorylamp

Hello Folks,

I just found an extra daytime livery for the Albatros G.III in beige wings
    with light blue undersurfaces and yellowish-brown fuselage. Very promising!

Here are some screenshots. I will not include the uncowled engines, though,
    because other b/w photos showing these seem to be of planes possibly
    being serviced or repaired. The cowled engines look much better anyway!

At the moment I´m battling with the famous CFS2 adverse dark shading
    effect on the wings and nose tip. It is more noticeable on lighter colours, but
    with
    re-arranging some triangles, I´m managing on the wings. Let´s see about
    the nose later.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails albatros_2-liveries.jpg   Albatros Day 1.jpg   Albatros Day 2.jpg  
    Last edited by aleatorylamp; November 28th, 2019 at 00:05.

Icon22 Reply...

A-lamp and Klein,

These both look outstanding, thank you for all of your time and effort on these!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Thanks you too, Rami, all that is possible cause you and all the team takes care of this forum, it's great

Quote Originally Posted by Klein View Post
    Thanks you too, Rami, all that is possible cause you and all the team takes care of this forum, it's great
    Amen to that!

Hello again,
    It seems to be going well. The nose tip is no longer a structure, and has thus
    eliminated the change in shading there, and the top wing is better, and now I´m
    trying to sort out the bottom wing-tips. Let´s see if I can get a pic to show later this afternoon!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Hello Stephan,
    i think actually your mapping is quite difficult, but i can do equally a decent work,
    Thank you,
    Gius

Re-texturing the old models

Hello Gius,
    Thanks once again for your interest in my old models, but I feel it is unfortunately of debatable use to re-paint them.

Both the old Albatros and the old Friedrichshafen models have texture mapping problems, because at the time, AF99 was giving me texture mapping problems. AF99 uses the decimal point, and my Spanish OS uses the decimal comma. I only realized years later, after which I changes the punctuation marks in the Spanish OS, and could correct the texture mapping problems. This is the reason for the re-paint difficulties you are encountering.

As I commented in my post a few days ago, I am currently upgrading the models you mention
    for CFS2. Textures are also being upgraded to high-resolution extended bitmaps. Given that I am soon going to upload the Albatros G.III upgraded, improved model, and later the 2 Friedrichshafens, it will probably not be worth your while working on re-paints of the old models.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Two new Albatros G.III liveries

Hello Folks,

Getting there slowly, but still fighting the hairline cracks!

With CFS1 I found it helped to put in a vertex along a straight edge if there was a vertex of an adjacent panel along that edge, as this would eliminate possible hairline cracks, but with CFS2 the extra vertex interferes and makes the whole panel disappear!
    Very strange, so I´ll have to make the panels overlap or something ...

Anyway, here´s a set of screenshots for the two liveries. Martin Klein has certainly done a spectacular job again!

Now for the custom instrument panel...

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Alb-3-1.jpg   Alb-3-2.jpg   Alb-3-3.jpg   Alb-3-4.jpg   Alb-3-5.jpg   Alb-3-6.jpg  

REALLY nice!
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Hi Stoney,
    Thanks! Yes, I´m very pleased too, how it has come out, especially now with the new textgures!
    Let´s see if I have enough time this week to do the hairline cracks and do the upload soon.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Quote Originally Posted by aleatorylamp View Post
    Hello Gius,
    Thanks once again for your interest in my old models, but I feel it is unfortunately of debatable use to re-paint them.

Both the old Albatros and the old Friedrichshafen models have texture mapping problems, because at the time, AF99 was giving me texture mapping problems. AF99 uses the decimal point, and my Spanish OS uses the decimal comma. I only realized years later, after which I changes the punctuation marks in the Spanish OS, and could correct the texture mapping problems. This is the reason for the re-paint difficulties you are encountering.

As I commented in my post a few days ago, I am currently upgrading the models you mention
    for CFS2. Textures are also being upgraded to high-resolution extended bitmaps. Given that I am soon going to upload the Albatros G.III upgraded, improved model, and later the 2 Friedrichshafens, it will probably not be worth your while working on re-paints of the old models.

Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Hi Stephan,
    i could say in my humble opinion i'm quite an expert in difficult mappings... Anyway, i can everywhere give a try, if the results will be deludent i'll avoid to upload....
    Thanks for your kindness anyway,
    Giuseppe

Hi Gius,
    No problem! I was just trying to avoid you unnecessary frustration, but please go ahead!
    The more versions and re-paints of these rare models that are available, the better!
    I have found very little documentation on these aircraft, so your re-paints will definitely
    be very welcome and very interesting to see!

Thanks for your efforts.
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp

Albatros G.III Grosskampfflugzeug Uploaded

Hello Folks,

I hope I haven´t left anything out!
    Here´s the link for the new CFS2 revised model upload, which will be available as soon as it is approved in the Warbirds Library:

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=124&id=26088

Let me know if anything´s amiss, and I´ll put it right ASAP!

Here are a few screenshots, panel and virtual cockpit included.
    I hope you like the plane.Enjoy!
    Cheers,
    Aleatorylamp
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Albatros-1.jpg   Albatros-2.jpg   Albatros-3.jpg   Albatros-4.jpg   Albatros-5.jpg   Albatros Panel.jpg  

Albatros Virtual Cockpit.jpg  

Icon22 CFS2 Albatross G.III Grosskampfflugzeug released!

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 2 Aircraft - World War I

Description: Fully revised Albatros G.III model, upgraded for CFS2.

Limited production version of Albatros Flugzeugwerke´s little known medium sized, twin engined tactical bomber biplane, based on their 1916 G.II prototype.

It entered service in Macedonia and on the Western Front in 1917. Powered by two 230 hp Benz Bz IV engines, it could carry a payload of 24x12.5 Kg bombs (.dp files only allow 18 bombs on the model), and had a top speed of 150 kph (93 mph).

It was faster and easier to fly than the more famous contemporary Gotha, AEG or Friedrichshafen G Series bombers.

Contains CFS2 Dp files and flight dynamics, custom panel by Kdriver, and high-resolution extended textures and authentic custom gauges by Martin Klein.

By Stephan Scholz.

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit CFS2 Albatross G.III Grosskampfflugzeug.zip
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Icon22 Reply...

A-lamp and others,

Thank you for your hard work on this, I love seeing all these new aircraft for the Great War!
    "Rami"

"Me? I'm just a Sea of Tranquility in an Ocean of Storms, babe."

My campaign site: http://www.box.net/shared/0k1e1rz29h
    My missions site: http://www.box.net/shared/ueh4kazk3v
    My scenery site: http://www.box.net/shared/knb1l0ztobhs2esb14rb

Members who have read this thread: 1