HMS Victory - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HMS Victory

Milt, anything, anytime. I have so many of your planes, I am eternally grateful !
    I have Steam FSX, P3D 3, and 4.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Seahawk72s View Post
    Assuming a single shot saluting cannon will be incorporated, would it be possible to have
    a single deck broadside available..?

The side by side comparison screen shots are breath taking.

Thanks for undertaking this project...
    Possible? Of course. Just need to write down 50 (x3 - x,y,z) coordinates and pass that on to the TACPAC guys. :-) Awesome! LOL
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    Be glad to help. I run FS2004 and FSX.
    Assuming a single shot saluting cannon will be incorporated, would it be possible to have
    a single deck broadside available..?

The side by side comparison screen shots are breath taking.

Thanks for undertaking this project...
    Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    Milt, anything, anytime. I have so many of your planes, I am eternally grateful !
    I have Steam FSX, P3D 3, and 4.
    Sue
    Thank you; I appreciate any help you all can give in any sim FSX plus.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Rob and I have also talked about AI and multiplayer needs. Is there specific interest in AI? In MP?

We can resolve the sails visibility issue in MP if anyone uses that with other players.

Your thoughts appreciated.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Mmmmmmmm

Not quite real but nice effect..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0KE-Vo0I0E

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Your thoughts appreciated.
    AI - yes, please.

MP - no thanks.

As to coloring, this video might prove enlightening. "HMS Victory in her True Colours"; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmNXRWtQ-P0
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Quote Originally Posted by stoney View Post
    As to coloring, this video might prove enlightening. "HMS Victory in her True Colours"; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KmNXRWtQ-P0
    Nice catch....

Quote Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
    Very nice indeed. I know it's WIP, but is it not a little high out of the water ?

Below is a painting by Geoff Hunt, with HMS Victory leading, to illustrate:

Paul, Here is a question for both you and Stoney: having set this picture and my Desktop background for two days, I finally came to notice that the port side studsails are deployed, but not the starboard side. I assume that these ships of the line are preparing battle on the starboard side? Very interesting that only one side with that square yardage would be deployed.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

If Bounty was just excellent, this is going to be epic... AIs yes & why not some MP naval battling ?...
    My Military Flight Videos :

Lots of progress so far with all sails, foot ropes, flags animations, visibility options working. Updates to deck parts, new rudder wheel, mast braces, and all new FSX native materials (still have bumps/specs to add).

The biggest thing left is getting the animated running rigging in place, a tedious and time consuming task adding/animating/visibly controlling about 72 parts and adjusting another 12-15..

Once that is done, we will have pretty much all the features that were present on the Bounty working on the Victory.

There are several new features not yet implemented or working but those will come easy once Rob is available.

So, great progress and she is looking sweet.

Here are a few random shots.

Thanks for your interest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2019-sep-5-015.jpg   ms-2019-sep-6-022.jpg   ms-2019-sep-10-001.jpg   ms-2019-sep-10-009.jpg   ms-2019-sep-11-011.jpg   ms-2019-sep-11-012.jpg  

ms-2019-sep-11-013.jpg   ms-2019-sep-10-007.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Milton,

To fight on the starboard side, they wanted to reduce the clutter which could result by battle damage to the starboard sails and rigging collapsing onto the starboard gun decks, blocking their cannon fire. Also it provided better view for the marine sharpshooters aloft to fire onto the enemy decks as the ships grew closer abeam as the battle moved towards actual boarding of the enemy ship. One didn't want the starboard sails and rigging interfering with the final stages of the battle. Should the warship need to disengage, the port side sails would be necessary to make way, as the mainsails might very likely have serious battle damage.

Another advantage would be to provide more starboard turning force and speed, should it become necessary to ram the enemy or disrupt the enemy line.

Just my thoughts as a retired soldier.

It has been my observation that asymmetrical deployment studingsail or stunsail was not unusual on any ship that had them. Depends on wind condtions and efforts to keep the ship in trim.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails post-6522-0-62479600-1419969021.jpg  
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

While building my Victory model I read that Nelson the had all the fleets mast bands repainted from the traditional black to the whole mast color. This was to help identify friend from foe during the Battle. Comes under the heading of Trafalgar trivia.

Stoney,

That seems to be an authoritative explanation of the use of the studding sail! Sure looks like an effective trim aid, and to make better way in a light wind as well, when rigged on both sides.

I also still see military advantage to rigging a Man-o-War's studding sails while going into the line of battle. If you look close, you see that the starboard mainsails of each ship have been sort of pulled up (or reefed?) out of the way to provide yet more clearance on the "battle side".

In any case, it certainly presents a formidable sight whist sailing in the line of battle!
    Last edited by llanning08; September 11th, 2019 at 15:19. Reason: added informational text

Here's a painting of the frigate USS Constitution under full sail with studding sails port and starboard. It is racing the vessel seen far astern.

The second painting is the famous battle USS Constitution vs HMS Guerriere (August 1814). Note that
    both ships have reefed their lower sails as they engage in close combat.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails USS Constitution under full sail.jpg   USS Cinstitution vs HMS Guerriere.jpg  

That's right llanning08. "Battle sails "was usually top sails; top gallants; jibs and spanker. Less chance of a fire resulting from your own guns or those of your opponent igniting the courses. Most of this I have learned from reading Alexander Kent books.

Got the bulk of the heavy lifting done so working to improve things in general.

I bulked up the standing rigging and rat lines to make them realistic, and more masculine looking. LOL

Improved textures on all cannons (104 plus) and anchors for realism and contrast.

Finished up the animated running rigging, foot ropes, and clew lines.

Some improvements on camera views as well.

Here are a few shots.

Love sailing all the inlets around Vancouver Island and the mainland.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2019-sep-13-006.jpg   ms-2019-sep-13-008.jpg   ms-2019-sep-13-009.jpg   ms-2019-sep-13-010.jpg   ms-2019-sep-13-015.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

The added complexity of the standing rigging really ups the realism.
    She just keeps looking better and better, thanks..!

I don't fly the ships yet, but this thread sure is fun to read!

Quote Originally Posted by downwind View Post
    I don't fly the ships yet, but this thread sure is fun to read!
    Hi Downwind,

For your namesake, you should try the FSX native HMS Bounty assuming you run FSX or P3D.

HMS Victory will have very similar controls.

The .pdf documentation has a great guide to wind-driven sailing either through the "Auto Skipper" feature, or through manual management of the sails used, positioning, etc.

The max speed for these wind-driven vessels (for the sim) is 15 knots in best conditions. Both also now have auto course or heading hold features for those long treks.

Here are a few Bounty screen shots.

Sailing is very relaxing. Throw in some rain for really nice effects.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2018-dec-30-001.jpg   ms-2018-dec-25-026.jpg   HOMEUNIT-2015-may-27-008.jpg   ms-2019-sep-1-004.jpg   ms-2019-sep-1-008.jpg  
    Last edited by Milton Shupe; September 13th, 2019 at 14:08.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Smooth sailing I hope....

Smooth sailing I hope....
    I have completed most of my work now until Rob comes aboard for additional custom programming for things like managing studsails (stunsails), bowsprit sheets, cannon doors, AI, and MP functions (if we decide to go there), etc.
    I think the AI side has support.

Wellis is looking to do the bump maps; thank you Sir :-)

Meanwhile I am working the beta of the Avia 51 series and staging the Avia 57 for FSX native work.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    I have completed most of my work now until Rob comes aboard for additional custom programming for things like managing studsails (stunsails), bowsprit sheets, cannon doors, AI, and MP functions (if we decide to go there), etc.
    I think the AI side has support.
    Well, I'm up to the challenge ….LoL

Cheers, Rob

Rob,

I have packaged and uploaded the Victory for you.

Email and package contain the particulars.

Thanks
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 1