HMS Victory - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HMS Victory

I'm sorry Milt, but I gotta tell you. I laughed so hard when I saw that you had "made the rigging and rat lines more masculine"; I almost fell off my chair. The concept of masculine or feminine ropes is mind boggling.
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Milton Shupe View Post
    Rob,

I have packaged and uploaded the Victory for you.

Email and package contain the particulars.

Thanks
    Got it.
    See our Email exchange.

And (burried in the details allready) I completely forgot to say what a fantastic job you already did on this HMS-Victory visual model !!!!

Cheers, Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Penzoil3 View Post
    I'm sorry Milt, but I gotta tell you. I laughed so hard when I saw that you had "made the rigging and rat lines more masculine"; I almost fell off my chair. The concept of masculine or feminine ropes is mind boggling.
    Sue
    LOL Sue, I know, right! :-)

Here is what I referring to; note the standing rigging in the before and after pics.

The standing rigging for the masts are huge in size whereas the horizontals (climbing ropes) are much smaller.
    The original had them the same size, much too small to support the stresses of the masts, yard arms, and sails.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fem.jpg   masc.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by rcbarend View Post
    Got it.
    See our Email exchange.

And (burried in the details allready) I completely forgot to say what a fantastic job you already did on this HMS-Victory visual model !!!!

Cheers, Rob
    Thank you Rob. I have to give the original modeler credit for the model in general and the textures.

I have made tons of modifications, additions, and remapping and texture resizing, but the original model credits go elsewhere. :-)
    Unfortunately, as hard as I have tried, I cannot identify the freeware author as it was so long ago. The downloaded .3ds file was dated 2002.
    This particular base model is free for download on at least two sites and I have retained links and download data for those interested.
    There were no animations, only around 28 parts, non-uniform texture sizes, no running rigging, and very basic up-close deck parts (from a VC perspective).

I have a lot of time invested in breaking the original apart and reconstructing it, redoing the textures and mapping, right-sizing it, eliminating some "over-the-top" parts, before I could start modifying for animations, additions, and correct display in the sim. But, without this base model, we would not be here. My hat is off to the original 3ds modeler of this ship.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

I never believed that the MSsim world would permit such detailing. Excellent job.
    PSULLYKEYS

The only thing necessary for evil to win is for good men to do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by PSULLYKEYS View Post
    I never believed that the MSsim world would permit such detailing. Excellent job.
    Yes, PSully, and more. However, I am restricted by a 32-bit system and gmax so I am pushing memory limits of my system with this one.
    FSX and P3D would support a lot more than I am capable of exporting.

Rob and I are just about done with the custom programming for the Victory.
    Shown here as HMS Victory proudly displays her studsails (stunsails) that may be displayed port and starboard separately or together.
    Cannon doors may be opened or closed to show/hide all 104 guns.
    Wellis will be working on Bump maps once he finishes the Avia 51 series.
    I am working now to update the .pdf documentation for sailing this ship in the winds of FSX/P3D.

Here are a few screenshots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2019-oct-7-006.jpg   ms-2019-oct-7-009.jpg   ms-2019-oct-8-001.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Wow Milton, I don't know how I missed this thread earlier. She's absolutely beautiful! I've had a bunch of fun with the Bounty, and now I'm really looking forward to the Victory. The size comparison screenshots are great, and that shot just above, under full canvas, is ridiculous. It looks like the Bounty could be her dinghy!

Really nice job, on the part of both the original artist and yourself. As always, thank you for all your work and time.

What a beautiful model Milton. Regardless of one’s cup o’ tea, art is art and that’s a work of art. Visually stunning. Great work.

Steve
    Duckie

"I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave!"

Intel i9-9900K; Noctua NH-D15 Chromax Cooler; Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro WiFi;
    ASUS Dual RTX 2070 Super OC EVO; Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB 3200;
    WD Black 500GB PCIe M.2 SSD; 3 Samsung 860 EVO SSD; WD Black 2TB HDD;
    Corsair RM 850x Gold Full Modular PSU; Phanteks P600S Mid Tower; Win10 Pro
    My SOH Downloads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...d=79620&sort=d

Thanks for the comments Duckie and Stearmandriver; greatly appreciated.

Rob has pretty much whipped the basic custom programming so anything after this is icing on the cake.

Wellis is just about done with the bump mapping and I have a question for you.

This magnificent ship was in service for many years, and actually was around 30 years old during Lord Admiral Nelson's historic Battle of Trafalgar.

Since most of the ship is wood, one must wonder how the exterior held up over the years.

We are just now looking at the exterior bump maps and are curious how far to take this.
    I am showing some different lighting situations here to best display the bumps.

This is showing very rustic, unlike the real life version in Portsmouth.

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2019-oct-12-008.jpg   ms-2019-oct-12-009.jpg   ms-2019-oct-12-010.jpg   ms-2019-oct-13-013.jpg   ms-2019-oct-13-014.jpg   ms-2019-oct-13-015.jpg  

Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

These textures look too aggressively edited, look too "plastic". Like aged vinyl siding? Perhaps less 3D bulging effect? Look at the before restoration pictures of HMS Victory, at the time quite old and weathered by English maritime weather.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HMS Victory starboard quarter.jpg   HMS Victory portside quarter.jpg   HMS Victory Stern.jpg  

Another view

A look to the siding of the USS Constitution shows the tightness of the seams and weathering of a ship that has been afloat all its life.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails USS-Constitution-2.jpg  

Thanks guys for the open and honest observations; I greatly appreciate that.

For the bumps, we sort of took our cue from the original author's textures which as you can see call for that kind of rustic bump activity.

We need to re-evaluate how best to represent HMS Victory for the sim. I am not opposed to doing that but I have not asked anyone to actually repaint the ship. I had simply planned to use original textures.

So, we'll take a time-out and re-think this.

Thanks for your feedback. :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Well, the last 3.5 weeks, Rob has really brought the ship to life with his programming. That has been pretty much the focus since early October.
    Wellis and I decided to scrap all the bump mapping. The shear number of bumps for the way textures were mapped did not yield the benefits for the extreme overhead.

The original modeler's textures will be used here; no paint kit, no bumps provided with those textures as they are quite rustic up close.

One other totally awesome achievement is a multiplayer model that functions fully with all animations and visibility of parts working and changes to sails and yardarm are reflected across players who have the MP model (part of the package).
    So, if you like to do MP sessions, and wish to sail or go to battle with friends, you will greatly enjoy a fully functioning MP model, complete with opening gun doors and cannons in position, or closed, as you wish.
    The cannons are not tacpac'd; just for looks.

The beta is now out in several of your hands; if you have time to go through all the stuff and wish a copy, PM me.

An AI version is in progress that will animate anchors and sails based on conditions.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quite elegant when under full sail.
    Many thanks for a job well done...

Thanks to the beta testers for their contributions; allowed us to tighten things up nice and snug.

HMS Victory is now ready for your FSX and P3D sailing pleasures.

And, do not forget the fully functional multiplayer models for those of you who like to sail or fly online.

Thanks to Rob Barendregt for his skills to bring this sailing experience to fruition.

Get it here: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...4&linkid=25915
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

For those of you into AI models and scheduling, I have an AI model that needs testing.

This new model has sails/ secured sails conditions that control when sails, anchors/chains are deployed.

Would love to have some assistance with this as I am not into those things. LOL

As a minimum, I would like a schedule for moving HMS Victory from W39 to W33 and back.

I am attaching the the AI FSX model setup for the "Boats" family of objects.

Thanks in advance for any help on this one.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

For those of you into AI models and scheduling, I have an AI model that needs testing.

This new model has sails/ secured sails conditions that control when sails, anchors/chains are deployed.

As a minimum, I would like a schedule for moving HMS Victory from W39 to W33 and back.

Hi Militon,
    I just downloaded this masterpiece - it is an absolutely stunning model and I will with pleasure take a look at her as AI over the weekend. Maybe I will let her fight the French Hermione from the same epoque
    Henrik

Blog Entries
    Thank you to everyone involved in producing this work of art, it's very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by kl791 View Post
    Hi Militon,
    I just downloaded this masterpiece - it is an absolutely stunning model and I will with pleasure take a look at her as AI over the weekend. Maybe I will let her fight the French Hermione from the same epoque
    Henrik
    Thank you Henrik; that is appreciated.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Quote Originally Posted by IanHenry View Post
    Thank you to everyone involved in producing this work of art, it's very much appreciated.
    Thank you Ian. It had an appeal from the moment I discovered this old model 7 years ago. I am happy that I hung onto it to get the model into FSX.
    I was doubtful in the beginning as everything about it said it would not work.
    But perseverance and love for the original modeling carried the day and got me through the transition.
    Then Rob came aboard to do all the necessary custom programming work to get us to here. He even cured the Multiplayer ills and got a full functioning model working in MP situations.

So, it has been quite the journey and one we can be proud to have traveled.
    We now offer this gift to all of you to enjoy along with us.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ms-2019-sep-10-003.jpg   ms-2019-sep-10-005.jpg   ms-2019-sep-13-011.jpg   ms-2019-sep-13-013.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Thanks Milton ! You and your cohorts have produced another masterpiece. Actually set foot on her back in the 1960s.

Maybe the next could be a USN frigate. Old Ironsides, the world's oldest commissioned naval vessel still afloat, launched in 1797.

Just flipping FANTASTIC! Thank you Milton.
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Working with AICarriers, placing ships in a line, approximately 1 cable length apart (600 ft.).
    Flags and pennant move very nicely, but unsure of anyway to get sails to deploy.
    Also a stern and bow wake would be great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  

I'am afraid I see the same problem when using the HMS Victory as AI ship - the sails are not deploying. I made a test route of the coast of Spain some 30-40 kilometers Northwest of Cape Trafalgar, but this time the French Spanish armada here represented by l'Hermione might win with the additional benefit of being able to outmaneuver the Brits

The test routes forming the white T on the map can be downloaded here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2kpyv2zs0...9DSlB9eha?dl=0 It makes HMS Victory approach from the West every hour and the two ships meet around half past the hour.

The Hermione is included in the latest version of the Global AI Ship Traffic, but is not necessary to visualize HMS Victory.

PS... I downloaded the drawings of San Juan de Nepomuceno... Maybe if sometime I get time enough I will make a proper adversary to the HMS Victory. A lifelong friend of mine descend in direct line from the Captain of the San Juan de Nepomuceno Cosme Damian Churruca, who became one the biggest Spanish naval heroes through his heroic fight during the Battle of Trafalgar. I have eaten many dinners underneath a painting of Churruca lying deadly wounded on the deck of the San Juan de Nepomuceno during the battle.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 19110311294916112916490705.jpg  

@Seahawk, kl791,

Are you using the AI model, as made available in post #66 ??

Because the sails/anchor animation of the Rel. 1.0 SP/MP model won't work in AI, because there is no "user" control.

In the AI model, the anchor/sails are controlled by actual groundspeed; so if it's moving (either spawned with AI or with AIcarriers) the sails are deployed and anchor is weighed.
    That is: that was the idea ...LoL

But I will check the AI model myself (as linked in post #66).

Rob

PS: just checked the AI model, as available in post #66.
    And there is something wrong in the build of this model.
    I will contact Milton about this ...

Members who have read this thread: 1