HMS Victory

Thread: HMS Victory

HMS Victory

Sometimes you have to go full Nelson, Admiral Nelson that is.

Several years ago I downloaded this freebie 3ds model from the net. It was way too poly heavy for FS9 but I hung onto it thinking maybe one day we can get it in FSX.

Unfortunately, the 84 textures it used are .jpegs and are random sizes (not FS friendly).
    So, I invested two days resizing textures to FS standards and getting them working with the model in a format that is workable.

Well, just got over that major hump at least with these old basic textures.

I have the model resized to actual specs (length wise) and it is starting to look decent in the sim.

I have it working with HMS Bounty "flight model" and wind controls.

Of course, there are no animations and wind direction and speed dependent visibility for sails and flags.

I really do not know if this can be taken that far but certainly static models are possible.

Here are two FS9 screen shots that showed all I could get exported to FS9 without textures. Looked impressive then.
    Two shots are from gmax.

The remaining textured shots are from FSX.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails HMS Victory-2.jpg   HMS Victory-3.jpg   hmsvictory2.jpg   hsmvictory.jpg   ms-2019-sep-3-001.jpg   ms-2019-sep-3-003.jpg  

ms-2019-sep-3-004.jpg   ms-2019-sep-4-005.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here
    Video Tutorials - Gmax for Beginners

Looks stunning, a companion to the Bounty.

A Man o War! Count me in for some of that!

Looks great Milton and definitely something to look forward to . However, it also looks as a lot of work for somebody who announced his retirement.

(Not that we complain of course )

Cheers,
    Huub

Quote Originally Posted by huub vink View Post
    Looks great Milton and definitely something to look forward to . However, it also looks as a lot of work for somebody who announced his retirement.

(Not that we complain of course )

Cheers,
    Huub
    These old eyes aren't what they used to be Huub; that is the key consideration.

Plus it takes away from my aircraft FSX native conversion efforts.

So I suspect if I can do it, it must be spread over time.

Attached is a screen shot after adjusting her set in water. I forget the proper terminology now.

Any lower crashes the sim unless I remove some if the below water infrastructure.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails set.jpg  
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Oh man, that is just so cool
    Do not fear the enemy, for they can take only your life. Fear the media far more, for they will destroy your honour.

Stoney, it is indeed. Unfortunately, getting this model to work in FS9 is not possible due to poly counts (currently at 220K). The untextured screen shots above was the most I could get out of the model into FS9; lots of parts deleted or heavily "optimized" to achieve that.

If I do attempt to get this working properly in a sim, it would have to be FSX as a minimum.
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Attached is a screen shot after adjusting her set in water. I forget the proper terminology now.
    I think you're looking for the word "draft" to describe the ship's depth in the water, from the lowest point of the keel, to the waterline on the side of the ship.

Does this help at all?
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomTweak View Post
    I think you're looking for the word "draft" to describe the ship's depth in the water, from the lowest point of the keel, to the waterline on the side of the ship.

Does this help at all?
    Pat☺
    LOL Pat, yes that is it. It would not come to me as I was typing that post. Thanks :-)
    Milton Shupe
    FS9/FSX Modeler Hack

My Uploads at SOH - Here

Members who have read this thread: 0