Stock P-51B/C overhaul, northern Europe

Thread: Stock P-51B/C overhaul, northern Europe

Hybrid View

Stock P-51B/C overhaul, northern Europe

Let me throw a bit of a curveball here. With all the great early war aircraft around the later years deserve some attention too and there's one model that has been neglected for nearly the entire history of CFS3, the stock P-51B. Undoubtedly one of the most important aircraft of the entire war and a reasonably good looking MS model so I decided to finally put on the map properly. I have to admit that it turned out to be a bit of an ace collection but that's what everyone secretly wants anyway...

18 aircraft in total - P-51B and P-51C models, both with V-1650-3 and V-1650-7 engines, running on 100 or 150 grade fuel depending on the aircraft in question.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Outstanding ! Have the Sky Unlimited series but these look great ! Thank you so much on this neglected fighter. A very important US fighter that changed the air war in WW II. Thanks for all the time and work put into these. Regards,Scott

SOH-CM-2020

Eureka

Drooooool!

I just happened to be re-reading the book Dogfight by Tony Holmes https://www.amazon.com/Dogfight-Grea.../dp/0785830286 this morning and ran across a section talking about the P-51 production transitions through the different models.

First flight of the XP-78/XP-51B test aircraft for trial fitting of the Packard Merlin in the North American Mustang airframe was on 30 Nov 42. Full scale production began 12 month later. When they reached the field they frequently suffered from coolant loss and oil leaks, and the oxygen system had difficulty coping with the 4-5 hour long range missions over Europe. They also had chronic gun stoppages due to the thin laminar flow wings requiring the guns to be mounted at a 30 degree angle. Firing while maneuvering at anything over 1.5g would bring them to a permanent halt with the rounds failing to eject from the belt. Electric belt drive motors (borrowed from the B-26) were tried as a field expedient, but this issue was not entirely resolved until the introduction of the D model with it thicker wings allowing the guns to be installed fully upright (like the P-47). Introduction in early 1944 of the Malcom hoods for the B/C models helped improve the rear visibility handicap until the D models started arriving in mid-1944.

1,988 B models were produced in Inglewood, CA, and 1,750 C models were made in Dallas, TX.

p.s. I originally bought this book when I was working on the dynamic gunsight reticles. The B/C models had a 70 mm reticle sight, and the D models introduced the K-14 100 mm reticle sight allowing for much easier range estimation and deflection shooting. This difference does not appear to be accurately represented in the different CFS3 models I have installed.
    US Army, Major, Ret.

Service To The Line,
    On The Line,
    On Time

US Army Ordnance Corps.

Which simulator is this ? Have use some filters on this pictures ......is soooooooo beautyful.

Nice looking skins Rene! Seems like you're really coming into your own as a painter these days!

Mustang III, 65sqn RAF

A new entry has been added to Add-Ons Library, category CFS 3 British Aircraft

Description: Upgrade of the stock P-51B.

Credits:

Model by Microsoft, updated by Rene Leppä

Flight Model by gregoryp of AvHistory (P-51D-30) modified to reflect the Mustang Mk III by Rene Leppä

Skins by Rene Leppä

Pylons by Rene Leppä

75 gallon drop tanks by jaycee, repainted by Rene Leppä

To check it out, rate it or add comments, visit Mustang III, 65sqn RAF
    The comments you make there will appear in the posts below.

Blog Entries
    Love it ! Fantastic work ! Regards,Scott

Blog Entries
    I think these Mustangs,(Mustang upgrade package), Rene has done are the best, and well thought out, for CFS3 there is. If you don't have them ,they are a must have. Enjoy them immensely ! Thanks for all the research and hard work ! Regards,Scott

Members who have read this thread: 4