WW 1 bomber books?

Thread: WW 1 bomber books?

WW 1 bomber books?

I was just wondering if anybody knows of a comprehensive book about large (heavy) bomber operations in WW 1? There are libraries full of books about fighter operations and their pilots, but, considering that most of the major combatants had them there is not much, with maybe the exception of German raids against London, written about them, at least that I could find with a quick Google search. I know there are individual books about a type of plane or operation but that's not what I'm asking about.

What little I do know was that Russia and Italy had them from day one, the German "Gotha" raids (everything was a Gotha even if it wasn't) on London, the British had a 40 plane O/400 raid on the Saar region and were planning a V/1500 raid on Berlin when the war ended, but there must be a whole lot more.

Any thoughts?

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    The forgotten men of the bombers in WW I...Must have been really brave to get in those contraptions and take to the air. Can't wait to get another rig to handle WOFF. Miss it very much.Sorry can't help you in your search. Not much out there on that part of the air war.Haven't been able to find anything covering WWI Bombers and their crews. Regards,Scott

Thanks for the reply
    Maybe a subject for some budding aviation historian on a little discussed topic.

Suggested Books

I had a look on Amazon and found the following titles. I know you are looking for a comprehensive single-volume but perhaps these might be of interest.

https://www.amazon.com/British-Bombe.../dp/0897475054

https://www.amazon.com/German-Bomber.../dp/0897474163

https://www.amazon.com/German-G-Type.../dp/1935881264

As a librarian, I'd recommend you ask your local library for support and see if they can offer you some inter-library loans so you don't need to purchase the books to get a look at them.

I'll do some deeper research for you and see if I can find a better option.

Hope this helps.

KevinB
    USAF retired

I fell a little behind on the In Action series, but I do have the German one. It does seem that there might be a bit of an untold, or at least little told, story here. Maybe all the individual accounts need to be pulled together into one volume.

Sulphur,South West Louisiana in the good'ol USA
    Blog Entries
    Love the In Action series. Have a bunch of them,but they are all concerning WW II aircraft. I need to get all i can on WW I aircraft.Can't wait to get back into WOFF! Thanks for the heads up.
    Last edited by sixstrings5859; August 30th, 2019 at 23:15.

It should be noted that 2 of the In Action books that Bookman 1960 mentions above are about WW 1 bombers.

Members who have read this thread: 0