Think I'll leave these here ....

Thread: Think I'll leave these here ....

Think I'll leave these here ....

Huub and Nigel might kick me out for this......

ttfn

Pete

Members +

OH yes!
    Robin
    Cape Town, South Africa

Dare you !

Nice what if thanks !

Cheers
    L'iguane

Heheheeee....we should supercharge the engine.....(!!!)

If Red Bull isn't to your taste, there's the real thing

Still a work in progress.

ttfn

Pete

The repaints are great, especially the Cola one and I prefer the red Bull repaint above the highly polished Red Bull P-38 (Great aircraft, but I don't like the highly polished aluminium).

But the drinks these repaints advertise are both far too sweet for me. I'm either black coffee or just plain water.

Cheers,
    Huub

Wasn't happy with the tail on the Cola version, so changed it ....

And threw this together as well ...

Any comments before I upload?

ttfn

Pete

In the library chaps.

Ttfn

Pete

Breitling anyone?

now about that supercharged engine Magoo....this any good

Comments please?

ttfn

Pete

Where is the wing walker?

Cheers,
    Huub

That's a scary pic for me!

I watched a wing-walker get scraped off along the main runway at Reno, back in the late 60's sometime. I was pretty young, and I was pretty shocked at the time, so my memory of exactly what year it was is a little...not there. But the details of the incident were burned into my brain.

A Grumman Duck was the plane, and lucky for the pilot Bob Hoover was watching from above in his bright Yellow P-51, while the Duck's team did their act. He did that fairly often, when he had an act before or after the current race or act going on.
    They were coming in front of the stands, where there was a ribbon stretched across two very tall poles. Inverted, so the wing-walker was pointed at the ground, with her arms extended to catch the ribbon. Looked very neat on Saturday, when they did it first. On Sunday, though, they caught a tiny, little burble, and dropped a few feet. Normally, no big deal, but this time, welllll...
    Needless to say, the pilot was instantly blinded by... ummmmmm...stuff. Fortunately, he had the presence of mind to push on the stick, not pull. He radioed a Mayday right away, climbing out on what he presumed was a relatively straight and level set up, after getting upright somehow. Suddenly, almost like magic (to the eyes of a shocked little boy, ...me ), Bob Hoover's plane appeared in perfect formation on the Duck's wing. Since the radios were on the PA speakers, we could hear Bob calmly talking the Duck's pilot around the circuit, to a perfect landing. Locked to the guy's wing, all they way to touchdown, like he was in a added-on part of the Duck. Incredible aviation on both pilot's parts.

I understand the Duck's pilot climbed out of his plane once it was properly parked and shut down, and never went near that, or any other plane, again. Understandable...
    How he held it together that long was alway a mystery to me, but he managed, somehow. Naturally, as soon as he was out, he stripped off his...ummmm...soiled flight gear as soon as his feet touched the ground, and left it in a pile beside the plane.
    He got the "thousand yard stare", too. I can sure see why.

So, like I say, that picture, good as it is, is a little hard on me. Yes, I saw worse in the service, but this episode of my life really left a hard impact on me.

Good fortune and great flights to all!
    Pat☺
    Fly Free, always!
    Sgt of Marines
    USMC, 10 years proud service.
    Inactive now...

according to Google; that was a Super Stearman, and 1975 ....

anyways I've made a couple of changes , any takers, promise it will be cheaper than one of their timepieces ?

ttfn

Pete

Mail Call!

Work has been getting in the way of things recently ;
    have managed to splash some paint on these two; representing early mail haulers of Varney Air Lines (just the thing to imagine you are Capt Jeppesen) ; and National Air Transport .

Both of these companies would later be absorbed in to the Boeing and Pacific Air Transport Inc conglomerate ; which would then become 'United Airlines'

The distinctive upper wing colour was to aid in locating a downed plane; and therefore recovering the valuable mail. I've seen both red and yellow mentioned ; I chose red.

(and you've probably noticed I'm now showing paints in just this thread)

ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Motormouse View Post

Comments please?

ttfn

Pete

Magnificent paints Pete. i just tried out your Breitling paint on the FSX native version of the Tutor in P3DV4, and it works beautifully (almost) straight out of the box. I just changed the aircraft.cfg entry so it would use the "RCAF" model, which seems like it's identical to the "NoCowl" model you included. Beautiful paint. I will have to look for all your other Avro paints now. Cheers,

"Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

and Pacific Air Transport of Chrissy Field, San Francisco

ttfn

Pete

Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    Magnificent paints Pete. i just tried out your Breitling paint on the FSX native version of the Tutor in P3DV4, and it works beautifully (almost) straight out of the box. I just changed the aircraft.cfg entry so it would use the "RCAF" model, which seems like it's identical to the "NoCowl" model you included. Beautiful paint. I will have to look for all your other Avro paints now. Cheers,
    Many thanks Scott ; the gem in all this is Nigel's paintkit ; once you can navigate the layers its pretty straightforward to use.
    Sadly my system won't run FSX (or its variants) for more than 5 minutes without things degenerating to a slide-show;
    which is why I stick with '9' ; For the model , hopefully once Nigel has finished his farm chores for the summer and pops up again, we can get that addressed. Try it (paint) on the standard 'Townend ring' cowled model.

As for my other paints, feel free to do whatever is necessary to run them in your version. Most are based on historical fact or plausibility , although as you can imagine records from the early 1930's are incomplete; and photographic evidence even harder to find.

ttfn

Pete

Pete
    I like it. This is where it's becoming a wardrobe sort of thing, one can have a different outfit for breakfast, lunch and supper. A lot of creativity, effort, and sharing generosity there, Pete.

I think I can speak for everybody here when I say, "what you're doing is very much appreciated."

My thanks to you, Sir.

Regarding engine boost, I know that you know, what to do about it. But the are probably some flyers who may not be clear, so I'll put a brief description:

In FSX, we can create a proper supercharging setup that'll include the horsepower draw needed to spin the compressor. However, in FS9, we're limited to the good old generic turbocharger entry, which is massively easy to tweak, and flightsim user can do it with minimal tweaking experience.

Go to the aircraft folder, find the Aircraft.CFG and create an origal copy that you store somewhere safe. This is an original bakup to undo all the carnage you're going to wreak, should the need arise.

Now, open the Aircraft.CFG that's still in the Avro's folder with notepad.

Scroll down to the section [piston_engine] and then you'll see the lines:

turbocharged=0
    max_design_mp=0
    min_design_mp=0
    critical_altitude=0.0

Turbocharged= is an on/off thing. Add a 1.....and you've got a turbo.

max_design_mp= is your max manifold pressure inHg.

A value of 34 or 36 could be realistic for the Avros. If you start going higher than that, welll....that's a personal intimacy thing with leather and whips. I can only say that I must respect the user's privacy....IE....I don't want to know about it.

Hint....the Avro's CHT & Oil temps may have been tweaked for some sensitivity.....keep your eye on them after adding pressure.....

min_design_mp= This one is minimum boost. You could 3 or 5 (inHg)....or even 0.....which would work, but the instant the blower is spinning, there's going to be some pressure increase.

critical_altitude= this is pretty critical. Remember that this is really a turbocharger we're setting up, even though we're pretending it's a supercharger.

This entry dictates at what altitude the engine performance will begin to decay, where boost pressure can no longer be maintained at specified max value.

So.....for a nineteen thirties low volume supercharger......you could enter critical_altitude=5000.0, and that'd be reasonable. One can play around with it, run some test flights and tweak til it just sings your song.

Now....save the file and go test it in the sim.

Once the boost is set-up to your satisfaction,....head yea to Oshkosh and show them how it's really done......

Thanks Magoo,

From my RW knowledge, would have thought critical altitude would be closer to 8,000ft, but hey ho, don't know how microsoft have it programmed. (even turboprops start to fall off over @ 13,000ft)

Ttfn

Pete

Thanks Magoo,

From my RW knowledge, would have thought critical altitude would be closer to 8,000ft, but hey ho, don't know how microsoft have it programmed. (even turboprops start to fall off over @ 13,000ft)

Ttfn

Pete
    That's a user optional thing. At what altitude does the blower of your choice begin to lose efficiency? Enter a number and go test it.

The end user here can do anything they like. Certainly in the sim we could make an Avro 621 cruise a 70,000 feet.

My choice,( for my own use), would be to create a reasonable facsimile of a supercharger bolted to the back of the engine, as found in later 1930's radials, like the 300-450hp P&W R.985 and similarly rated Wright Whirlwinds, or...adversely....a twenty first century (Breitling?) exhibition machine.

Again, FS9 only simulates a turbo, but we can tweak it in a reasonable fashion, to replicate a more limited capability of a (whatever) period mechanical compressor system we'd like.

Those looking for an example, the FS9 default DC-3 displays a boost scenario for what was in reality a supercharged engine. Of course it's a WW2 or later portrayal of a much larger engine, listing max inHg as 47", with critical altitude of 7000'. Not a bad example within the limits of the sim.

If I remember right, R-985's in Beavers used about 36.5 inHg at takeoff, so that's my personal guideline for smaller displacement radials.

In Milton's Avia 57 trimotor, max boost was 30' with a critical altitude of 5000'. Essentially a low value designed more to scavenge the exhaust charge of overlapping timing rather that push the plane over the Himalayas. Think 1930's.

A modern display aircraft could use a lot more, as long as the owner is on good terms with a pro engine builder.

Fortunately....this is a simulation. (RELOAD.)

With that, it's playtime.......

For those who use FSX Acceleration, you can write in a true simulation of a supercharger, as well as nitrous, wep, and water/methanol injection.

See the FSX racer variants of Milton's XP-54 Swoose Goose for examples of Turbo with methanol & water and power multiplier to simulate a limited time nitrous system activation. (Very high performance!!)

The Acceleration P-51 Mustang Racer has a good set of entries for a highly boosted supercharger, fairly easy to understand.

Heads up, just uploaded the US Mail paints as a 3-pack ;
    guess they'll be available 'soon' once checked over.

ttfn

Pete

Something with floats now; Star Airlines (forerunner of Alaskan Airlines) commenced operations with a Fleet biplane;
    I've given them an Avro ; logo is correct , signwriting is artist licence.

ttfn

Pete

Afternoon all; Just uploaded the Star Airlines paint along with this one ----->

styled after Aeromarine Airways Inc for the Key West to Cuba mail run.

Going to be AWOL for a few days, off to the Sunshine State for family hols.

ttfn

Pete

Members who have read this thread: 0