Johnson-Peterson Airport Problems?

Thread: Johnson-Peterson Airport Problems?

Johnson-Peterson Airport Problems?

I've only had one user ask me about a problem he's having, but I wanted to see if anyone else is having a similar elevation problem. Seems as he's sitting on the runway he's actually underground about 20ft. From the VC it looks ok but from spot view he doesn't see his airplane. Anyone else?
    USAF Retired, 301st Fighter Wing, Carswell AFB, Texas
    My SOH Uploads: http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...erid=83&sort=d

Current System Specs:
    FSX/Accel | Windows10 64bit
    Motherboard: MSI760GM-E51(MS-7596)
    CPU: 3.9GHz AMD FX-4300 Quad-Core | RAM: 16GB DDR3 1333
    GPU: NVidia GTX 970 (4GB GDDR5)

Falcon, First let me say Thank You for these additions I have enjoyed them greatly. The only anomalies that I have experienced are: 1) At Waggner the AI aircraft landed below the surface of the runway and was tracked to the parking spot underneath the visible surface of the apron. My aircraft uses the hard surface that you have depicted without any problems. 2) At the Johnson - Peterson airfield I have trees growing up through the parking area apron. Again thank you for your work. I have another project in mind for you if you are interested and that is rebuilding the Ottumwa NAS in Ottumwa, Iowa back to 1945 era.

Falcon I also wish to thank you for your latest creations. I have them all and enjoy them immensely. The strange thing is, I've not encountered any problems with your JP airport despite anticipating these. I unfortunately had to uninstall your Wrangell as I was getting profound elevation problems and thought I'd likely see the same with JP. Fortunately this is not the case and I'm at least able to enjoy one of the two you just released. FSX boxed, Orbx NA landclass, Vector and FreemeshX here. I don't have the Tongass Fjords region.

PS. Should anyone be able to offer solutions to my Wrangell elevation problems I'd be obliged for the heads up. I realize that Wrangell will work for others with a different configuration than mine and was fully aware of Falcon's disclaimer for those using Freemesh. What is a bit odd is that JP works but not Wrangell with my particular setup.

Falcon, out of curiosity, is there any particular reason you don't use Freemesh? I was of the impression this is a very popular free enhancement.

Elevation problems are the bane of my existence when it comes to releasing any airports I do. There are a few things that you can check. . .first and foremost make sure the airport is above all other terrain mesh addons, in other words it needs to be at the top of the scenery library list. If you have Orbx you can set the insertion point for any Orbx installations to be below your addon scenery via FTX Central.

A word about FreeMesh_FX. I have all of it and used it for a time, but honestly I saw very little difference between the default and the Freemesh product. . .certainly not enough to even get a small "wow". In the case of the Alaska scenery I've done recently, I did try it again but it displayed the same elevation problems as Pacific Fjords so while I'm testing the airports and doing any flying in that region both are turned off. I am not at all mesh-savy so these major elevation problems are nothing I can fix.

If anyone has these sceneries and knows how to fix them, please don't keep it a secret.

Current System Specs:

I could not fix the elevation problems with Wrangell Ed which I believe is due to also having Pacific Fjords, which you spell out very clearly in your readme. I still enjoy seeing screenies here of your ever improving work!
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Ed, yes my Orbx is layered properly. Understood about your experience with Freemesh. Thanks for releasing these sceneries even though they may not fit all setups. Better to have some
    simmers enjoy them as intended than none at all. Keep 'em comin'!

I had troubles with elevation but believe it is Pacific Fjords. I don't think there is an easy fix to use Falcon's scenery in the PF area due to all the integration of their airports. They seem to have done some stuff in mass and disabling it changes things across the entire area, not just a local airport. This airport is outstanding but PF does not make it as easy as Orbx to replace individual airports. I think Orbx from the begining planned to replace individual airports within their larger areas so created lower density airports so they could be easily replaced.

I love Falcons airports and have every one outside of the Pacific NW installed. I do not have any of the Orbx Global stuff so anywhere but PNW is stock and needs his help to be usable.

I had fixed the elevation problems at PAPG by removing the Tongass Fjord AF2_FSX_TF_PAPG_elevation_adjustment.BGL from the P3Dv4\scenery\world\scenery directory.

Now I am enjoying a wonderful airport!

Many thanks!

Ernst

Quote Originally Posted by updraft View Post
    I had fixed the elevation problems at PAPG by removing the Tongass Fjord AF2_FSX_TF_PAPG_elevation_adjustment.BGL from the P3Dv4\scenery\world\scenery directory.

Many thanks!

Ernst
    Excellent news Ernst, thank you!

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by updraft View Post

Many thanks!

Ernst
    Ed: In my case (FSX) removing the Tongass Fjord AF2_FSX_TF_PAPG_elevation_adjustment.BGL worked for me also.

As always, thanks for all your wonderful airports.

Barry

I have an elevation problem at PAWG. I use Orbx but dont have pacific Fjords installed. I do have northern rockies installed. (I wrote to you by email on this.)

I did run the Orbx vector configuration tool after install. Didnt help.

Eric

I flew from Wrangell to Johnson-Peterson and a return flight back to Wrangell in a Ryan Navion. I must say on this pc they both look great and no real elevation problems to note. I am not running any aftermarket mesh programs beyond the default.

Nice touch on the redheaded woman waiting in front of the Alaska Airlines building! I even saw an Orca and watched it for several minutes. All is well.

Thanks again sir.

I have an elevation problem at PAWG. I use Orbx but dont have pacific Fjords installed. I do have northern rockies installed. (I wrote to you by email on this.)

Eric
    I will give PAWG a go - I have Pacific Fjords, but not Tongas Fjords, so maybe PAWG will work for me with just FTX Global, Vector and OpenLC NA.
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

Quote Originally Posted by p14u2nv View Post
    Nice touch on the redheaded woman waiting in front of the Alaska Airlines building! I even saw an Orca and watched it for several minutes. All is well.
    I did not know it would be possible to create that on that FSX scenery!!! That is AMAZING!!!

Regards,

Aharon

Quote Originally Posted by Sieggie View Post
    I had troubles with elevation but believe it is Pacific Fjords. I don't think there is an easy fix to use Falcon's scenery in the PF area due to all the integration of their airports. They seem to have done some stuff in mass and disabling it changes things across the entire area, not just a local airport. This airport is outstanding but PF does not make it as easy as Orbx to replace individual airports. I think Orbx from the beginning planned to replace individual airports within their larger areas so created lower density airports so they could be easily replaced.

I love Falcons airports and have every one outside of the Pacific NW installed. I do not have any of the Orbx Global stuff so anywhere but PNW is stock and needs his help to be usable.
    My old addled brain confused PF and TF. I believe the problem is with Tongrass Fjord from FSAddons.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by ejoiner View Post

Eric
    If you are using FSFreeMash_X for North America it causes the same problem that Pacific Fjords does, beyond that I have no fix for any other elevation problems. Each scenery has a flatten set to the height of the runway which, in theory, is supposed to eliminate sunken airplanes. . .it's apparent from the many replies I've gotten that that isn't always the case. Unfortunately working within the Orbx environment seems to cause more problems than it should for someone like me with limited scenery design knowledge. . .so all I can say is that if it works. . .Great. . .if it doesn't. . .delete it.

Current System Specs:

Quote Originally Posted by Sieggie View Post
    My old addled brain confused PF and TF. I believe the problem is with Tongrass Fjord from FSAddons.

Dave
    Yes, the readme indicates that Tongass Fjords, Pacific Fjords and FSFreeMesh_FX all cause elevation problems that I can't fix for others. I don't have TF and for me the others are fixed by deactivating them. I know there are those who don't want to have to do that and I understand.

Current System Specs:

Members who have read this thread: 0