Reinstallation of P3Dv4 went smoothly, but....

Thread: Reinstallation of P3Dv4 went smoothly, but....

Reinstallation of P3Dv4 went smoothly, but....

I uninstalled/reinstalled P3DV4 went smoothly, but I have questions about creating external location for addon files.

I read the posts made previously about it, but want to make sure I understand the process.

The only add-ons I have installed so far are the Simworks Nimitz and Phantom. Now then, the Nimitz installed to the Documents P3DV4 Addons folder, which I DID change the location to a different external drive. The Phantom installer only allowed me to install where my P3DV4 is located.

What I don't understand is how to change the location for all the various P3DV4 directories? Changing the Documents folder location was easy. Right click on Properties, change location, etc... But the other folders, not so simple? NC

It seems to be a case of newer additions from more enlightened developers give you the option of installing direct to P3D Root or Documents.
    Personally I prefer to go with the second option, as it's a separate drive with plenty of space and it is one less package to load with the sim.
    If the default location is the Sim Root then that is fine with me as well.
    Both my P3D installations sit on their own separate 1TB (SSD) drives, no space problems there.
    I do take the time to zip both into back up files (BIG backup files!) once I'm happy with everything, which go onto a remote drive.
    As for external locations, I (just me, myself) would not change file locations unless the option is part of the developers installation, as I always cull any skins on aircraft that I don't fly from the sim location.
    It cuts down loading time and they are always on my backup drive anyway.
    Unless you have a space problem I can't see any reason to deviate from the Developer's instruction.......................
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    I always cull any skins on aircraft that I don't fly from the sim location.
    It cuts down loading time and they are always on my backup drive anyway.
    Unless you have a space problem I can't see any reason to deviate from the Developer's instruction.......................
    I would GREATLY appreciate your sharing how to do that? For years, I have wanted to do that! NC

If the installer is built according to how LM wants to be done by developers, you can install anywhere outside of the root of P3D4 and the Documents folder. The documents folder is just the default. Several installers allow this. I have a P3D V4 addon's folder where all installs that allow it go. There are still some installers require installation into the P3D v4 Root. Which defeats the purpose for the addons method to begin with, change simulator versions with minimal impact to installed addons. And many folks have limited space on the drive where the documents folder is usually located, the C drive.

On older installers you have to manually edit the location of the addon itself and the add-ons.cfg file which needs to be in a certain format. To do this properly you also have to run a command line string on prepar3d.exe that installs the addon where you specify the path. There is a zip file that I have but don't remember where it came from. I can send if your interested in a manual install method.
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

Quote Originally Posted by docjohnson View Post
    If the installer is built according to how LM wants to be done by developers, you can install anywhere outside of the root of P3D4 and the Documents folder. The documents folder is just the default. Several installers allow this. I have a P3D V4 addon's folder where all installs that allow it go. There are still some installers require installation into the P3D v4 Root. Which defeats the purpose for the addons method to begin with, change simulator versions with minimal impact to installed addons. And many folks have limited space on the drive where the documents folder is usually located, the C drive.

On older installers you have to manually edit the location of the addon itself and the add-ons.cfg file which needs to be in a certain format. To do this properly you also have to run a command line string on prepar3d.exe that installs the addon where you specify the path. There is a zip file that I have but don't remember where it came from. I can send if your interested in a manual install method.

Hmm, although it doesn't sound difficult to use, me thinks the possibilities for screwing things up are enough for me to stay away from that, especially since I just got the sim reinstalled! Thanks anyway, Jim!! Pete

If you want to remove skins from an addon, just look in the aircraft.cfg file for the ones you use in the [fltsim.x] sections at the top. Anything not listed there will not be selectable for use in the sim. Copy the aircraft.cfg file, just in case, then edit the aircraft.cfg

How to suck eggs method :-
    The skins you DONT want to keep are the "texture=x" entries for the [fltsim.x] sections you DONT use - the Texture.x folder for these can be deleted from the addon folder. Then delete the [fltsim.x] section you dont want from the aircraft.cfg file. Renumber the remaining [fltsim.x] sections sequencially, starting at [fltsim.0].

So -
    [fltsim.0] I dont fly this
    title=PA38 Tomahawk G-BNKH
    sim=PA38
    model=
    panel=
    sound=
    texture=G-BNKH So I delete this FOLDER from the Simobjects/Aircraft/Someones PA38 Tomahawk folder
    kb_checklists=
    atc_id=GBNKH
    ui_manufacturer=Piper
    ui_type=PA38
    ui_variation=G-BNKH
    ui_typerole="Single Engine Prop"
    ui_createdby="Someone"
    description="Someones PA38 Tomahawk - G-BNKH"
    atc_id_font=Verdana,-11,1,600,0
    atc_id_color=0x00000000
    atc_heavy=0
    visual_damage=0

Then I delete the whole [fltsim.0] section from aircraft.cfg. and renumber the entries sequencially

If you make a mistake with the cfg file, you have a copy, and if you delete the wrong folder you can always re-install the addon, or restore it from the recycle bin - not that I've done that..

The addon folders method isn't that complicated. If you already have addons installed using this method you can copy the 'addon.xml' file and edit it with the right names and paths. You dont need to run a script to get the sim to recognise it - you can edit the addons.cfg file in C:\users\yourname\appdata\roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 (copy an existing entry) and change the name. You may also find an addons.cfg in C:\ProgramData\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4 (SWS seem to use this location) - only edit ONE of them!

Only problem I have found with this is that Alabeo/Carenado use a specific folder for some cockpit sounds which I have to copy to the Prepar3D v4 Sounds folder - must be something to do with how its called by the relevant gauge file.

Its definitely a better method for addons, been a godsend this last fortnight with 4 installs of P3D before I found a dodgy overclock on my CPU!
    Last edited by teeboy; August 25th, 2019 at 23:34. Reason: text

Quote Originally Posted by Navy Chief View Post
    Hmm, although it doesn't sound difficult to use, me thinks the possibilities for screwing things up are enough for me to stay away from that, especially since I just got the sim reinstalled! Thanks anyway, Jim!! Pete
    Pete,

No problem, if you decide later you would like to install them outside of P3D v4 root, let me know.
    Very Respectfully,

Jim 'Doc' Johnson, SMSgt, USAF (Ret)
    Fac Fortia Et Patere

Members who have read this thread: 0