3 Akemi Plane Questions- well, 2 out of 3 anyway

Thread: 3 Akemi Plane Questions- well, 2 out of 3 anyway

Alpine, CA in San Diego's beautiful back country!

Icon22 3 Akemi Plane Questions- well, 2 out of 3 anyway

Hiya Guys,

Got a couple of questions about Akemi's Zekes and one more general question.

1. Is there any model, manufacturing difference- engine installed, wingspan, center of gravity, etc., between his A6M2b and his A6M2b-t or, as I suspect, is the difference just cosmetic- tail marking etc.?

2. Did Akemi, or anyone else for that matter, ever do an A6M3 Mod32- the one with the square wing tips?

One more general question about real world Zekes:

3. I know (I think, anyway) that the A6M2-N "Rufe" was manufactured by Nakajima but were any of the land or carrier based A6MX also manufactured by Nakajima?

That's it,

Thanks
    MR
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH
    MR Albums at SOH MR Web Site

I did a A6M3 Zero Model 32. I think Akemi did as well. Link to mine below.
    http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...53&linkid=6069

Wikipedia says that Nakajima did make land or carrier based Zeros.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Icon22

Thanks Allen!

Yes, the "Hamp"

Got it downloaded.

They switched back to folding wing tips and made some other mods the to "Hamp" didn't they? Do you happen to know what that model was called? Was that the A6M3 Mod.22? What was its nickname- if any?

Thanks again, Allen
    MR

PS: ...just read through the article in Wikipedia. They don't mention any nickname for that modified "Hamp" except to confrm that it was designated Mod.22.
    "A sandwich and a cup of coffee, and then off to violin-land, where all is sweetness and delicacy and harmony, and there are no red-headed clients to vex us with their conundrums.”

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

The Mod 22 fixed the problems of the Mod 32. Most notable was adding the wingtips back and more fuel so that the range was closer to the A6M2's.

From what I can tell the A6M3 Mod.22 was a "Zeke" as it looked the same as A6M2.
    "Let Being Helpful Be More Important Than Being Right!" Some SOH Founder.

Don't suppose you would know the difference between Akemi's A6M2b and his A6M2b-t.

Is it just a difference in markings and cosmetics or is there an actual manufacturing, specifications difference between the two?

Its hard to make out from Akemi's readmes because so much is indecipherable.

Cheers,
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Howdy Mask,

My understanding is that Akemi’s A6M2b-t is a tribute to Saboru Sakai (forgive my spelling). The radios installed were so terrible that they were rarely used. Sakai had the radio removed and cut the antenna mast removed so that he could possibly fly from the base he was operating from at the time to Rabaul due to the reduced weight.

When his CO saw what he had done to his Zero, Sakai was asked to do the same to his CO’s zero.

Quote Originally Posted by MaskRider View Post
    Don't suppose you would know the difference between Akemi's A6M2b and his A6M2b-t.

Is it just a difference in markings and cosmetics or is there an actual manufacturing, specifications difference between the two?

Its hard to make out from Akemi's readmes because so much is indecipherable.

Cheers,
    MR

Icon22

Allen,

Excuse me for not posting a few screenies of your A6M3 Mod32 but I got all sidetracked sorting through my old Akemi A6M3 and A6M3b downloads and combining them with the A6M3_(Hamp)_Talos_repaints skin pack. Turns out that the Akemi's A6M3 is the Mod32 and the his A6M3b is the Mod22.

A couple o' screenies: first up, a gray followed by a green Mod 32 and then a grey followed by a green Mod22

Cheers,
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22

Allreeet, Allen,

Got your A6M3 Mod32 "Hamp" loaded up and took her for a spin over Tabiteuea Atoll

Great piece of work. Thanks.

MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

Icon22

Quote Originally Posted by Browncoat
    Howdy Mask,

My understanding is that Akemi’s A6M2b-t is a tribute to Saboru Sakai (forgive my spelling). The radios installed were so terrible that they were rarely used. Sakai had the radio removed and cut the antenna mast removed so that he could possibly fly from the base he was operating from at the time to Rabaul due to the reduced weight.

When his CO saw what he had done to his Zero, Sakai was asked to do the same to his CO’s zero.
    Hiya Browncoat,

Thanks very much for bringing me up to speed about the A6Mb-t. Years ago I read his biography, "Samurai". Enjoyed it very much. Sakai was quite a guy.

Cheers,
    MR

― Sherlock Holmes

MR Downloads at SOH

MR........

....buried in Akemi's "readme" is a notation that the "T" has the tailhook removed. So I guess as well as being Sakai's plane it also had no tailhook.

As for general question 3, yes Nakajima did build several thousand of the carrier/land plane versions and all the Rufes.

Members who have read this thread: 0