OT: HOT DANG!! My Kindle Has Shipped!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: HOT DANG!! My Kindle Has Shipped!!

OT: HOT DANG!! My Kindle Has Shipped!!

You may be wondering what the hell this has to do with flight sims huh? Well, what I am looking forward to is putting all my PDF files for the many payware a/c I have on this thing. It even has a feature that allows the material to be read to you. Ain't that sumptin?! Here is a link to the gizmo in question:
    http://www.amazon.com/Kindle-Amazons...rd_t=101&pf_rd

Oh yeah it's good for reading books too which happens to be my favorite hobby of all. I should be getting it on March 2, can't wait
    ASUS SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK1 LGA 1150 Intel Z97
    Intel Core i7-4790K Haswell Quad-Core 4.0GHz
    Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced - High Air Flow Full
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX TITAN X
    DirectCU II R9280-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready
    EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified 1000W

Congrats!

Let me know what you think of it. I have toyed with the idea of getting one as well.
    Regards, Bob

Core i7-9470 4.4GHz 8MB Cache | Dual 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 | 16GB DDR3 SDRAM at 2300Mhz | 500GB Samsung Evo SSD | 2TB Seagate Barracuda | 1200 Watt Power Supply| Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit

VFR Reviews
    That would be great for checklists :ernae:

I've had mine for six months or so and really really like it.

It's a little hit or miss on pdf's as some just don't format properly and the index doesn't work well with them.

You can also see what's happening at SOH if you're away from your computer too.

cheers,
    steve :wave:

Sounds like something that you want shipped in a very plain package...
    Regards,
    Robert

harleyman
    Can you install a plane on it?

Looks pretty cool to me.......

With the amount of books I read every year this thing will save me alot of time and money. I guess with the read back feature it could be set up to do checklists too. It's gonna be interesting to find out.
    DirectCU II R9280-DC2T-3GD5 Radeon R9 280 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready

My sister was telling about these things. My wife would have a fit if I suggested getting one though. I have so many paper books I haven't read, without getting an electronic one!

NC

Master of Disaster
    I think people are missing an amazing point in this thread.......there's a Marine who can read!! hehe Make that two Marines because I'm a book worm. That thing looks cool as hell! I love gizmo's!
    If government was the answer, it was a stupid question!

Slightly OT

Quote Originally Posted by pbearsailor View Post
    I've had mine for six months or so and really really like it.

It's a little hit or miss on pdf's as some just don't format properly and the index doesn't work well with them.

You can also see what's happening at SOH if you're away from your computer too.

cheers,

Steve question for you, have you used the Read back feature? I am deaf and use a Cochlear Implant, I do a great deal of support for new patients and I am always on the look out for new tools to help patients practice learing to understand speech after getting an implant. If the voice is not to "Computerized" this might be an excellent tool for Implant patients. The other question I have is when using Read Out Loud does the device highlight words as they are read?

Sorry for straying off topic folks but this could be an important tool for my CI friends, Steve if you have some experience with that feature I would love to know about it, please feel free to PM me so this does not hijack the thread any further.
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

Scratch, I would love to "hear" your impression of the Speech function of the device once you have it, if you get a chance to try that function, I would be most greatful for any feedback - PM if you have the time.
    :focus:
    Regards,
    Mike "Ears Hopin" P.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Freedom , everyone enjoys it, very few defend it. - If You Won't Stand Behind Our Troops then feel free to stand in front!

Quote Originally Posted by gigabyte View Post
    Scratch, I would love to "hear" your impression of the Speech function of the device once you have it, if you get a chance to try that function, I would be most greatful for any feedback - PM if you have the time.
    :focus:
    Will do. One of the videos on the Amazon site uses the talkback feature and the voice does sound a little computerized, but not by a whole lot. I was surprised that it sounded more 'human' than anything else. You can also choose between a male and female voice.

Quote Originally Posted by gigabyte View Post
    Steve question for you, have you used the Read back feature? I am deaf and use a Cochlear Implant, I do a great deal of support for new patients and I am always on the look out for new tools to help patients practice learing to understand speech after getting an implant. If the voice is not to "Computerized" this might be an excellent tool for Implant patients. The other question I have is when using Read Out Loud does the device highlight words as they are read?

Sorry for straying off topic folks but this could be an important tool for my CI friends, Steve if you have some experience with that feature I would love to know about it, please feel free to PM me so this does not hijack the thread any further.
    Don't think you're too far OT, gigabyte, it's a Kindle thread. Mine is the first generation Kindle and Scratch will be getting the new Kindle 2 that's just coming out. Mine does not have the Read Out Loud feature on it, so we'll have to see what Scratch says when his arrives.

cheers,

Update: Just got the damned thing in the mail today and it's busted. Oh the gods can be cruel sometimes:faint: That's what I get for using the US Postal service. Customer service at Amazon is super nice and are shipping me another one today. Now I gotta wait till Monday

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MudMarine View Post
    I think people are missing an amazing point in this thread.......there's a Marine who can read!! hehe Make that two Marines because I'm a book worm. That thing looks cool as hell! I love gizmo's!
    :costumes: Marines can't be too dumb. They can all speak Latin.
    John

My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II

AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz
    32 GB DDR5 RAM
    3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
    RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Ita vero, esne comoedus?:d

Yea that's how it went for me until I turned it on and all I got was a bunch of black bars followed by profanity from me that could've made paint peel. Customer service said it was probably dropped pretty hard. Oh the agony...........dang it

harleyman
    Thats terrible...Sorry to hear that...Shipping...Gotta love it....:argue:

Got it yesterday and I tell ya it is the best thing to come along since sliced bread and boneless ice cream!! The A2A manuals look really nice on it, hot dang, no more printing! I just email the PDF file to my Kindle address and Amazon converts them for .10cents and sends them straight back to my Kindle, pictures and everything. Using the text to speech feature, I can have the manual read to me while flying around. Kindle is my co-pilot:gossip::woot: Oh yeah, it reads books too:d I'm gonna take some pictures of how the Accu-sim manual looks on it and upload them here. This thing is seriously cutting into my flying time though.

harleyman
    Dang...Now how cool is that..

Just gotta love technology ...

I can feel the excitment!!!!! Love new toys and yes they do take priority over everything including eating and sleeping. Thats when you know it is a cool toy.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by limjack View Post
    I can feel the excitment!!!!! Love new toys and yes they do take priority over everything including eating and sleeping. Thats when you know it is a cool toy.
    Hmmm....
    Sounds like the exact same words I heard from a woman (I think Cloud9Gal) who was describing her new.....

Ooops! Wrong forum....:d

So the Kindle works well for this stuff? Glad to hear it!

I'm using my iTouch for the same thing, reading manuals for FSX and Orbiter (as well as over a hundred books from the Federalist Papers to Jurassic Park ). I know the Kindle's screen is bigger but text on the iTouch is so sharp - especially in the landscape mode - that I don't have any real problems with it. Transfering files is tricky and somewhat hit-or-miss with .pdf's (I can always copy the text to Word or Notepad and transfer that easily) but it works in the end. I hope there's some way to transfer files for free, Scratch, 'cause even at $0.10/upload, free is still better.

I'm glad there's options out there for this sort of thing. Having gotten into this stuff as well, I have to say there's nothing like a Kneeboard Simulator to go along with your Flight Simulator!
    What military aircraft are you?

You are an EA-6B. You are sinister, preferring not to get into confrontations, but extract revenge through mind games and technological interference. You also love to make noise and couldn't care less about pollution.

EgoR64

The kindle looks cool, However it does not come close to boneless Ice Cream !! LOL !!:friday:

So does it just read PDF's ? Does it have a browser and such, semi smart ?? Wireless ?? Control lights in the House ?? Turn TV On ??

Hi Lazer,

I like those Ipod Touch's, Both me kids have em, very neat little device, the Safari browser is way cool.

Cheers !!:ernae: