Is this a good set-up for FS9/FSX in Windows 10 Pro?

Thread: Is this a good set-up for FS9/FSX in Windows 10 Pro?

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries

Is this a good set-up for FS9/FSX in Windows 10 Pro?

I've been off the air for about two weeks or so due to RW matters, getting my son w/cancer down here for care for his condition. Just prior to taking care of that move my machine quit after being shut down overnight, losing the screen saver and then the desktop display froze on the monitor after I attempted to move the mouse. The basic machine is about 14 years of age, various things have been replaced as needed. The shop was unable to reproduce the problem that locked the machine up. I'm wondering if this thing is on its last legs.

That being said, the shop has a machine that is available, built by them, specs are as follows:

Gigabyte GA-B450 M.2 motherboard
    AMD 7th Gen 9600 Quad-Core Processor
    Viper DDR4 8GB memory (I would upgrade to 12 GB, personal preference - that's what this one has)
    SP 512 GB Solid State Drive
    Rosewill Tower
    EVGA 450W power supply
    Radeon 7 series graphics
    24X DVDRW
    Logitech keyboard & mouse
    Windows 10 Pro
    $599.95 USD

The last system item causes me some concern based on problems others on this site have reported re: incompatibility between the W10 OS and FS9/FSX. However, others on this site have reported a problem-free FS9/FSX conversion from W7 to W10, but I don't know if they went with W10 Home Edition or W10 Pro. The computer tech stated W10 Pro will allow the owner to hold off on installing updates/changes coming down the pike from MS whereas the other versions do not offer this feature. I'd like to keep that capability if possible. I hate the company/OS sneaking something in on me while I'm asleep.

I need to determine whether, in the group's opinion, this is a decent setup for FS9/FSX; whether 12GB of RAM is overkill or just right; and just how fast or "tricked-out" a video card (with cooling tower) this setup can tolerate without burning itself to a crisp.

I have W10 on my system, it came with my brand new PC and had it for 3 years now. I run FS9 and FSX on it no issues. My W10 is a Home edition x64 bit version and it has updated automatically over time and I've had no probs with it at all. W7 was the base for the W10 on my PC I think, the shop put it together for me (PC and W10 systems).
    I have 16gb memory DDR4 as well so I think you would do better with 16GB than 12GB. Lots more room. It isn't overkill at all.

In the past I did have a little problem with Focus Assist on W10, but I got that sorted out. It can be disabled or enabled and at the moment it's disabled so that it won't make a nuisance of itself popping up while I'm simming or doing something else.
    Mark

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    I'm glad you mentioned the W7 base for your machine, they have offered to move everything that is on my "C" and "E" drives over to the new one; everything that is currently on this machine was put on there with Windows 7 Home Premium as the OS. Hopefully they will mesh properly with the Windows 10 OS.

Windows 10 Pro comes with a raft of software, but the Home version has enough features to suit most user's needs.
    It should not be a problem with everything being moved to the new drive and should be fine.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by SSI01 View Post
    I've been off the air for about two weeks or so due to RW matters, getting my son w/cancer down here for care for his condition. Just prior to taking care of that move my machine quit after being shut down overnight, losing the screen saver and then the desktop display froze on the monitor after I attempted to move the mouse. The basic machine is about 14 years of age, various things have been replaced as needed. The shop was unable to reproduce the problem that locked the machine up. I'm wondering if this thing is on its last legs.

That being said, the shop has a machine that is available, built by them, specs are as follows:

Gigabyte GA-B450 M.2 motherboard
    AMD 7th Gen 9600 Quad-Core Processor
    Viper DDR4 8GB memory (I would upgrade to 12 GB, personal preference - that's what this one has)
    SP 512 GB Solid State Drive
    Rosewill Tower
    EVGA 450W power supply
    Radeon 7 series graphics
    24X DVDRW
    Logitech keyboard & mouse
    Windows 10 Pro
    $599.95 USD

The last system item causes me some concern based on problems others on this site have reported re: incompatibility between the W10 OS and FS9/FSX. However, others on this site have reported a problem-free FS9/FSX conversion from W7 to W10, but I don't know if they went with W10 Home Edition or W10 Pro. The computer tech stated W10 Pro will allow the owner to hold off on installing updates/changes coming down the pike from MS whereas the other versions do not offer this feature. I'd like to keep that capability if possible. I hate the company/OS sneaking something in on me while I'm asleep.

I need to determine whether, in the group's opinion, this is a decent setup for FS9/FSX; whether 12GB of RAM is overkill or just right; and just how fast or "tricked-out" a video card (with cooling tower) this setup can tolerate without burning itself to a crisp.
    I'd say this system would be ok for FS9, but it is weak for FSX. The AMD 9600 CPU is an older generation CPU, it has four CPU cores that run at 3.1 GHz and the boost mode takes all four cores to 3.2 GHZ, but to get the the maximum of 3.4 GHz, only one or perhaps two cores will reach that limit. The 450 watt PSU is also a bare minimum for this system. Keep in mind that MicroSoft's flight simulator series has always run better on Intel processors and Nvidia based graphics cards. It's the difference in CPU and GPU architecture that makes a real difference in the performance of MS flight sims.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Quote Originally Posted by stansdds View Post
    I'd say this system would be ok for FS9, but it is weak for FSX. The AMD 9600 CPU is an older generation CPU, it has four CPU cores that run at 3.1 GHz and the boost mode takes all four cores to 3.2 GHZ, but to get the the maximum of 3.4 GHz, only one or perhaps two cores will reach that limit. The 450 watt PSU is also a bare minimum for this system. Keep in mind that MicroSoft's flight simulator series has always run better on Intel processors and Nvidia based graphics cards. It's the difference in CPU and GPU architecture that makes a real difference in the performance of MS flight sims.
    What he said...
    I'd certainly be looking for something a wee bit higher-specc'd than what you listed.
    Sure, it'll cost more...but be a little more future-proofed as well, particularly if you want to keep it as long as you have with the old one...
    FSX has it's own built-in limitations [32bit - can't benefit from modern head-room with cores, heaps of ram, etc] but the 'next' sim from MS will certainly be wanting as much grunt as you can throw at it...

Stick with W7 for starters.
    And perhaps look into building your own rig, when all is said and done it's just connecting cables and plugging a few components into a box.
    You get to tailor you kit to your own spec as well.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Stick with W7 for starters.
    It is ok as far as one stays out of Internet (it´s bad world out there) after 1/14/2020. MS is ending support for W7.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/micr...dows-7-support

If you want something cheap and effective try the ryzen 3200g. A far better architecture than the one you picked, and a far better integrated GPU as well. Make sure you get a dual channel memory kit (as in two sticks of same size/spec) for optimal performance. Should run fine with 450w psu too.

Windows 7 support ends in a hair over 4 months from now, so I'd plan on using Windows 10. At some point, software installers will drop support for Windows 7, so in the future you may be out of luck when it comes to installing that new scenery, aircraft, or gauges.
    My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Members +
    Stick with Windows 7.. For goodness sake, why??
    Support is ending in a few months, and there is no reason to stay with an obsolete operating system.

I've been using Windows 10 for a few years, and have been running 6 different unique installs of FS2004 without any issues at all, and my Windows 10 is totally up to date.
    The only caveat is that the sims must be installed in C:/, NOT its default install folder, in XP mode, and as Administrator. That takes a few seconds to do.
    By the way, I'm using Windows 10 Home, i5, 4gb RAM.

Just my two humble € cents worth:

- Best to go with building one yourself. You'll get more bang for your buck
    - Windows 10 is indeed the way forward as support for Windows 7 will end at the end of the year.

Priller

Windows support?

I hear what everyone is saying but I'll cross the W10 bridge if and when it becomes necessary.
    MS are already working on programs that will only install under W10 so yes, eventually it will become mandatory.

Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

SOH-CM-2019
    Blog Entries
    Trust me, I'm reading these all -

If I were to go to Windows 10, Home or Pro, can someone describe for me the home-built system they believe would handle both FS9 and FSX, and the best graphics card for both? This thing will without doubt be generating some heat, so what would be the best cooling system to be using?

I like the term that was used a few comments back - "future-proof." If possible I'd like to do that as much as possible and make periodic upgrades as painless as possible. System should be able to absorb upgrades when necessary w/o extensive modification.

BTW We are retired on fixed incomes - decent pension plus annuity, but nothing extravagant. I have to justify this to the bride of 30+ years.

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    Windows support?
    Yes windows 7 support will end, i.e. drivers for the obsolete OS will no longer be available. Also, even today, Windows 7 is becoming a security issue. It's history. Period.

Priller

If I were to go to Windows 10, Home or Pro, can someone describe for me the home-built system they believe would handle both FS9 and FSX, and the best graphics card for both? This thing will without doubt be generating some heat, so what would be the best cooling system to be using?

I like the term that was used a few comments back - "future-proof." If possible I'd like to do that as much as possible and make periodic upgrades as painless as possible. System should be able to absorb upgrades when necessary w/o extensive modification.

BTW We are retired on fixed incomes - decent pension plus annuity, but nothing extravagant. I have to justify this to the bride of 30+ years.
    It all depends on your budget of course.

You could try this: https://pcpartpicker.com/

Cheers,

Priller

Future proof?? Phooey! No computer hardware is future proof. For best results with FSX etc, Intel and nVidia have been preferred and you have to see what your beloved will stand. I’d suggest going for reasonably fast components throughout the system, including an SSD drive for much speedier storage. That way you should be in with a chance of running the new MS sim when it comes out. Also you can never have too much memory, so get 16gb as a working minimum. Fancy cooling systems are only really needed if you build a complete hot-rod
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Blog Entries

Yeah, forget about future proof. Designed obsolescence and all that.

As far as cooling, I'm running the Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler with good results. I also installed two 200mm case (exhaust) fans above the thermal cooler to pump out the hot air. Very quiet too with those big blades.

See my specs, my system runs hot enough to heat a room but still remains comfortably within tolerance if I don't overclock. If I were going to overclock, I'd look at a good water cooling system.
    BTW, one thing to consider with that thermal cooler is case width and memory height. Tall memory with LED will present some challenges for fan clearance. I'd go with non LED memory.

I'd highly recommend a self build. I'm also on a budget and built my system out of pocket, on limited resources. Once you build your own setup, you will never go back. lol
    He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors.
    Thomas Jefferson

Intel Core i9-9900K Coffee Lake | Cooler MasterAir Maker 8 CPU Thermal Cooler | ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E LGA 1151 | CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB 288-Pin DDR4/3200 | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB | SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series M.2 1TB SSD | Mushkin Chronos 240GB 2.5 SSD | WD Black 2TB 7200 RPM |WD Black 5TB 7200 RPM | CORSAIR HX Series HX1200 PSU | Windows 10 HP 64-bit

Quote Originally Posted by Priller View Post
    Yes windows 7 support will end, i.e. drivers for the obsolete OS will no longer be available. Also, even today, Windows 7 is becoming a security issue. It's history. Period.

Priller
    I agree, the only way I would use a W7 system is if that was what was originally installed in it and I did not want to upgrade any hardware, but otherwise if connected to the interweb its a big security risk. Any new system or if re-installing from a blank disk go with windows 10. W7 home was a problem in that it limited you to 16 GB off ram but W10 home can use 192 GB.

I use Windows 10 Home and have not had any issues with it, Pro comes with a lot of features you might need at work but you won't need for a sim computer. I am also more of a fan of Intel chips rather than AMD, I just don't trust them.

8mb is OK for FS9/FSX but those are the past. Current sims like P3Dv4 and X-Plane can take advantage of 16 or 32 GB of memory and run much smoother and defiantly need more graphics than a Radeon 7 series graphics . But nobody can say what is future proof, who knows what P3Dv5, XP-12 or MSFS2020 will require.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Members +
    I'm using FS2004 on my i5 4GB ram laptop, Windows 10. As I said before, no issues at all with my 6 different installs.
    What must be remembered is that Windows 10 is a 64bit operating system, and FS2004 & FSX are both 32bit, and can only use a maximum of 4GB ram, including graphics RAM, so any more ram that you have will not and cannot be used by the sim. Any Additional ram to the 4GB can be used for multitasking..
    That's pretty much a basic explanation of 32bit vs 64bit and memory issues.

Just a by the way, my current laptop came with Windows 10. My previous laptops came with Windows 7 & 8.1, and I updated both, at the time, to Windows 10, with no issues ever at all.

No overclock = no concern with cooling. Simple as that. Any stock cooler that comes with the product, be it cpu, gpu, psu or anything else will be perfectly fine and within spec.

Thermaltake Level 10 VL300A9N1N Titanium Limited Edition Case [No.221]

Corsair ASX 1200I Platinum Certified 1200w Modular PSU

ASUS X99 Deluxe LGA2011v3 MotherBoard

Intel i7 5960x 3.00Ghz @3.50Ghz LGA2011v3 CPU

Noctua NH-D14 SE2011 LGA2011 CPU Cooler

32G Corsair Dominator Platinum [4x8G] 2666MHz DDR4 Ram

ASUS Strix GTX980 4GB GPU

512G Samsung XP941 M.2 PCIe x4 SSD

2 X 240G Corsair Neutron GTX SSD

1 X 3TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata2 HD

2 X 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata2 HD

Thermaltake eSports Level 10 M Hybrid Wireless/Wired Gaming Mouse

ASUS BC-12D2HTBlu-Ray/DVD-RW

ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q IPS 27" LCD Monitor 2560x1440 32bit

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit.

When that was put together it was the fastest money could buy [pretty much].
    At the time the OS didn't even know what an M.2 was... or DDR4.... so it was an 'entertaining' build.

4 years later it's gonna still be faster than about 90% of the computers on the planet.

OK, so as a DIY it still cost the better part of 10 grand [AUD].....
    And it's still on Win7 and probably will remain that way for SEVERAL more years..... in spite of the suggested doom and gloom re MS grandfathering the OS. An intelligent user isn't going to be at risk with 7 and an idiot user will still be at risk with 10.

The 'simplistic' WEI in Windows [for 7] goes to 7.9 ....this thing was 7.9 [once MS recognized the DDR4].

There IS such a thing as 'future-proofing'....but it takes quite a bit of money, and yes, one day it'll eventually be 'past it' [just like me]...

This is a decent ready built system but I agree 110% with Jafo's post.
    This retails at A$1800 less loose change but it comes from on of our really good suppliers.

FWIW the Pacific Peso is only buying US$00.66.............

'Scorptec Bloodhound'
    RTX 2060 Apex Gaming PC,
    Intel Core i5 9400F 6 Core,
    Intel B360 Chipset,
    GeForce RTX 2060 6GB,
    16GB 2666MHz RAM,
    512GB M.2 NVMe SSD, 2TB HDD,
    MSI MAG Vampiric 010 Case,
    550W PSU,
    Win 10 Home

Intel chipsets and Nvidia graphics would be the best to go for plus W10 Home 64 bit for your setup.
    Mark

Members who have read this thread: 0