Can't find tutorial

Thread: Can't find tutorial

Can't find tutorial

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out Lods for making a building in GMAX, I beleive I need the tutorial I've seen mentioned in a post:

Yes for GMAX. The building tutorial in the FS2004 GMAX gamepack "docs" folder describes how to.

"C:\gmax\gamepacks\fs2004\docs\gmaxSceneryTuto rial .doc"

I would gather it would be similar for FSDS, but I haven't tried it in that tool and don't know the specific steps there.

The tutorial is part of the FS2004 SDK

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555857
    But the link is dead and I can't see this kit in the SDK thread on here (might just be being daft). Could someone point me in the right direction please?

Thanks.

The entire FS2004 sdk can be found at several places on the web, FlyAway Simulation being one. There's quite a lot of it...
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Quote Originally Posted by hairyspin View Post
    The entire FS2004 sdk can be found at several places on the web, FlyAway Simulation being one. There's quite a lot of it...
    Thank you.

This tutorial is really useful, but I have one problem that I wonder if someone can quickly help with. (My online searches aren't seeming to solve it).

I'm dividing an edge and creating a vertice, how do I ensure that the vertice is exactly in the middle?

Thanks if you can help.

You want Meshtools 2.5 from ScriptSpot - it’s free.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/Meshtools

Just make sure you’re working in Editable Poly when using the tools. Highly recommended!

I did a thread on setting up a toolbar in Gmax for Meshtools:-

http://www.sim-outhouse.com/sohforum...-for-MeshTools
    Tom
    __________________________________________________ ___________________________________________
    Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding. Proverbs 4:7

Thanks; the install directions in the readme refer to 3dsmax4, I have 'discreet Gmax (with CFS3 gamepack)', do you happen to know if it can be installed for what I have?

Meshtools 2.5 works fine with Gmax, I used it for years. 3ds Max has the same functionality built in since version 9 or thereabouts. (Gmax is Max version 4 with certain features disabled)
    Tom

Thanks,do you recall how to install it by any chance?

The zip file includes a readme.txt! However, since it's targeted at 3ds Max 4 users:—

1. copy Meshtools-Macroscripts.mcr to ...gmax/ui/macroscripts

2. copy Meshtools-Functions.ms to ...gmax/stdplugs/stdscripts

3. copy the icons MeshTools16a, MeshTools16i, MeshTools24a and MeshTools24i.bmp to ...gmax\ui\Icons

You can now follow the other linked thread to make a useful toolbar.
    Tom

The zip file includes a readme.txt! However, since it's targeted at 3ds Max 4 users:—

1. copy Meshtools-Macroscripts.mcr to ...gmax/ui/macroscripts

2. copy Meshtools-Functions.ms to ...gmax/stdplugs/stdscripts

3. copy the icons MeshTools16a, MeshTools16i, MeshTools24a and MeshTools24i.bmp to ...gmax\ui\Icons

You can now follow the other linked thread to make a useful toolbar.
    Yes I was reading that, but I don't have a macroscripsts or Icons folder in UI, or anything in stdplugs other than a file called ExportM3d.dle; is it just case of adding in those folders manually, then putting the files in, will that work?

Apologies if I'm being dull here.

I don't understand that at all, the ui/macroscripts folder is a standard gmax folder, as is stdplugs/stdscripts. Are you sure you're using Gmax v1.2? (Help menu, About gmax...) There was an earlier version 1.1 if I remember correctly.
    Tom

I don't understand that at all, the ui/macroscripts folder is a standard gmax folder, as is stdplugs/stdscripts. Are you sure you're using Gmax v1.2? (Help menu, About gmax...) There was an earlier version 1.1 if I remember correctly.
    Yes, says it is 1.2, I'll try uninstalling and reinstalling it.

I think I have found my issue with Gmax; it was originally installed outside of programme files(x86) and this hadn't installed properly. I've reinstalled in that location and I see a whole host of extra files in the folders mentioned above.

Thanks. Hopefull now I can get the useful tools added in etc.

Members who have read this thread: 0