Fight For Honor 2019 - 1 V 1 Dogfighting Tournament

Thread: Fight For Honor 2019 - 1 V 1 Dogfighting Tournament

Fight For Honor 2019 - 1 V 1 Dogfighting Tournament

I have been getting emails about this tournament, and enrollment is now open. I have never even flown online in DCS World, but I'm thinking of giving this a go, just for the fun of it. I was watching a 4 V 4 "SATAL" tournament on dcsworldevents on Twitch a couple of weeks ago, as I subscribed to that channel. Despite a pretty slow build up, the fights themselves are good to watch. This 1 V 1 dogfighting tournament sounds really cool, and all proceeds are going to a good cause. There are also pretty great prizes for winners.

Pick any aircraft and dogfight 1 v 1 (guns only) against other players across the world in this charity event to support the fallen and their families. DCS pilots will fight for the opportunity to fly in DCS with real F/A-18 and F-16 fighter pilots C.W. "Mover" Lemoine or Trevor "Gonky" Hartsock. All proceeds of this event will benefit Folds of Honor.
    Opening day rounds will take place later on September 7th and on the following day, September 8th. Closing tournament rounds will then be taking place the weekend of the 28th and 29th. Participants will be flying multiple times on each day as long as they continue to win.
    Age requirements: 18 | Registration is now open and will last until 5 Sept 2019 | Registration fee is $20 USD.
    You must have an account already registered on dcs-world.com before registering. Join the DCS Discord for more detailed info about the tournament. Upon registration, users must select any official DCS aircraft they will be flying with throughout the tournament. The free modules are allowed. Registrants will submit their information into the FOH website and a CSV will be compiled and sent to DCS World Events. Registrants will be contacted with their time slots.

• 1st place DCS flight with C.W. Lemoine, Thrustmaster F/A-18C HOTAS Add-on Grip, and F-16 Module or DCS module from Eagle Dynamics module of choosing.
    • 2nd place DCS flight with Gonky, DCS module from Eagle Dynamics of choosing.
    • 3rd Place DCS module from Eagle Dynamics of choosing.

Sincerely,
    The Eagle Dynamics Team

https://secure3.convio.net/fohf/site...kets&id=100361

https://youtu.be/EaOqFVUtuI0

"Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

I htink I'm going to join this. It's a good cause and 1 v1 guns only BFM is where it's at!
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO
    Heatblur Rivet Counting Squad™

I ended up signing up for this tournament at the last minute, and have just checked the schedule. My first match is at 12 PM Saturday, or 4 AM Sunday my time! I'm not too crash hot at BFM at the best of times, and 4 AM is not the best of times . Oh well, should be a bit of fun. Now, which aircraft to use?......... My first thought is the Hornet because it is a good all rounder and powerful and agile, not to mention it's what I have been flying for the past few months exclusively. I was talking to a work colleague about the comp today and we started discussing the matchups like Hornet vs Spitfire. It will be interesting to see what everyone ends up flying. I have noticed a lot of guys in the SATAL 4 v 4 tournaments like the SU-27.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Use the Hornet. Most guys don't know how to BFM properly anyway. It'll give you the best power v agility available ATM.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Here's a video of one of the round 2 matches from the Fight For Honor with some post match commentary from C.W. Lemoine. The winner of the tournament gets a prize and gets to fly with and fight against this guy, who is an ex F/A-18 pilot. I think he currently flies the T-38.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_fzAIN1oh8o

This is a good match, between a Hornet and a Mirage. There were a surprising amount of Mirages in this competition. I got beaten by a Mirage in the second round. I actually get a mention in this video, right near the end (20:20) when he's talking about a match that was funny to watch and "painful", that was my match . Me and my opponent both lost sight so flew around for about 10 minutes trying to get a visual again. I beat another Hornet in my first round, but my second round match was terrible. I really hope to do another one of these tournaments in any case.

DCS World Events who ran this tournament, also do weekly 4v4 tournaments, and I just got another email about a new 2v2 BVR comp starting in November. I am thinking about finding a wingman (or flight lead) and entering the 2v2 comp.
    Last edited by scotth6; September 19th, 2019 at 07:55.

Scott,

Try the JUST DOG FIGHTS b server. You can select guns only, 1v1 or heaters and guns. I go on there just to toy around. Each fight has its own area. Air start red v blue. Very fun.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Thanks for the info Rick. I will check that out. Did you end up flying in the Fight for Honor tournament? If so how did you go?

Cheers,

I didn't. I wanted to, but it wouldn't allow me to sign up.. I tried the day before the deadline. I didn't wait on purpose, I forgot about it and then remembered, and thought I was lucky enough to remember the day prior to the deadline.....oh well....Ha! I can't believe that was you during that long cat and mouse! LOL..... funny. Small world.
    MACH 3 DESIGN STUDIO

Haha, yeah, that match was not fun. I still blame the time difference . I really did not fly well. My opponent did lose me too, but overall he was a much better pilot on the day, and I had no answer for the Mirage. Don't know if you saw our first match, but the ground killed me, because the Mirage was all over me and I was trying everything I could to get him off me, and was too close to the ground. The one time I got behind him in the second match, he forced me to overshoot. French guy in a Mirage, what are you gonna do?

Overall though the whole experience was fun, and a learning experience for me. Hopefully there are more tournaments like it.

Members who have read this thread: 0