Upcoming Captain Sim sale everything $20.20

Thread: Upcoming Captain Sim sale everything $20.20

Upcoming Captain Sim sale everything $20.20

Just got this email from Captain Sim:

Captains,
    Time flies. Captain Sim is 20!
    Any anniversary discounts? You bet!
    On the 20AUG at 2020Z, just 20 hours 20 minutes, everything is $20.20 at https://www.captainsim.com
    Stay tuned,
    Captain Sim News

Just fyi, although I don't know if there's that many CS P3Dv4 models available. But I'll take a look.

-RobM

Quote Originally Posted by RobM View Post
    Just got this email from Captain Sim:

Captains,
    Time flies. Captain Sim is 20!
    Any anniversary discounts? You bet!
    On the 20AUG at 2020Z, just 20 hours 20 minutes, everything is $20.20 at https://www.captainsim.com
    Stay tuned,
    Captain Sim News

Just fyi, although I don't know if there's that many CS P3Dv4 models available. But I'll take a look.

-RobM
    Outstanding! I will be buying their 1011! Thanks! NC

Well, wish they had the 707 and 727 ready for 64 bit, but this is still an opportunity. Had the 777 in FSX so may replace that, thought the SkySpirit freeware one is pretty good. Recommendations?
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

I looked over their store and the '$20.20 for everything' doesn't seem to cover base packs.
    An odd mix of pricing in fact.

"Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

Quote Originally Posted by wombat666 View Post
    I looked over their store and the '$20.20 for everything' doesn't seem to cover base packs.
    An odd mix of pricing in fact.

I don't think it's started yet. I looked at the time and it will start about 6am AEST (2000 UTC), and then run for 20 hours. I am tempted by their 757 again, especially at that price, but I'm not really sold on it. I have never been that in to the 757 for some reason. I have a 717, 727, 737, 747(FSX only), 767, 777, and 787, but for some reason never really wanted a 757 .
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Quote Originally Posted by expat View Post
    Well, wish they had the 707 and 727 ready for 64 bit, but this is still an opportunity. Had the 777 in FSX so may replace that, thought the SkySpirit freeware one is pretty good. Recommendations?
    Not sure about their 777. I had some issues with it, and ended up shelling out for the PMDG 777-200 not too long ago. It wasn't really buggy or anything but the CS 777 just wasn't as polished as the PMDG is, and I really didn't like the night lighting, so that's what tipped me over in the end. I must say I am very happy I finally got the PMDG 777. If you're not that in to systems and you don't fly at night then I would say the CS 777 is worth it as the modelling is nice and the basic functions are there and flight dynamics are pretty good..

I agree I would love to see the 727 updated. Also the 767. I use the 727 and 767 in P3DV3 quite regularly and enjoy them both.

I have never tried it, but I have heard good things about the 737-200, and I think that is 64 bit now.

I am thinking about the 737-200 and the 757, but I'm not sure I will grab either one. I already have lots of airliners.
    "Try to stay in the middle of the air. Do not go near the edges of it. The edges of the air can be recognized by the appearance of ground, buildings, sea, trees and interstellar space. It is much more difficult to fly there".

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by scotth6 View Post
    I don't think it's started yet. I looked at the time and it will start about 6am AEST (2000 UTC), and then run for 20 hours. I am tempted by their 757 again, especially at that price, but I'm not really sold on it. I have never been that in to the 757 for some reason. I have a 717, 727, 737, 747(FSX only), 767, 777, and 787, but for some reason never really wanted a 757 .
    Exactly. It’s due to start 20 Aug at 2000 hrs Zulu.

That said, it’s the L-1011 I hope is on sale. Otherwise, I’m out. Maybe the Space Shuttle, if it’ll work in v4 (I think it doesn’t, but will have to double check).

I am thinking about the 757 or 777. Maybe the L-1011 but since I already have the JF pro version that works in V4 I am not as eager.

I really wish they had upgraded there 707 and 727 versions, even if they were just minimum upgrades to 64 bit.
    Joe Cusick
    San Francisco Bay Area, California.

I am serious, and stop calling me Shirley.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blanston12 View Post
    I am thinking about the 757 or 777. Maybe the L-1011 but since I already have the JF pro version that works in V4 I am not as eager.

I really wish they had upgraded there 707 and 727 versions, even if they were just minimum upgrades to 64 bit.
    Agreed - the 707 and 727 are actually higher on my wish list by a long shot. I never got those while I was in FSX. I just may get the Aerosoft DC-8 if/when it goes on sale and scratch the 4 smoke jetliner itch that way.

But at the right price, the L-1011 could be worth it - will see.

Anyone have the CS 757 for P3Dv4? I have been reading some pretty poor reviews, particularly regarding performance. On their forums there are heaps of people getting upset over the lack of support regarding performance, and these are people with current top of the line PCs.

Yes, the sale's up and running, and everything is $20.20 US, even the expansion packs that were only $19.95 a couple
    of hours ago.

Anyway, I'm still kicking around if I want to get any of the P3Dv4 planes available, even at this price. I'm just not much
    into tube liners these days. Oh well, there's still about 18 hours to think about it.

-RobM

I know these would normally go in the screenshot thread, but since this is about Captain Sim's sale, I wanted to post them here. The L1011 is beautiful!! NC

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2019-8-20_17-18-21-163.jpg   2019-8-20_17-18-39-866.jpg   2019-8-20_17-19-8-394.jpg   2019-8-20_17-19-35-610.jpg  

Picked up the 757! One of my favorite planes to fly on, might as well try flying it.

My mistake, time zone dyslexia!
    Nothing of interest for me aside from the L1011 and that's not on my 'must have' list.
    The rest are already in my hanger, but if they actually got off their collective butts and sorted the B727 and B707 out for P3D4 I'd be onto those like a Seagull on a piece of hot fat.
    "Illegitimum non carborundum".

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv X D-RGB Tempered Glass ATX Galaxy Silver
    Intel Core i9 10980XE Extreme Edition X
    ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Encore MB
    Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB (8x16GB), PC4-30400 (3800MHz) DDR4
    Corsair iCUE H100i ELITE CAPELLIX White Liquid CPU Cooler, 240mm Radiator, 2x ML120 RGB PWM Fans
    Samsung 4TB SSD, 860 PRO Series, 2.5" SATA III x4
    Corsair 1600W Titanium Series AX1600i Power Supply, 80 PLUS Titanium,
    ASUS 43inch ROG Swift 4K UHD G-Sync VA Gaming Monitor, 3840x2160, HDR 1000, 1ms, 144Hz,

The rest are already in my hanger, but if they actually got off their collective butts and sorted the B727 and B707 out for P3D4 I'd be onto those like a Seagull on a piece of hot fat.
    Very hard to resist these big price discounts, however, I am ambivalent about the L-1011 - I have the JF one and only need to spend a little if I want the 64 bit upgrade - AND it's the -500 series which I much prefer. I had the FSX CS 777 but agree as above the night lighting was problematic (leaking through the glareshield? Can't remember exactly) and there were other niggles. The freeware SkySpirit 777 is excellent and the superb FS9 VC was converted to native FSX (see simviation) and the combination does it really for me. Ditto the SkySpirit 767. So that then leaves the CS 757 for P3D, which I can't get very excited about and resent buying separately a cargo version - sheesh!

The 707 and 727 on the other hand have some of the most satisfying and wonderfully immersive VC's I have ever found. Shame they have not got around to converting these classics. So may just wait to the next sale . .
    Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.

I picked up the L1011 and was pleasantly surprised despite some negatives I heard about it. Generally, the Autopilot and systems logic seem pretty solid. The FDE and Engine perfs need some attention but they are manageable. For me it's issues with the drag and thrust curves. Otherwise it handles pretty well.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I ended up succumbing to the temptation of a sale, and picked up the 757 III base pack and freighter expansion. Pretty happy to pick them both up for $40.40 USD, compared to $125 USD for both of them without the sale. Performance is not fantastic, but it is not bad really. Probably about equal to the Aerosoft A320 or PMDG 737 as far as I can tell, although that is with some things such as volumetric lights and 3D cabin disabled. So far I am pretty happy with it. It looks great, there are heaps of animations and modelled extras, flight dynamics seem good, and so far no obvious glitches with basic systems such as autopilot. I like flying cargo aircraft and I have a few sceneries that are hubs for cargo, so I'm glad I picked it up, and I will definitely get some use from it.

I have had the Captain Sim 757 since it's very first open beta release for FS9 back in 2006 and seen it updated/refined many times and end up a great model for it's time. When I got the current version on sale a while back, I was pleasantly surprised at the overall refinements. To me it was the same old easy to use model refined visually and coding wise, still flies very nicely which is how the real bird does, a Pilot's Airplane. As far as the L1011, coming from the Justflight version, I see things I like better but it's kind of a trade-off so to speak. One thing that did irritate me, the Captain Sim L1011 is using modified engine sound files from the old FSX 707 which sound nothing like RR RB211 turbofans so I just moved over my sounds from the JF L1011. There are a number of freeware alternatives for the engine sounds that are suitable as well. But hey, for $20, I ain't complaining really. That price is like the good ole days when we just bought a payware model cheap, installed it and had fun flying.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Members who have read this thread: 0